• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Small Car Such As This Should Have Advanced Active Safety Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to hit a car head on and THEN a brick wall! Jeez. Unless you meant the comparison word "than" instead of the time related "Then". I could see hitting a car head on would be better THAN hitting a brick wall. THEN, I could relax knowing that no bricks were harmed. :rolleyes:
Image1.png

Sorry, my day off and I haven't had my required 2 cups of coffee today...

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was always impressed by the narrow 2 seater Tango's roll cage that meets or exceeds FIA race car regulation designed to protect the occupants of cars crashing at over 200 mph. Note the door with two additional horizontal bars providing over 4 X more side door protection bars than found in the largest SUV's. Technically, a narrow 2 seater can beat a 5 start safety rating.

View attachment 10363 View attachment 10364
It's too bad the Tango ended up being prohibitively expensive :(

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why I used the term "generally." Even so, as that crash shows, we're not talking about the vehicle crashing head first at 229...it lost a lot of speed when it went airborn, and much of the impact was lessened by the fence and the fact that it didn't hit square.

A head on collision with another vehicle is going to have similar forces applied...although I'd say the centrifugal force was probably pretty insane in that crash.
Look, the only point I was trying to make is that a 1200 pound car can be "safe"-ish, F1 cars are just as light and can handle some extreme delta-v forces, yes the Elio is not made to the same standard, but I wanted to demonstrate that a light car can indeed be crash worthy. I have people tell me that bigger is better when it comes to cars and safety, but I don't care what you are driving, you get T-boned by a semi, or fully loaded dump truck you're pretty much screwed in a Miata, Elio or a Humvee.

525.jpg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's too bad the Tango ended up being prohibitively expensive :(
Early on the development stage Rick Woodbury did mention cost coud drop to the $15-20K range with the production of 10,000 units. Many thought it looked like a clown car. I liked the high performance handling, 0-60 mph in 4 seconds, top speed 150 mph, nascar safety, and the clown car styling made me smile.

Rick Woodbury was a visionary, just too early in the narrow two seater commuter movement to be successful.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Six point harnesses and quarter million+ dollar roll cages do work well.
Not to mention the suits.
I was able to see some superbike nationals a number of years ago.
I was even fortunate enough to watch a few of the races from the control booth.

One of the most amazing things I've ever seen was...
Riders sliding into hay bales @ 90mph and immediately getting up and continuing to race.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to mention the suits.
I was able to see some superbike nationals a number of years ago.
I was even fortunate enough to watch a few of the races from the control booth.

One of the most amazing things I've ever seen was...
Riders sliding into hay bales @ 90mph and immediately getting up and continuing to race.
Did you ask them how they felt after the race?
Adrenalin can make you do some crazy things.
(I used to race Speedway; Large tracks Flat track)

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Early on the development stage Rick Woodbury did mention cost coud drop to the $15-20K range with the production of 10,000 units. Many thought it looked like a clown car. I liked the high performance handling, 0-60 mph in 4 seconds, top speed 150 mph, nascar safety, and the clown car styling made me smile.

Rick Woodbury was a visionary, just too early in the narrow two seater commuter movement to be successful.

I completely forgot about those. I'm guessing they went Tango Uni?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 10365
Sorry, my day off and I haven't had my required 2 cups of coffee today...
That's okay... I've seen THEN and THAN mixed up almost as much as TAKE and BRING. I think most people don't realize one is a measurement of time (then) while the other is a comparative word (than). Not trying to police grammar, just improve it. Learning shall occur!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom