• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Little More Real Today

Thundertub

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice replies and welcomes. So far, I feel like I am part of the family here. As you can see by my Joined Date, I have actually been around this forum for years longer than this first thread, but only from-time-to-time, to check on the progress of the Elio, read the news releases, and take the pulse of the crowd here. I kept my (Aptera-based) opinions to myself rather than "soil the path". I sent my money in for the T-shirt, the sticker, and to "tell" the management at Elio that I am a buyer if they are a builder. At $100 I at least have an expensive T-shirt to wear at car shows and cruise-ins that will generate some conversation and maybe make some new friends.
I mentioned tonight to some friends at the local car council board meeting that I am looking forward to starting the JEO (Jax Elio Owners) once I get mine. I told them we would enter 8 cars in the first show, but would only need one parking spot. They laughed. Lots of car folks who aren't on the this board know about the Elio.
I'm not entirely over the Aptera experience, yet. In a word - disappointment. But I was willing to show my interest to Elio management, if not 100% faith, in participating and hopefully buying an Elio.
Like the first decent date after a bad divorce, hope springs eternal that this one will end with smiles on everyone's faces who have made their reservation or just wanted it to happen. Lots of folks on the sideline out there waiting to see production cars. The Polaris Slingshot crowd is already jealous of us... we have a roof in the rain, and A/C in the heat.
My chosen favorite Elio color right now is Sour Apple.
At Aptera I was left with sour grapes. That project was born during $100 plus barrels of oil. It died because they ran uphill financially during the thick of the recession. Elio may have a better shot now that investor wallets are more open now than 4-5 years ago. The masses of America prefer 5000 pound luxo-barges. So this will only ever be a niche product... but so is the Slingshot and, and that seems to be catching on very well, at least around here.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice replies and welcomes. So far, I feel like I am part of the family here. As you can see by my Joined Date, I have actually been around this forum for years longer than this first thread, but only from-time-to-time, to check on the progress of the Elio, read the news releases, and take the pulse of the crowd here. I kept my (Aptera-based) opinions to myself rather than "soil the path". I sent my money in for the T-shirt, the sticker, and to "tell" the management at Elio that I am a buyer if they are a builder. At $100 I at least have an expensive T-shirt to wear at car shows and cruise-ins that will generate some conversation and maybe make some new friends.
I mentioned tonight to some friends at the local car council board meeting that I am looking forward to starting the JEO (Jax Elio Owners) once I get mine. I told them we would enter 8 cars in the first show, but would only need one parking spot. They laughed. Lots of car folks who aren't on the this board know about the Elio.
I'm not entirely over the Aptera experience, yet. In a word - disappointment. But I was willing to show my interest to Elio management, if not 100% faith, in participating and hopefully buying an Elio.
Like the first decent date after a bad divorce, hope springs eternal that this one will end with smiles on everyone's faces who have made their reservation or just wanted it to happen. Lots of folks on the sideline out there waiting to see production cars. The Polaris Slingshot crowd is already jealous of us... we have a roof in the rain, and A/C in the heat.
My chosen favorite Elio color right now is Sour Apple.
At Aptera I was left with sour grapes. That project was born during $100 plus barrels of oil. It died because they ran uphill financially during the thick of the recession. Elio may have a better shot now that investor wallets are more open now than 4-5 years ago. The masses of America prefer 5000 pound luxo-barges. So this will only ever be a niche product... but so is the Slingshot and, and that seems to be catching on very well, at least around here.
Well said. Welcome, as well.

