• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Air Conditioning / Heating / Air Filtration

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z/others, don't think of Wind as mere Noise, Think of the sound of the Wind as the Sound Of FREEDOM. I have music available on the bike and Sorento but rarely use it. Keep the window down and enjoy it. Yes, here in the South you may run thru a period of the 'Essents of Chicken House or Feed lot' but that will soon pass. Soon you will smell the fresh cut grass, new mowed hay and fresh tilled soil. With the windows up you'll miss the good smells.

As to AC on or off, it's your choice.

I would rather arrive at a meeting with, friends/ family or for business, cool, calm and smelling fresh, not with a smell of stale sweat and in a bad frame of mind. I'll forgo a few MPG's to get there in this condition.

This is purely my opinion.
Noise is wasted power...

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z/others, don't think of Wind as mere Noise, Think of the sound of the Wind as the Sound Of FREEDOM.
As to AC on or off, it's your choice.

This is purely my opinion.
Of course it's my choice. It's my car. Well, autocycle anyway. Not that I don't appreciate the stop-and-smell-the-roses sentiment, but I think the starting point was about what is more efficient, and asthetic considerations are a bit difficult to quantify. If we knew how the efficiency was affected I suppose we could decide how much efficiency we're willing to sacrifice for the joy of smelling chickens and dirt. :-)
And the government report about ac on or windows down; consider the source. Not that it takes any genius to figure out that lower speeds impose less wind drag and therefore makes aerodynamics less important, but I don't know if they actually did research or just took a poll around the water-cooler and called it a day. There are too many variables to even answer the question with any more than broad generalizations. The answer would actually depend on the exact vehicle's aerodynamic drag with windows up vs down, the speed of travel, the ambient temperature and humidity, the type, condition, and output setting of the ac system, the operating efficiency of the engine at that given rpm and load range with vs without the additional load imposed, etc, etc, etc...
In other words we won't really know 'till the vehicle hits the road and we can test it out. Maynbe the ecmm could be programmead to ttell us

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With this article that came out today, it shows that Riding in a car can expose you to 15x as much air pollution as walking on the street........

http://www.naturalnews.com/046995_air_pollution_automobiles_walking.html

With this in mind, hopefully there will be an option to purchase a high quality filter system on this vehicle when it comes out...... ? I sure hope so.
I hope wheaters reads this because he can tell us whether the area walked and the area cabs were taken in, were in fact, the same area. I am not at all familiar with London so have no way of judging. If they are comparing "apples to oranges" then the test results are suspect. Thanks for posting. :-) Z

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many cars have a filter in the cabin intake air system. Some are designed to keep just the big pieces of airborne crud out of the heat exchangers (heater coils and AC expansion coils), while some offer near HEPA-filter performance, and a few charcoal filters to scrub the air of "most" offensive odors. I'll have to go back about ten years to search the ClubLexus forums, but I remember someone posting a source for a high-quality generic filter that could be cut to fit practically any car. There was some discussion at the time of fabricating a frame and fitting a custom filter to a car that had no OEM filter.

Lexus provides very sophisticated air filters in the HVAC system that they recommend changing every other year. Mine lasted over four - to the point I changed them anyway . . . because I could. The factory filter was about 5" X 8" and about 3/4" thick and looked like one of those pleated 3M furnace filters except that it was a dirty gray color even when new, thanks I suppose to the charcoal embedded within the fibers. The replacements were pretty expensive, considering they were so small, (something like $40) but we had Club members who ferreted out much better deals from "independent" warehouses (actually authorized dealers selling parts out the back door).

They were well worth the price - I discovered I never had to clean the dash that is usually a dust magnet - unless I left the windows down for a a day or on a few longer trips. I think even the charcoal filtration worked because my travels to local chemical plants were a whole lot more pleasant, and the usual barnyard and skunk aromas you often get out on the 2-lane were practically non-existent. Best of all, the car never developed a musty smell - and didn't require those little green trees dangling from the mirror. :cool:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think most modern cars come equipped with a cabin intake micro-filter these days (just had to remove the one on my BMW two days ago to change the engine air filter, a tale in itself). However, London taxis are an old design and might not be fitted with one. So the results might be slanted in that respect.

Walking in London has other hazards, such as being run into by some ignorant lout on a pushbike, which often share the footpaths. Also, walking across London with luggage is hardly practical.

It can be dangerous to cross the road, too because London car drivers, and taxi drivers in particular, take no prisoners if you're off the pavement (sidewalk).

RevTriker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
With this article that came out today, it shows that Riding in a car can expose you to 15x as much air pollution as walking on the street........

http://www.naturalnews.com/046995_air_pollution_automobiles_walking.html

With this in mind, hopefully there will be an option to purchase a high quality filter system on this vehicle when it comes out...... ? I sure hope so.
On my 24 mile commute to work I have to drive through Commerce City and right by a gasoline refinery plant (the only one in the Rocky Mountain region I believe). Anyway I ALWAYS run my cars ventilation system on "Max" Air Conditioning when driving through that area as it automatically recirculates the air inside the car. I do hope it will be the same with the Elio.

Top Bottom