• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are multiple things to dislike about that dash. The uninformative speedo is first, of course -- numbers indexed too widely for accurate interpolation, requires de-coding (position is easier to read than numbers, which is why gauges with needles are so successful). There's a reason watches with hands predominate, though read-outs have been around for 40 years. The Elgin dash is also mechanical, and so prone to failure.

Next thing up is the array of idiot lights. I need first-hand experience to tell how hard these are to see in daylight, but the pictures I've seen suggest they are too small and too faint to see readily and decode.

Finally, and this one is both important and dirt-cheap to fix, is the blank expanse of light gray plastic. It is boring, it is so light in color that it reduces contrast for the instruments, and it is 100% wasted space. A key principle in the visual display of quantitative information is to make sure you are using an optimal amount of "data ink." Data ink is defined as the percentage of your display area actually carrying useful information. The elgin dash's percentage of data ink is wretchedly small.

Notice, Ty and others, that that does not mean you need to have huge instruments. It does mean that the instrument panel needs to be used to display information. Similarly, it doesn't mean that you need to plaster 200 dials on a six-inch wide panel; if the information is hard to access, it's not useful, and so isn't good practice. The Elio's current dash is beyond bad in its percentage of data ink, and beyond bad in its sheer bland featureless character.

One thing that would help would be to use a much darker shade of gray -- or even black -- as most cars do. If you're going to have idiot lights, put them in an environment where they will contrast.

So: a more accurate, easily-read speedo, replace some idiot lights with gauges, either electronic displays or physical, and use a darker, more contrasty color in place of the current light gray. We probably won't see the speedo replaced, even through from an engineering standpoint it is a stupid design, but the plastic at least can be darkened and maybe made a little more visually interesting. that last step would help and will cost nothing.

I am not making this up about "data ink." Read http://www.amazon.com/The-Visual-Display-Quantitative-Information/dp/0961392142 . Edward Tufte is the world's leading authority in this area. Every engineer concerned with communicating his or her work effectively should study Tufte's books.

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you don't use your cell phone a lot, there is a great deal through Consumer Cellular. I get the basic plan and it's $35 a month (plus tax) for two lines of service, no contract, and you can change your plan at any time. If you get a plan with higher allowances that you won't use for the month, they don't charge you for the unused time; they only charge for what you use. I've had the plan for almost 2 years and have never had a problem. I used to be a Verizon user but never again after the way they treated me (but I hear they abuse all their customers).
Ditto, great plan selection and you can customize it to get just what you want economically. Great service as well and their coverage here in the desert is excellent

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There are multiple things to dislike about that dash. The uninformative speedo is first, of course -- numbers indexed too widely for accurate interpolation, requires de-coding (position is easier to read than numbers, which is why gauges with needles are so successful). It's also mechanical, and so prone to failure.

Next thing up is the array of idiot lights. I need first-hand experience to tell how hard these are to see in daylight, but the pictures I've seen suggest they are too small and too faint to see readily and decode.

Finally, and this one is both important and dirt-cheap to fix, is the blank expanse of light gray plastic. It is boring, it is so light in color that it reduces contrast for the instruments, and it is 100% wasted space. A key principle in the visual display of quantitative information is to make sure you are using an optimal amount of "data ink." Data ink is defined as the percentage of your display area actually carrying useful information. The elgin dash's percentage of data ink is wretchedly small.

Notice, Ty and others, that that does not mean you need to have huge instruments. It does mean that the instrument panel needs to be used to display information. Similarly, it doesn't mean that you need to plaster 200 dials on a six-inch wide panel; if the information is hard to access, it's not useful, and so isn't good practice. The Elio's current dash is beyond bad in its percentage of data ink, and beyond bad in its sheer bland featureless character.

One thing that would help would be to use a much darker shade of gray -- or even black -- as most cars do. If you're going to have idiot lights, put them in an environment where they will contrast.

So: a more accurate, easily-read speedo, replace some idiot lights with gauges, either electronic displays or physical, and use a darker, more contrasty color in place of the current light gray. We probably won't see the speedo replaced, even through from an engineering standpoint it is a stupid design, but the plastic at least can be darkened and maybe made a little more visually interesting. that last step would help and will cost nothing.

I am not making this up about "data ink." Read http://www.amazon.com/The-Visual-Display-Quantitative-Information/dp/0961392142 . Edward Tufte is the world's leading authority in this area. Every engineer concerned with communicating his or her work effectively should study Tufte's books.
What was wrong with leaving the Geo Metro dash in it? That was a "off the shelf" parts. I think the dash that was in the P4 fit the vehicle perfectly; it is also one of the less expensive replacements I'm looking at to use once I get mine.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What was wrong with leaving the Geo Metro dash in it? That was a "off the shelf" parts. I think the dash that was in the P4 fit the vehicle perfectly; it is also one of the less expensive replacements I'm looking at to use once I get mine.
The issue with the Geo Metro dash is the same as it was with the Metro engine....Both have been out of production for years. So, definitely NOT "off the shelf" anymore.
Some folks may think, "I'll just swap in a used metro dash" , which creates other issues. 1) Any "used" dash will have mileage on the odometer, and it is against the law to "roll back, alter or tamper with" the odometer. 2) So, your brand new Elio might have 2 or 300K Miles on it. And, when you eventually sell your Elio, your title ( in the box where you write "mileage") will say "unknown." And it won't matter what numbers you write in the box, when the buyer/ new owner receives their title in the mail, it will say "unknown".
So, If you all are still "ok" with it, I have a few "on the shelf" in my shed....And the numbers are only 1/4" tall. :faint:

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, like all the people who have seen in in photographs -- and especially those who know something about design and communicating graphic information.

OH, you mean the people who have seen photographs, but have not seen the end result actually working but just must go on attack anyway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to those who know something about design and communicating graphic information. I have grown to like the Elgin dash design, but now I discover that it's not providing functional information and will be so difficult to read that I may have to reconsider the Elio as my commuter of choice. First time the dash has played a role in whether or not I buy a vehicle. Replacing the dash with a non-factory alternative is not an option for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom