• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling I am going to need a bigger printer. :eek:

But seriously I am glad you like them. I am color limited by the plastic material which is available for the printer but they offer a variety of general colors which should work well. The colors available for my printer are:

Black
White
Dark Grey
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Tan
Pale Yellow
Yellow
Neon Orange
Red
Magenta
Coral
Purple
Navy Blue
Blue
Teal
Neon Green
Green
Forest Green
Brown
Glow-in-the-drak Neon Green
Glow-in-the-dark Neon Blue

We will have to see what colors are popular and exactly how many vehicles I can get out of each spool of material as the spools are about $50 each.

*The colors are shown in the image below as well however due to the variation between monitors the exact shades may not be the same as the material.

View attachment 4295
I think I would like 3 miniature sizes, both glow in the darks for my kids and one orange for me. As with everyone else, let us know the costs when you find out.

I have a gut feel that you may have to beef up the linkages and side view mirror connection in the 3-D printings to avoid easy breaking of those parts.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FYI, and a Heads-up for EM, So I find this 3d printing of a prototype more interesting than the idea of actual mass production using 3d.

This is cool.

Keep in mind anything good for prototyping can be good for low volume/high value fabrication.
Really interesting video. I've never seen 3d printing before. Pretty amazing.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I would like 3 miniature sizes, both glow in the darks for my kids and one orange for me. As with everyone else, let us know the costs when you find out.

I have a gut feel that you may have to beef up the linkages and side view mirror connection in the 3-D printings to avoid easy breaking of those parts.

I have thought of the issues with the mirrors and the suspension. The mirrors are the more difficult thing and I may even have to leave them out for smaller models. I will likely end up with some kind of support base across the front end to support the outrigger wheels and the front end of the vehicle thus taking the stress off the suspension. All part of the process.

I will let everyone know when I have things figured out. :)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can also just add a gusset ( in red ) below the mirror arm as they do in toys and simply accept the variation from reality.
Gusset.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, that is a nice solution to try. I will have to experiment with it.

Kind of thinking about your 3D Elio experiment here. The way 3D printers operate, you might have to add a scaffolding (trimmed off after printing is complete) of sorts below the Elio body, and between the front wheels (basically, anything not touching the printer base). You can get away without doing this on SLS and the EBM type that use a base of particles (plastic/metal), and add layers as it prints. But I can't see how, with the Cube or any other unit that uses a nozzle/nozzles to lay down material, it's going to defy gravity constructing the floor pan or suspension arms.

Just thinking out loud...uh...with my fingers. :rolleyes:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, G1, there may be a way out of the predicament I mentioned above. If you print the Elio body including front suspension and wheel fairings "without" wheels/tires, but left cavities where they'd go, it should work [floorpan and fender fairings would be making contact with the printer base]. You could then print the wheels/tires separately and add them to the Elio body/fender model. I suppose you could print all the parts during a single print process if you laid them out right. Might be easier than modeling a scaffolding under the models you downloaded. Just throwing it out there for your consideration. :)

Top Bottom