• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

84 Mpg At What Speed

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moorhead, across the river from Fargo,ND. Family has lived in Parkers Prairie, East Grandforks, Ada, Rindal, Crookston, Red Lake Falls, Hawley and Lake Park.

Born in Breckenridge, family still in Mankato Learned how to waterski & ice skate on Lake Ottertail, ice fished and watched ice racing there too. I've also had family that lived in Moorhead but that was way back, 40's & 50's.:D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fuel economy is very dependent on driving style. My Bil has never gotten near the rated mileage on anything, lotts of right foot followed by lots of middle pedal, gas converted to heat :) He gets 14 on a rated 18 , would expect him to get 65.3mpg in an Elio.
I think you can expect the same percentage of the rated highway mileage from the Elio as you presently get on your current ride. For instance my truck is rated at 17 highway, I get 17.4 on whisky gas so I expect to get the full 84mpg (if that is the final rated highway mpg) on the elio. My wife's yucon is rated at 17 and she gets 16. If she would drive the Elio, I would expect it to get 16/17 ths of 84mpg for her, or 79MPG. Anyhow, that's my expectation, sure would like to validate it in an Elio real soon !

Great fuel economy is followed closely by great tire wear, fewer brake, suspension & steering issues, much less damage on transmissions, differentials, drive shafts and shocks. If everyone drove like they had a raw egg under every pedal and a bowl of hot soup sitting on the front seat, the projected fuel economy stats for most cars could be realistic and repair bills would take a much smaller bite out of the budget. The stomp on the pedals, yank the wheel, texting, finger wagging, left lane hogging, driver will always get poor mileage, huge repair bills and an early grave. The rest of us get the last laugh when we pull up next to them at stop light, after stop light, after stop light. :p

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Born in Breckenridge, family still in Mankato Learned how to waterski & ice skate on Lake Ottertail, ice fished and watched ice racing there too. I've also had family that lived in Moorhead but that was way back, 40's & 50's.:D
High school friend married a guy from Mankato. Go to Norahsbed banter thread and I'll give you a run down on family in Minnesota.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any body have an idea what speed it get 84 MPG. I am thinking 55 MPH
WELCOME jack to our Elio Family Forum!

Spent some time down in New Orleans yesterday taking a first hand look at the Elio, and while there, DID hear a "young man" ask one of the Elio Team members that very question. . . . . But I can't seem to remember the answer. Because to me, driving ANY car on a US highway, even a Mazarati that is capable of FANTASTIC speed, we are limited to very slow speeds. ( Unless you just enjoy spending your time on the shoulder of the road with the troopers.). :eek:

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Driving around town mechanical friction is what is using up power. The faster you go the more energy is being used to punch a hole in the air. The EPA numbers follow a scientific protocol. Follow the protocol and you get the same results simple eh.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WELCOME jack to our Elio Family Forum!

Spent some time down in New Orleans yesterday taking a first hand look at the Elio, and while there, DID hear a "young man" ask one of the Elio Team members that very question. . . . . But I can't seem to remember the answer. Because to me, driving ANY car on a US highway, even a Mazarati that is capable of FANTASTIC speed, we are limited to very slow speeds. ( Unless you just enjoy spending your time on the shoulder of the road with the troopers.). :eek:
Actually, according to Marketing VP Jerry Vassallo, in response to a question about why Elio was designing its own engine, "We want this car to get 84mpg at 65 miles per hour. To do that we need torque, more torque that other small engines can deliver. We need a longer stroke." That's pretty close to verbatim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom