• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Reason For Range Anxiety

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's an occurrence that's an argument against the average EV because of it's range.
Let's say your round trip commute takes just half of your total EV range.
You'd run out of juice (and heat) fast in situations like this.

For that matter, you'd be stranded anytime there was substantial extended gridlock.
Where the ICEs could have 5-10 hours of fuel, a lot of EVs would be looking at a 2hr range.
I've been in many 2hr backups caused by accidents and a few just due to exceptionally long gridlocks.

From the weather channel today....

Thousands of people were stranded on roads in Portland, Oregon, on Wednesday evening as snow struck the city just before the evening commute.

Some were stuck in a city-wide gridlock for hours with many electing to abandon their cars along the side of the road. Few ditched their cars in the middle of the road, leading to even more disruptions.

accuweather-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fc1%2F96%2F87eb11e84c91b28e515be245abd6%2Fportland-snow-travel.jpg

Abandoned cars line the side of I-405 as commuters work their way into town in Portland, Ore., Thursday, Dec. 15, 2016. A winter storm dumped several inches of snow in the area late Wednesday, snarling traffic, causing many commuters to abandon their cars. (AP Photo/Don Ryan)

Portland does not use rock salt on its roads because accumulating snow is so rare in the city, as well as for environmental reasons.

Heavy snow in the mountains east of Portland led to multiple avalanches, three of which cornered on Highway 20, shutting down the mountain pass. There were no reported injuries due to the avalanches.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I guess I forgot that I've been told my Solo will only use 10% of it's normal rate for heat and A/C.
So I guess that means that if you've got half of your range to spend on keeping warm, you've got 10 hours of heat.
20 hours @ full charge if you're sitting still with lights off. That's on an EV with an approximate 100-120 mi range.
If the gridlock or impassible roads lasts longer than 10 hours, even the ICEs will be in trouble.

And, as your link points out, you won't die from carbon monoxide while stranded in winter in an EV.
Still, isn't there a possibility that the EV would be at a disadvantage in a blizzard stop-n-go crawling gridlock?

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I guess I forgot that I've been told my Solo will only use 10% of it's normal usage for heat and A/C.
So I guess that means that if you've got half of your range to spend on keeping warm, you've got 10 hours of heat.
20 hours @ full charge if you're sitting still with lights off. That's on an EV with an approximate 100-120 mi range.
If the gridlock or impassible roads lasts longer than 10 hours, even the ICEs are in trouble.

And, as your link points out, you won't die from carbon monoxide while stranded in an EV.
Still, isn't there a possibility that the EV would be at a disadvantage in a blizzard and/or stop-n-go situation?

If we're talking survival mode, there is no reason to heat the cabin. The Tesla (as well as most BEVs) has heated seats that are MUCH more efficient than heating the cabin...just pack a blanket. If we're talking about just using the seats, I'm not sure how much energy that would actually use, in comparison to an ICE. Remember, though, both comparisons assume the person actually has gas, or energy. Typically, people don't often drive around with a full tank, and if an ICE vehicle can get to a gas station, an EV can most likely get to a plug.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moot Point for this old retired geezer, since I won't be out in either my EV or ICE during winter snow alerts/warnings, or 'ICEY' road conditions. I'm in survival mode 100% of my waking hours. :)

If I top off my EV every night, and start the day with a full charge, it is likely I will have more range than the Elio owner that starts their day off with a 1/4 tank of gas. I will stop and pick up any stranded Elio owner and give them a ride to the nearest gas station or towing company.

Even the EV haters! :) :) :)

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moot Point for this old retired geezer, since I won't be out in either my EV or ICE during winter snow alerts/warnings, or 'ICEY' road conditions. I'm in survival mode 100% of my waking hours. :)

If I top off my EV every night, and start the day with a full charge, it is likely I will have more range than the Elio owner that starts their day off with a 1/4 tank of gas. I will stop and pick up any stranded Elio owner and give them a ride to the nearest gas station or towing company.

Even the EV haters! :) :) :)
You'd really risk getting troll slime on your Tesla and SRK seats?

DikiJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remenber that it snowed here when I was in 5th grade and once when I was in high school. I think it might have snowed a few times since then but I don't know for sure. I graduated from high school in 1957 so you can guess how concerned I am about snow. The only thkng that causes trouble her is when a hurricane comes this way and everyone evacuates. I don't concern myself with that since I ride out the storms. I feel safe in my house that was built in 1896 and has weathered a lot of hurricanes.

Top Bottom