• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Answers To “bright” Questions

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
https://www.eliomotors.com/answers-to-bright-questions/

Happy Friday Elio’ers! It could be because the days are getting longer every day, but we’ve got lighting on our minds. This week’s Momentum was all about the exterior lighting on the Elio and it created some great discussion and questions. So this week, we’ll be talking about lights!

First, how about some fun facts about automotive lighting?

The very first head lamps, introduced in the late 1880s, used either acetylene or oil as the energy source. The costs of both sources were quite high, so few motorists had the opportunity to drive when the sun was down. The first electric powered headlights hit the market in 1898 and were featured on the Columbia Electric Car. That’s right- the first electric headlights were invented in the 19th century on an electric car!

Despite its introduction, electric headlights were not immediately commonplace for a couple of reasons. First, driving an automobile at the time as not exactly a smooth ride and was tough on the filaments. Also, it was hard to produce a light that was small enough for an automobile that could provide the necessary power.

The modern electrical system was introduced by Cadillac in 1912, and from there headlights became more universal. Still, it wasn’t until 1945 that headlights and turn signals were considered the standard in American vehicles. We’ve come a long way since 1898 and it’s almost inconceivable to think that driving at night was once impossible!

[Broken External Image]

As we mentioned, quite a few questions came in about the Elio’s exterior lighting after the Momentum. Here they are:

In last week’s Momentum, you mentioned the Elio will be using a 120 amp alternator. Is that just for lighting purposes?

We have decided to go with a 120 amp alternator to satisfy the power demands of our vehicle, not just to drive but also to provide enough power for possible options!

Will there be options for lights on the fenders to increase visibility?

It depends on demand. At this time, we are not planning to offer them through our ePlus option program. However, if we do not offer this option, we anticipate that the aftermarket will provide.

If you don’t offer LED lights as standard equipment, will they be available as an option?

We are working with our suppliers to determine if the option is viable. Please stay tuned, as we will share this information in the future!

Are fog lights a possibility?

Absolutely! We do plan on offering fog lights as an option through ePlus.

Will there be daytime running lights?

At this stage, we do not plan on offering daytime running lights as standard equipment. But, you will be able to keep the lights on manually during the day.

Is the cover for the headlights made of glass or plastic?

Plastic! Plastic covers have been the standard for the last 30 years or so.

[Broken External Image]

Thanks for your support and have a great weekend!

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny, when I do try to copy paste these things here, It shows [Broken External Image] too.
How does Coss do it right ?
OEM Fog Lights, usually means the body has insets for them to fit into. Should be interesting to see since the Elio has a small frontal profile. Maybe a pair of tiny round ones, or a single skinny middle bar .

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny, when I do try to copy paste these things here, It shows [Broken External Image] too.
OEM Fog Lights, usually means the body has insets for them to fit into. Should be interesting to see since the Elio has a small frontal profile. Maybe a pair of tiny round ones, or a single skinny middle bar .
I've been successful before, no idea why it shows as a broken external image this time...maybe because I'm at work and not my home browser?...

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, any post is a good thing at this time. After the Elios hit the streets I expect this forum will really take off. But, right now we are all basically marking time. With no "real" new from Elio it's getting harder and harder to find something to post. I'm doing what I can to keep the forum alive until the good days arrive.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Like that (what happened, they were good before??)

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
www_gravatar_com_avatar_fed0b86aaa6e97ed744b459c32fde7fc_2507d6b6e021af2ad516048bf36c9022._.png

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Feb 23, 09:18 EST

We are not planning on a center light Coss.

Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team

And

www_gravatar_com_avatar_fed0b86aaa6e97ed744b459c32fde7fc_2507d6b6e021af2ad516048bf36c9022._.png

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Feb 23, 18:47 EST

The article is over three years old and we are working with the correct people to make ours work more safely. If the path we are on is not successful, we will try other paths because the single light is not as safe, in our opinion, as two.

Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team

That answer your question?
Same goes for the 3rd brake lite, it's not required.

Top Bottom