• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3/4/2015 - Elio Motors Tech Talk V58 - Recent Frontal Crash Test Simulation

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have seen many people think this however right now it is not possible for the states to do this as it would actually be against current Federal law, specifically U.S. Code Title 23, section 166. This law specifically says that states must allow motorcycles onto HOV lanes on federally funded highways, without charging them HOT toll charges, and specifically excepts motorcycles from the minimum occupancy rules.

The interesting thing to me about this section of law is that is says that the states "shall allow" motorcycles but only "may allow' public transportation vehicles. So states have to allow motorcycles regardless of people on board however it is optional whether they allow higher occupancy public transportation into the HOV lanes. o_O
Perhaps, since it will have better milage than any Hybrid car (which here in FLA. for $5.00 gets you a tag to HOV w/ no passengers necessary) this might prove to be a work-around.
My opinion, if it has a "little " plate, no problem.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know you've all seen THIS one: (no jaws of life needed :D)

You do understand the Smart is about 1/3 the size of an Elio. Otherwise that size car has been driven around Europe and the UK for years, my wife and I owned a Polski Fiat back when we were first married, you didn't even have to wait for the accidents they had air cooled engines that just caught on fire all the time. One of our best friends had Trabant sedan, bigger than a Polski but shorter than Elio (wood composite body, despite what the propaganda says, yes you could punch your fist through the door!) that you never saw in wrecks because when something happened they just burned to ground.

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps, since it will have better milage than any Hybrid car (which here in FLA. for $5.00 gets you a tag to HOV w/ no passengers necessary) this might prove to be a work-around.
My opinion, if it has a "little " plate, no problem.

It looks to me like the rear licence plate holder has been designed to accommodate both small and standard license plates...

Top Bottom