• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjustable Rear Suspension-a Must On Elio

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Self adjusting shocks aren't a part of simple stability control though. With such a light vehicle, increasing the "cargo" by 200# is the equivalent of me putting about 1,300# in the bed of my truck. It'll be doubly tough as there is only one tire back there holding up the weight.
Given the current state of spring/shock technology, the overall length of the vehicle and the fact that the combined weight of the cargo and passenger will be somewhat forward of the rear axle, I'm certain that there's an acceptable engineering solution to the potential issue. FWIW, I know a guy who regularly carries a 200+ pound passenger with him on his 450 pound motorcycle without significant issue. The weight of the passenger in that case is actually slightly to the rear of the rear axle. That loading scenario has to be near the absolutely worst possible case and certainly not nearly as extreme as our case will be with the Elio.

Greycat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are at least a couple of manufacturers that are more than capable of producing a spring/shock combo that will meet the everyday needs of the Elio. Several approaches are available. Either progressively sprung or manually adjustable pre-load are both relatively inexpensive.
I agree with you, the solutions are fairly simple and relatively inexpensive. It would be nice if Elio already thought of this and build it in to the rear suspension.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps it's already been addressed. I just realized that when I saw the Elio in person, there wasn't any noticeable squat when a person plopped down in the rear seat. Of course it settled some, but not by an amount that caused concern. I'll see it again at Birmingham, AL next month and will investigate further.

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps it's already been addressed. I just realized that when I saw the Elio in person, there wasn't any noticeable squat when a person plopped down in the rear seat. Of course it settled some, but not by an amount that caused concern. I'll see it again at Birmingham, AL next month and will investigate further.
See you here Zipper

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed the front shocks were High Quality adjustable shocks. I don't think a manually adjustable rear shock would be of much use. There is no way I'd take the back cowl off to adjust the shock just to pick up a passenger.

Top Bottom