• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am actually debating going in a different direction again. :D

There appears to be a very large demand for these miniatures, even larger than I expected :eek:, so 3D printing them all may not be the answer as that is a very slow process and has its own set of issues. I am considering 3D printing some vehicles which I can use to create several negative molds in RTV silicone. I would then use those molds for resin casting.

This would still take some labor but would also be a more reliable process with a good mold being able to be easily reused 20-25 times. This would actually also result in a stronger solid miniature.

This same process could be repeated for the components needed to assemble a larger model. :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio Motors 3D Printable Design Concepts (www.facebook.com/elio3dprinting) miniature Elio project is moving along. The printer arrived yesterday and I set it up today then I used the preliminary computer model for some test prints to test the new printer. They are not too bad at all for a preliminary computer model printing at the lowest resolution setting and using default automatically generated support structures.

While there is still a lot of work to be done before I am able to provide an accurate timeline or cost estimate things are developing quickly into a somewhat more solid plan. As I mentioned above I am looking into resin casting as a way to produce a number of Elio miniatures reliably in a cost efficient manner. This was just one of many good ideas I have received and I continue to welcome ideas and offers of assistance as some of these have proven to be quite helpful so far and I am sure that will continue.

I know everyone is tired after the long week with its up and down news from Elio Motors so I hope you all enjoy these pictures of a brand new 3" long Elio prototype.

First miniature Elio using the preliminary computer model for some test prints to test the new printer. These are at the lowest quality setting with default automatic support structures. The black base area is about 3" long.
test elio in printer.jpg

test elio.jpg

First miniature Elio trailer using the preliminary computer model for some test prints to test the new printer. These are at the lowest quality setting with default automatic support structures. The black base area is about 3" long.
test elio trailer.jpg

test elio trailer in printer.jpg

The workbench where it all happens.
test workbench.jpg

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well isn't that the sweetest little thing I've ever seen!:) Even at the lowest setting, I still know it's an Elio!:D Great job Hector! You can put us down for 2, blue and red please! Will these be strong enough to add a small eye hook and add a key ring?

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I found a cool deal on a 3-D printer and just could not stop myself from buying it. :eek::D

It should be here in a couple of days so likely next weekend one of my first things to do with it will be to try and print my own Elio model using the files AriLea was nice enough to produce for us. :cool:

If it works out well enough I would be willing to print out more for others. Likely would take a 'donation' to cover the materials. I will have to see how much material it takes to print out each one as the spools are not exactly inexpensive. :eek::)
I'm in! 1:32 size sounds perfect. make it one color.. I'll paint it myself.
my attempts at getting it done by a 3D printing co. fell flat. I guess they just weren't interested..

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am actually debating going in a different direction again. :D

There appears to be a very large demand for these miniatures, even larger than I expected :eek:, so 3D printing them all may not be the answer as that is a very slow process and has its own set of issues. I am considering 3D printing some vehicles which I can use to create several negative molds in RTV silicone. I would then use those molds for resin casting.

This would still take some labor but would also be a more reliable process with a good mold being able to be easily reused 20-25 times. This would actually also result in a stronger solid miniature.

This same process could be repeated for the components needed to assemble a larger model. :)

Ahh, looks like you've done your homework on your little project! :) I wasn't aware that your software would put a default structure under it...very cool. The resin casting is also a fantastic idea, and a whole lot quicker. You could even make crystal clear versions with that method [using a degassing chamber to minimize the air bubbles]. But be careful on making promises on production dates. Wouldn't want some people calling you a 'scam artist, liar'! ;):D

I'm jealous! I know what I want for my birthday! A Cube!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW, awesome, Superb!
This is a little much, but, any chance I can get an Atlantric print in a small size?

Actually, I do have a 15in(more or less) mold for Atlantric already. If anyone wanted a cast made, let me know. GoofyOh, if your activity turns into real business, I could be talked into turning that mold over to you. But it is a huge size for anyone's desktop or bookshelf.

So I was looking at the 'red' profile presentation of the Elio. I believe that might be the closest to the Year1 improved version. So I'm thinking of making that a new 3d model in anticipation of what Year1 might look like. It does have the 'better' nose and the extra 2" head height for the passenger.

If I can get back over to the auction show today, I'll ask if that's in play or if the P4 is the actual final design.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
WOW, awesome, Superb!
This is a little much, but, any chance I can get an Atlantric print in a small size?

Actually, I do have a 15in(more or less) mold for Atlantric already. If anyone wanted a cast made, let me know.

So I was looking at the 'red' profile presentation of the Elio. I believe that might be the closest to the Year1 improved version. So I'm thinking of making that a new 3d model in anticipation of what Year1 might look like. It does have the 'better' nose and the extra 2" head height for the passenger.

If I can get back over to the auction show today, I'll ask if that's in play or if the P4 is the actual final design.

Give me a few weeks to get everything sorted out and I will likely send you a few different things including an Atlantric. :)

I hope you can make it back to auction as it should be interesting to see what they are saying after this week of good news and not so good news. :D

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give me a few weeks to get everything sorted out and I will likely send you a few different things including an Atlantric. :)

I hope you can make it back to auction as it should be interesting to see what they are saying after this week of good news and not so good news. :D
Also, anything you want to have me hand deliver to the local Mesa Office for EM, I know where that is.

lol, do you think I make anyone at EM nervous, since I know where they work and play?

Top Bottom