• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Reason For Range Anxiety

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remenber that it snowed here when I was in 5th grade and once when I was in high school. I think it might have snowed a few times since then but I don't know for sure. I graduated from high school in 1957 so you can guess how concerned I am about snow. The only thkng that causes trouble her is when a hurricane comes this way and everyone evacuates. I don't concern myself with that since I ride out the storms. I feel safe in my house that was built in 1896 and has weathered a lot of hurricanes.
So... This is not your neighborhood?

blizzardboston78.jpg

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EV's use almost ZERO energy while standing still; they are not comprable to a gas car idling on the highway. Some small amount of electricity is used while in gridlock, but it is such a miniscule amount that it's not even worth calculating.

Yes, if you are using the cabin heat then it will drain the battery (eventually), but if you stick with the heated seats then you can sit in traffic for a long time without it significantly impacting your range. And besides, at this time of year we always keep blankets in our cars regardless of what sort of car I'm driving.

In the instance of the snowstorm, if I were stuck in that in our Leaf, I'd head for the nearest public charge station, plug-in, crank the heat and take a nap.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And if you were in a constant 'move up 5 feet, stop, wait, repeat' situation...
Combined with there being no way to make it 30 miles to the next exit in less than 6 hours?

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EV batteries are not great in the cold. Even the Tesla S loses about 40% of its range in the cold and it is one of he least affected. If you want to see an article about it here you go

That is only if you don't pre-condition the battery.

ICE vehicles also suffer efficiency losses in the cold, though not as drastic.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fact check. The article Is based on one owner's experience with one Tesla.
I have lots more that say the same thing. Most EV cars lose even more than 40% of their range when it gets cold. How many do you want? Here is another one.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ICE loses about 12% below 20F EV ones up to 57%.

Like I said, BEVs aren't all created equal, and you can mitigate the losses in the cold. The example I gave was pre-conditioning the Tesla, which most owners do when it gets cold. They'll still see greater than 12% efficiency reduction, but it will be a lot less than 57%.

I don't pre-condition my Leaf, and I'm seeing around a 30% reduction...well below freezing.

Top Bottom