Thundertub

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As an addendum to my introduction, I just want to add that today I signed the new commitment request to be an absolute buyer. That will lock me in at $7,000 plus T, T, T, D, plus "stuff". With my paltry $100 commitment level (I also saved 50% on that when I originally signed up) I am in at a net remaining base of $6,850. Seems fair. Really hoping hard for this to happen. I may be a ways down the list , but at least I am on the list.
And I have been enjoying the new options on the build page of the Elio website - particularly jazzed about seeing the fitted all weather car cover. Added that item immediately to my fantasy build list.
Also thinking of changing my color from Sour Apple, to Marshmallow (why do those two color names seem so appropriate for me?). I keep visualizing an American Flag wrap scheme for my car after delivery (unless they add that to the list of options later on - Then I will simply check that box for my order.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome! I, too, am "All-In" at just $100. I may consider increasing my buy-in in the future, but I think I'd much rather buy some stock to hold onto until they hit production and everything really takes off. :)
Seth, you're so passionate and involved I thought you were in it up to your elbows. Doesn't matter ... your commitment is real.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would be "up to my elbows" but my wife and I are paying off our other car as fast as humanly possible. The budget is strict, but it feels real good knowing we're gonna save about $2400 in finance charges by paying it off early. Not only will our Leaf be paid off by this time next year, but we'll have a sizeable chuck of change towards the Elio (hopefully enough to buy outright, depending on when I actually take delivery on mine).

Lawrence G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Welcome! I, too, am "All-In" at just $100. I may consider increasing my buy-in in the future, but I think I'd much rather buy some stock to hold onto until they hit production and everything really takes off. :)
And now Paul has a real goal of 65,000. We are seeing positive movement, this was a "Hugh" baby step.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today I received my ELIO T-shirt, bumper sticker, and a standardized welcome form. After lurking here for years, I finally signed in at the $100 level a couple months ago, so I guess I am not totally "ALL IN" yet, but enough for now. Getting the T-shirt makes me feel like I am part of something now. I will probably up my commitment in a few more months.

I hope you will forgive my skittishness. I suffered through more than four years of the APTERA episode, being all in there, and then being very disappointed with the outcome. I think Jay Leno is probably the only person outside that group to get one. I have strong hopes that the ELIO will come through.

My interest in cars like this began decades ago with Messerschmitts. I see the ELIO as the modern interpretation of that vehicle, and that is not a bad thing.
Thunder tub, congratulations on your "first" reservation. Many of us started that way. Be careful because the Elio is addicting and sooner or later you will feel the urge to get your "spot in line" number. Welcome and enjoy the journey and the experience.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My interest in cars like this began decades ago with Messerschmitts.
I see the ELIO as the modern interpretation of that vehicle, and that is not a bad thing.

ANOTHER MESSERSCHMITTER / ELIO ENTHUSIAST !
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME !

I HAVE BEEN DRIVING MESSERSCHMITTS FOR OVER 30 YEARS
AND OWN 4 OF THEM CURRENTLY .
'54 KR-175 , '55 KR-200 , '62 KR-200 , '59 TG-500

I HAVE ALSO HAD A COUPLE OF FREEWAYS , BOTH '81 MODELS .

WHILE IT IS TOO BIG TO BE CONSIDERED A MICROCAR , I THINK THE ELIO WILL BE
A SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO THE GREAT ECONOMY 3 WHEELERS OF THE PAST

IF THEY CAN EVER GET THEM ROLLING OUT OF SHREVEPORT IN NUMBERS ,
THE ELIO WILL BE A BIG GAME CHANGER FOR TRANSPORTATION IN AMERICA .

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would be "up to my elbows" but my wife and I are paying off our other car as fast as humanly possible. The budget is strict, but it feels real good knowing we're gonna save about $2400 in finance charges by paying it off early. Not only will our Leaf be paid off by this time next year, but we'll have a sizeable chuck of change towards the Elio (hopefully enough to buy outright, depending on when I actually take delivery on mine).

YOUR BUDGET CAN'T BE ANY WORSE THAN MINE .
I WAS LAID OFF LAST SEPTEMBER & STILL DON'T HAVE A JOB .

I AM LIVING OFF OF SAVINGS AND WILL HAVE TO START SELLING STUFF SOON .

I HAVE 4 ELIOS ON RESERVE . TWO OF THEM ARE $1000 ALL-INs
TWO ARE $100 SPECULATION CARS THAT I HOPE TO SELL WHEN THEY HAVE A TWO YEAR BACKLOG
TO PEOPLE WHO WANT ONE NOW .

Top Bottom