• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is my take. A normal analog gauge, is much like a clock face. Once you are familiar with it, you don't need to pay much attention to the numbers, you know where your are at by the needle's position. Just like you don't need to see numbers on a traditional clock to know what time it is.

The Elgin is an analog approximation of a digital display that requires you interpret numbers. The act of reading the numbers is distracting from the task of driving. Just like many here, I end up knowing what my speed and rev's are from the sound of the vehicle and motor, along with visual cues, but until then I am reliant on the gauges. I prefer gauges to displays because they are faster to interpret. Hence, while the Elgin is cool and unique, it is also a distracting. I prefer not to have distractions from the task at hand, namely driving, so my position on the Elgin displays is that I prefer the analog gauges, even if they are more mundane.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love this thread....
Seth says he likes the Elgin.....
Everybody b!t#h3s they hate it....
Elio goes to analog....
Now IT'S not good enough.....
ENOUGH already people...
It's a sub 10K vehicle.....
Get over it !!!!!!!!!
... A little anger issues? Many like the Elgin instruments, unlike your statement of "Everyone b!t#h3s they hate it....". Why didn't someone (like yourself) say, Paul wants the Elgin dash.... Get over it!!!... And say it's good enough...? I am guessing you want the analog dash and now you want to portray the point as if Everyone was b!t#hing. Very interesting in deed...

Cost, I believe is the biggest factor. Not everyone b!t#hing. And I appreciate you trying to "bring everyone together".

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps for people who want it, it will be an option. Would seem there is still tons of time for that to happen. I personally find it very classy looking, but sooner have what I'm use too, old fashion no-nonsense gauges. To each is there own.
I don't think they could do it as a no cost option though; Cache Man tagged it correctly; cost.
Being that the Elgin is a "custom" instrument it would be more expensive then a standard "off the shelf" gauge.

I can see where they could offer it as a optional part that you would have to pay the difference on.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was me when I found out they were officially doing away with the Elgin gauges:

tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was me when I found out they were officially doing away with the Elgin gauges:

tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif
Has it officially gone? I thought the only announcement was the one gentleman at the show saying it. Coss has pointed out to me that isn't official. Did someone see it in a Elio blog or an email response?

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has it officially gone? I thought the only announcement was the one gentleman at the show saying it. Coss has pointed out to me that isn't official. Did someone see it in a Elio blog or an email response?

I guess you're right. I just took the guy working at the most recent show saying "it's definitely gone" as official.

Top Bottom