• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjustable Rear Suspension-a Must On Elio

MW

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I think it maybe a non issue, they may have engineered max load into the balance and suspension. If anything it’s probably the other way till someone sits in the back,
If this circumstance exist in this configuration at all. JMO

I agree with this, I do not expect there will be a handling issue at all. As mentioned, a progressive rate spring is designed to accommodate this sort of variation in weight.

Loren

Reaction score
Self adjusting shocks aren't a part of simple stability control though. With such a light vehicle, increasing the "cargo" by 200# is the equivalent of me putting about 1,300# in the bed of my truck. It'll be doubly tough as there is only one tire back there holding up the weight.
Kind of like my truck 29,000lbs empty 95,000lbs loaded with no difference in ride height or stability.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Carrying a passenger probably won't affect handling dramatically as on a motorcycle as the CG is going to be down near the axles, although in extreme cornering, I'd expect some oversteer what with that additional load in the tail. The critical consideration will be where your headlights are pointing with another 200 lbs in the tail.

On many motorcycles (except for the big cruisers) you simply reached forward and pushed the headlight down when riding two-up. In a car you have the option of automatically "re-aiming" the headlights, or leveling the body on the suspension.

If you have (or install) High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights, the better setups have a sensor mounted near the rear wheel that detects the low position of the rear suspension and lowers the headlight beams magnetically. It's a little pricey (as is a good HID kit), but it works well. The other alternative is to put an air shock on the rear and level the vehicle manually (automatic is available, but it's really expensive.

I used Monroe Max-Air shocks on my company cars for years because I often had to carry as much as 700 lbs in the trunk (Oh, by the way, you're going that direction, would you drop off a set of BNC elevators to the rig? - shipping wt. 750 lbs.) After a trip to Ardmore hauling a load of iron 400 miles for my customer with the low beams 'coon hunting in the treetops, I settled on the Max-Airs.

You blow up the shocks with an air chuck in the trunk, or if you want convenience, you opt for the little electric compressor accessory and plumb it to the rear shock(s) with a pressure gauge and a couple of buttons on a sub-panel under the dash. One button pressures up the shocks and raises the rear end, the other valves off the pressure, lowering it. Rather than guess, I'd turn on the headlights and put them where I wanted them with the adjustment. Thirty seconds, job done.

There's a bonus to this setup - you have an air compressor you can use to inflate tires, beach toys, or whatever you want - immediately at hand. Surprisingly the cost is pretty reasonable, particularly if you DIY the installation.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can also reroute where you add air for air shocks or airbags. In my beetle I hid a set inside the fuel filler door so I don't have to crawl under the car everytime I hook up my car hauler. It also make it much simpler to adjust air pressure without the need for an onboard compressor.

Similar to this-

airlift.JPG

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I, for one, do not want to get down on my knees with a wrench and adjust the rear shock just to give someone a ride. That would definitely suck. I read that for reduced cost shocks will be non-adjustable. I would expect the rear shock to be sized for maximum load, which if not designed properly could give a harsh ride driving solo. I understand Elio has a first class company making springs/shocks. I'm pretty sure they'll get it right.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I, for one, do not want to get down on my knees with a wrench and adjust the rear shock just to give someone a ride. That would definitely suck. I read that for reduced cost shocks will be non-adjustable. I would expect the rear shock to be sized for maximum load, which if not designed properly could give a harsh ride driving solo. I understand Elio has a first class company making springs/shocks. I'm pretty sure they'll get it right.

This is exactly the advantage to working with suppliers as closely as Elio Motors is. Why dictate to suppliers what parts you need when you can take advantage of the suppliers expertise to find the solutions which best fits your needs.

Top Bottom