• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Reason For Range Anxiety

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
USA Distance Traveled Comparison: Works for most. Speeds? Think about the gridlock traffic in larger cities. Most Americans driving EVs don't worry much about decrease in battery performance.
View attachment 12038

EV success and popularity in the USA is gaining momentum with the about to be launched SRK, Solo, and the 345,000 + Tesla Model 3 pre-orders. The likely reason for early EV acceptance in Norway might be that the population base has more interest in renewable transportation options along with the cost of a gallon of gas @ $10.76 per gallon if my research is correct. Perhaps we should take a lesson.

In Norway the only reason gas prices are that high is because as in most of Europe the government is punishing people that drive by taxing gas to make it painful at the pump.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And that's the kicker. When I was reading the Tesla owner's experience, I was struck by how he was driving the car like an ICE, rather than an EV. It doesn't sound like he was charging every night, and he wouldn't part with the cabin heat despite the need for range. Now, he had only owned the car for 3 days, so I guess that makes sense, but still the entire thread left me with the impression that Tesla owners are much more liberal with their battery power than Leaf owners.

So really, I guess this is one of those things that depends a lot on one's personal experience and situation.

He had just picked up the vehicle, and was unfamiliar with it.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gas prices and taxes will increase at our trump as well to pay for the long overdue highway and related infrastructure repairs. The highways need to be in excellent condition for all the anticipated heavy traffic flowing to Shreveport for factory pick up of our Elio's.

If they only spent the gas tax on the roads we would be in better shape many states use it to pay for other things Texas spends 25% of its fuel-tax revenue on education programs. Kansas has allocated some of its gas-tax revenue to pay for Medicaid and schools. They also should put a use tax on EV to make up for the loss of gas tax revenue.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's compare:

1. Driving in heavy snow and possible gridlock:
ICE. You get stuck and have to be towed
EV. You get stuck and have to be towed
Advantage: Towing company.

2. Driving 90% of the range of your vehicle every day, then: bad weather, traffic, detour then run out of gas/power
ICE. Run out of fuel and get stuck
EV. Run out of power and get stuck
Advantage: People who plan ahead

3. Solutions to running out of gas/power
ICE. Call AAA to bring a gallon of gas
EV. Call AAA to tow to power outlet
Advantage: ICE

4. Heating
ICE. Wait 20 minutes or 5-10 miles until engine warms up
EV. Electrical heat immediately
Advantage: EV

Takeaway/Solutions

1. Don't drive into a snow storm situation in an area that is notoriously bad at handling snow and gridlock. (Atlanta, Portland, OR, etc)

2. Know your car and the route you normally drive and possible alternate routes and typical hazards. Plan ahead.

3. Buy an ICE or EV. I don't care.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EV's use almost ZERO energy while standing still; they are not comprable to a gas car idling on the highway. Some small amount of electricity is used while in gridlock, but it is such a miniscule amount that it's not even worth calculating.

Yes, if you are using the cabin heat then it will drain the battery (eventually), but if you stick with the heated seats then you can sit in traffic for a long time without it significantly impacting your range. And besides, at this time of year we always keep blankets in our cars regardless of what sort of car I'm driving.

In the instance of the snowstorm, if I were stuck in that in our Leaf, I'd head for the nearest public charge station, plug-in, crank the heat and take a nap.
When all else failed and both the drivers of the EV and the ICE run out of power (electric and gas) "AT THE SAME TIME", who would most likely LAST LONGER before freezing in a sudden snow storm IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE??? The ICE driver of course! The ICE driver can open up his/her hood and seat on his/her ass on the WARM ENGINE until help arrives! :D (sitting on top of the hood first w/ a blanket will give warmth for a few minutes and then open the hood- the engine will still be warm but not hot!) .

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's compare:

1. Driving in heavy snow and possible gridlock:
ICE. You get stuck and have to be towed
EV. You get stuck and have to be towed
Advantage: Towing company.

2. Driving 90% of the range of your vehicle every day, then: bad weather, traffic, detour then run out of gas/power
ICE. Run out of fuel and get stuck
EV. Run out of power and get stuck
Advantage: People who plan ahead

3. Solutions to running out of gas/power
ICE. Call AAA to bring a gallon of gas
EV. Call AAA to tow to power outlet
Advantage: ICE

4. Heating
ICE. Wait 20 minutes or 5-10 miles until engine warms up
EV. Electrical heat immediately
Advantage: EV

Takeaway/Solutions

1. Don't drive into a snow storm situation in an area that is notoriously bad at handling snow and gridlock. (Atlanta, Portland, OR, etc)

2. Know your car and the route you normally drive and possible alternate routes and typical hazards. Plan ahead.

3. Buy an ICE or EV. I don't care.
BOTTOM LINE, BUY WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD! Problem solved!:D;)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moot Point for this old retired geezer, since I won't be out in either my EV or ICE during winter snow alerts/warnings, or 'ICEY' road conditions. I'm in survival mode 100% of my waking hours. :)

If I top off my EV every night, and start the day with a full charge, it is likely I will have more range than the Elio owner that starts their day off with a 1/4 tank of gas. I will stop and pick up any stranded Elio owner and give them a ride to the nearest gas station or towing company.

Even the EV haters! :) :) :)
Clint Eastwood's famous movie lines best described what Rickb was trying to say: "A MAN'S GOT TO KNOW HIS (equipment's) LIMITATIONS"! :D

Top Bottom