• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Small Car Such As This Should Have Advanced Active Safety Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Adding such systems is outside the scope of the Elio project. Scope-creep is the destroyer of many, many useful projects.

Well said! "Scope creep."
Can you visualize it?...The Elio would be safer if they, 1) add accident avoidance. 2) Made it a "little bit" heavier, say 800lbs? You know, an "extra wheel" would add about that much weight. 3) If it were a "little bit taller" the driver could see farther ahead. (yes, much safer, and heavier) And, now that it resembles an SUV, we might as well give it better "cargo capacity". Wait a minute, you can't carry much cargo if the vehicles bed is only 2 feet wide. May as well give it "side-by-side seating.
I know, I know. Mileage will suffer a bit, but since this is what everyone else is making, it's good enough. But wait! the Elio isn't supposed to be "like everything else" it's supposed to be "different!"... different...different. We have to make it different.
I know, we'll make it even BIGGER...and safer! Hmmm, what should we call it? Hmmm...Hummm...Hummm...er, Hummer...THAT's IT! The Elio Hummer!:brick:

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems that engineers have structurally designed the Elio to protect passengers very well. However, the laws of physics cannot be beaten. If a small car hits a large car, the passengers in the small car are more likely to be hurt or killed than the passengers in the large car.

Given this fact, it seems that the Elio should have an option for a forward collision warning system that can automatically apply the brakes if needed. A system like this could also be used to add adaptive cruise control to the car.

Even low-cost cars like the Honda Civic have an option for this type of system. In five years, I am sure that it will be a standard feature on almost all new cars. While I would like to buy an Elio, I think I will hold out until more advanced active safety systems are added.
F1 cars weigh 1548 lbs. with the driver and they seem to fair ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom