• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

7/4/14 - Jo Borras Article: Elio Motors Q&a With Paul Elio... The A Part

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chair dance is instead of dancing while standing, you dance while sitting. Indicates an emotion of happiness.
Thanks Jeff,
All these years and I hadn't heard that one. I need to get out more.:rolleyes:
chair dance.jpg
:D

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did I mention anything about transparency? I thought I was clear about funding answer, answer given was what I expected. Did I say I had a problem with it? I'm pretty sure I said, answer given was what I expected and left it at that. You are the one that brought up transparency..........You agree with what the man himself said (Paul Elio) about lack of funding delaying the vehicle? Was there any reason to disagree with Paul Elio ( I quoted his words)? I'm not sure where your going with this or why you brought it up. Like your saying we can discuss this but throw in a backhanded complement or a jab. Because your adding/implying things in my post you quoted, that I did not say or imply.

Now to the engine, they pay to have it developed to save money (from the article), but instead of building it themselves, are buying it from a supplier. At this point why not have IAV assemble the whole vehicle in that plant in Louisiana? They can still make the claim "made in the USA", by American workers, and think of all the money he can save by having German based IAV, US unit assemble the vehicle.
This has been dealt with before. IAV does not make or assemble cars in any sort of production capacity. They design engines and make one-offs or very limited numbers for racers. I do wish people would read the various threads or even take the trouble to visit IAV's website and find out what they do. This is called basic research. Everyone here should be capable of it.

Jerome Vassallo told me the three reasons for doing the engine themselves. That was reported in an earlier thread regarding Elio's visit to Columbus and my conversation with Mr. Vasallo.

He said:

1. It is actually cheaper than buying ready-mades. (This surprised me, but that's what he said).
2. There are no ready-mades available in the right weight class with enough torque. Vassallo told me that "this car is supposed to deliver 84 mpg at 65 miles an hour, and if it's always downshifting, it can't do that. We need a longer stroke than is available in other similar-sized engines."
3. Auto makers have a strong belief that putting their name not he engine matters, both to themselves and to the public.

So fugged about IAV assembling quantities of cars or engines, and fugged about buying someone else's engine. It's not happening.

Can we please all go on to something more interesting?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To the casual observer there should not be much of an obvious difference however there is a difference in how they are assembled. The P5 prototype will be built just like the last prototypes where nearly everything is built from scratch using a set of plans. Using the P5 as a template they will then verify as built dimension, and create some preliminary tooling as needed, which will allow them to produce sub-assemblies just like they would have in the manufacturing plant. These sub-assemblies are then assembled into pre-production vehicles in a sequence similar to what they would be in the plant. This process ensures that the pre-production vehicles are actually very similar in construction to the eventual production vehicle.
You know, this is really a very clear explanation. Thanks for that!

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This has been dealt with before. IAV does not make or assemble cars in any sort of production capacity. They design engines and make one-offs or very limited numbers for racers. I do wish people would read the various threads or even take the trouble to visit IAV's website and find out what they do. This is called basic research. Everyone here should be capable of it.

Jerome Vassallo told me the three reasons for doing the engine themselves. That was reported in an earlier thread regarding Elio's visit to Columbus and my conversation with Mr. Vasallo.

He said:

1. It is actually cheaper than buying ready-mades. (This surprised me, but that's what he said).
2. There are no ready-mades available in the right weight class with enough torque. Vassallo told me that "this car is supposed to deliver 84 mpg at 65 miles an hour, and if it's always downshifting, it can't do that. We need a longer stroke than is available in other similar-sized engines."
3. Auto makers have a strong belief that putting their name not he engine matters, both to themselves and to the public.

So fugged about IAV assembling quantities of cars or engines, and fugged about buying someone else's engine. It's not happening.

Can we please all go on to something more interesting?

Elio lists IAV as a supplier not a vendor, contractor, or subcontractor. What does that mean?

Basic research, ah like looking at various companies throughout the world, that offer 2 & 3 cylinder engines (a couple of countries have big markets for this, and are in 3 wheeled vehicles, but that would require a simple search to find this out). And as I have said (but you would have to do a search) license the right to build the engine themselves, thus saving them (Elio) money.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope, as an engineer I have some experience in product development however this information came from putting together information I have learned from my discussions with Elio Motors and from thoroughly reading through all the Tech Talk emails which as a whole contain a lot of useful information.

IAV is solely the engine design and drivetrain integration company. The engine itself is being cast by the Grainger & Worral foundry and will be assembled by Elio Motors in the Shreveport plant. This information was published in various Tech Talk emails from Elio Motors.

You hear a lot of things, like Elio has the money, it's delayed due to regulations. It will get 84 mpg, cost $6800. 5 star rating, so far nothing. What do you think will happen if Elio finds out they can save $50 or $100 per engine if they outsource engine to a vendor in the plant and meet their $6800 goal. At this point nothing is believable until(IF) it makes into production...............So to all you people pushing this thing to family, friends, etc.., are you telling them the the truth about Elio, or just telling them, I believe, or I have faith(it's a vehicle, not a religion), don't worry about it, while you get them to invest in a deposit they can't afford, let alone lose based on your faith or belief it will be built...........this last delay was due to funding (this according to Elio, in article), what happens if their is a correction in market? Think funding will dry up. And to the people that say, a vehicle like this is needed now more than ever (why didn't the funding occur in 2008/2009)? Me I tell them the truth, they don't have funding in place( after 6 years only have $55m of $200m needed), several delays already, none of the claims can be proven. If it comes out, buy one. But not until that happens. Don't put money down.

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You hear a lot of things, like Elio has the money, it's delayed due to regulations. It will get 84 mpg, cost $6800. 5 star rating, so far nothing. What do you think will happen if Elio finds out they can save $50 or $100 per engine if they outsource engine to a vendor in the plant and meet their $6800 goal. At this point nothing is believable until(IF) it makes into production...............So to all you people pushing this thing to family, friends, etc.., are you telling them the the truth about Elio, or just telling them, I believe, or I have faith(it's a vehicle, not a religion), don't worry about it, while you get them to invest in a deposit they can't afford, let alone lose based on your faith or belief it will be built...........this last delay was due to funding (this according to Elio, in article), what happens if their is a correction in market? Think funding will dry up. And to the people that say, a vehicle like this is needed now more than ever (why didn't the funding occur in 2008/2009)? Me I tell them the truth, they don't have funding in place( after 6 years only have $55m of $200m needed), several delays already, none of the claims can be proven. If it comes out, buy one. But not until that happens. Don't put money down.

Appreciate your opinion.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given your feelings about Elio, I would suggest you wait until they open a store before you even consider purchasing one. There is nothing wrong with your logic. I would never try to convince you, a family member or friend that they should buy an Elio any more than I would ask your opinion about what I should do with my money. Nor, would I try to convince anyone they should share my religious beliefs. The $55m of $200m figure is old news. I would share what I do know with anyone that wanted information about the vehicle I reserved. From that point, they can make their own decisions.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

What if you are wrong about your analysis of Elio Motors and thanks to your your opinion cost people you know the chance at the 50% bonus money and/or getting an Elio without having to wait an even longer time? What you stated is your opinion and you are entitled to it however at this point there is also a good chance you are giving people bad advise. It could very well turn out that you are doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What if you are wrong about your analysis of Elio Motors and thanks to your your opinion cost people you know the chance at the 50% bonus money and/or getting an Elio without having to wait an even longer time? What you stated is your opinion and you are entitled to it however at this point there is also a good chance you are giving people bad advise. It could very well turn out that you are doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing.

Very well said!

Top Bottom