• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Reason For Range Anxiety

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they only spent the gas tax on the roads we would be in better shape many states use it to pay for other things Texas spends 25% of its fuel-tax revenue on education programs. Kansas has allocated some of its gas-tax revenue to pay for Medicaid and schools. They also should put a use tax on EV to make up for the loss of gas tax revenue.

Here in WA I have to pay about $85 extra on my tabs each year on the Leaf, because I don't pay the gas tax.

Still way cheaper than driving an ICE, so I don't mind.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here in WA I have to pay about $85 extra on my tabs each year on the Leaf, because I don't pay the gas tax.

Should be more around $140 if you go by the average distance driven and average mileage.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think BEV drivers should be on the hook for the Avg. miles driven, when typically they drive FAR fewer miles. Our LEAF will have < 4,000 miles on it after 12 months of ownership.

They will either have to take you exact milage or use the average. Then they will have to decide on how many gallons of gas that you would use. Things they do not have to do with people who buy gas.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They will either have to take you exact milage or use the average. Then they will have to decide on how many gallons of gas that you would use. Things they do not have to do with people who buy gas.

If the tax is already a sliding scale, then it doesn't make sense to charge BEV drivers a flat fee. It's not an EV owner's responsibility to overpay due to the lack of a tax collection methodology.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no good way to collect a fair usage tax from EV drivers, to help pay for roads. But a flat-rate added to yearly tabs is probably the best of the available options.

And by "best", I mean easiest to implement and least likely to cause legal challenges for the government.

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEVs see efficiency loss due to cold batteries, not cold weather (though the two are connected). As long as the batteries are warm, for instance from taking a trip and charging, the losses won't be as drastic.

The efficiency of our 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid definitely decreases when the weather (and therefore the battery) is cold. For example in the past week we've had a few days where the low temp was below 0. The efficiency recovers somewhat as the battery pack warms up, but that takes quite a while when the battery temperature starts out at about 10 degrees. :-) Even with the extreme cold the Hybrid still gets better mpg than an equivalent ICE Escape.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I would update this thread on this new battery tech, someday we'll see if it's really both 3x the density, 3x the cycles.. 1/3 the cost... AT least the inventor is well known, and not Korean or Chinese where the results may be in doubt.
...is that 1/3 the cost per watt or per pound? per some of the description both the density is cheaper and the material is too, so could be 1/3/3 or 1/9th. And if they last 3x that's 1/27th over the full lifetime. All 'Hyperspeculation' at this point.

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/68053/20170307/john-goodenough-lithium-ion-battery-pioneer-invents-a-new-solid-glass-battery-that-is-even-better.htm#!

Top Bottom