• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't need a solid volume, just a manifold surface.

The largest size I can print is a 10" diameter and 35" tall. Anything printed would have to be solid, so no looking at the interior or anything. It would be a single color ABS, and I can't do any kind of volume, so I can do test prints of your model then you can use a place like http://www.shapeways.com/sell to sell the model in the customers choice of material, from powder to stainless steel.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't need a solid volume, just a manifold surface.

The largest size I can print is a 10" diameter and 35" tall. Anything printed would have to be solid, so no looking at the interior or anything. It would be a single color ABS, and I can't do any kind of volume, so I can do test prints of your model then you can use a place like http://www.shapeways.com/sell to sell the model in the customers choice of material, from powder to stainless steel.

Correct, that would be a waste of ABS. But Blender, and I assume Sketchup Design are only meshes that have no thickness at all. It'd have to be imported to a CAD program to give a thickness, say .080", to the meshes to convert them to actual surfaces that could be printed. Blender's easier to 'create' stuff in, but it's useless (unless there's been upgrades I'm not aware of) for 3D printing. Enough of my babbling, I need to go check out your link. :)

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct, that would be a waste of ABS. But Blender, and I assume Sketchup Design are only meshes that have no thickness at all.
All I need is a mesh. The standard file format for 3D printing is STL, which is just a surface, the slicing program fills in the internal volume according to the settings I use. Typically I use a 20% solid square grid to fill the interior volume of non structural parts

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I am following through with making a 3D graphic of the Elio P4. It's going a little more slowly than I first estimated. This is because I'm doing a better job than I do for my vehicle concept work.

I only have 2d drawings to go by, and I didn't have a top view to start with. I could still use one, either a blue-print or a photo, but it has to be directly center from above.

Then I will try and work with SG, or will find a 3D print service and get a price and other details required to 'print'. I have even seen ones that take Sketchup files direct to print.

It may take a couple more weeks to finish this, I only can work on it in front of the TV a couple hours before bed each night. I'll keep you posted, and put up 2d snapshots in this thread as it progresses.

ohh, that would be sooo cool.. May I order a keychain size (3 " length) and maybe a desktop/ paperweight size ( about 6") right now?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Maybe over time we can exchange how-to's"

Absolutely, but I'm going to need a bunch more practice. I did make a set of wine glasses in Blender that look pretty real. Youtube tutorials are great.
It's going to be cool and rainy here this weekend. Perfect weather to sit inside and play with software.
I'm guessing "step 2" is importing to a CAD program to give the meshes thickness so the 3D printer can work it's magic.
Yes, for 3d print that would be it.
The 'silver' version of my Atlantric was an import to another program where (step 2) it had the surface 'normalized and re-meshed' before being put into Solidworks to be run though aerodynamic simulation. In this case the 'rough edges' and voids were taken out or softened.

Some other step 2 (and step 3-5?) would be required if the intent were MCD cutter path data for a machine tool.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that. Might be easier than I was thinking. Get to work AriLea! I need a new toy!:D
Yes, Sir! In progress. I'm at 20% now I think. I'm working the nose of it, very challenging to get the surface geometry right.
Very good that I only need surfaces. I plan to not define the window glass, so that it will can include an interior when printed.
Well, maybe I'll copy to a version that has the glass and no interior.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slowly but surely, definitely getting somewhere. This is a 2d snap shot exported.

Elio3D.png

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:)
Slowly but surely, definitely getting somewhere. This is a 2d snap shot exported.

View attachment 3040

AWESOME! Looks like it's coming along nicely AriLea! I might get to play with it in Blender this weekend. Don't have to work, and the weather's going to be drizzly and cool. Going to get some quality time on the couch with the laptop.

Here's a Blender tutorial I did about a year ago. Just ran across it cleaning out the random crap that accumulates on my computer. It was my first attempt, but the software does a pretty good job at making objects look realistic.

wineglasses.jpg

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

Top Bottom