• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Answers To “bright” Questions

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is that USA Manufacturers of three wheel vehicles (motorcycles) will attach a motorcycle vin number to their vehicles and are required to meet EPA/NHTSA/DOT motorcycle compliance certification standards. Arcimoto described MC compliance testing as a 'self certification' process that can be accomplished by using independent professional certification labs. A production ready Solo has been shipped off and is in the process of compliance testing. I ass.u.me Elio will do the same sometime after finalizing the E builds, E testing, and building the first production ready Elio.

The individual State 'licensing requirements' may vary regarding drivers to have a motocycle endorsement or wear a helmet, based on newly passed autocycle legislation, but all three wheelers are registered as a motorcycle with the licensing option as an 'auto cycle sub classification' if it meets the individual States autocycle definition.

The Elio, Solo, and SRK are motorcycles, required to be Motorcycle compliance certified by the manufacturers, or they will be unable to be registered in any State is my understanding.

I approached my State Senator late in 2014 to draft and pass Idaho's 2015 Autocycle Legislation using the there will be swarms of Elio's on the roadways in 2015 so get ready argument..........that didn't happen so "I have no faith, man." However, I do have continued interest.

Last edited:

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As it stands right now, the Solo will be classified as an MC by the NHTSA.
I believe that It will be classified as an Autocycle by some states...
And classified as a Motorcycle by the the others.

And somewhere in these very forums was picture of a SOLO with the center mounted hood headlight. Put there specifically to meet USA motorcycle requirements. So they are being more realistic than Elio given the present regulations.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108

S10.17.1 Installation. The headlighting system installed on a motorcycle must consist of one of the system types specified in this paragraph, and must be located on the front.

S10.17.1.1 Single headlamp.

S10.17.1.1.1 If the system consists of a single headlamp, it must be mounted on the vertical centerline of the motorcycle.

S10.17.1.1.2 If the headlamp contains more than one light source, each light source must be mounted on the vertical centerline with the upper beam no higher than the lower beam, or horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline and mounted at the same height.

S10.17.1.1.3 If the light sources are horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline, the distance between the closest edges of the effective projected luminous lens area in front of the light sources must not be greater than 200 mm.

S10.17.1.2 Two headlamps with both beams.

S10.17.1.2.1 If the system consists of two headlamps, each of which provides both an upper and lower beam, the headlamps must be mounted either at the same height and symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline or mounted on the vertical centerline.

S10.17.1.2.2 If the headlamps are horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline, the distance between the closest edges of their effective projected luminous lens areas must not be greater than 200 mm.

S10.17.1.3 Two headlamps, upper beam and lower beam.

S10.17.1.3.1 If the system consists of two headlamps, one of which provides an upper beam and one of which provides the lower beam, the headlamps must be located on the vertical centerline with the upper beam no higher than the lower beam, or horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline and mounted at the same height.

S10.17.1.3.2 If the headlamps are horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline, the distance between the closest edges of their effective projected luminous lens areas must not be greater than 200 mm.

Evidence in favor: Polaris Slingshot, Can-Am Spyder

Evidence against: Campagne T-Rex (much older, may be grandfathered in)

Maybe Trump will live up to his word and loosen the regulations, but I hope Elio has a plan B that doesn't involve waiting on the CFR to be updated with the word 'autocycle' and all its exemptions.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108

S10.17.1 Installation. The headlighting system installed on a motorcycle must consist of one of the system types specified in this paragraph, and must be located on the front.

S10.17.1.1 Single headlamp.

S10.17.1.1.1 If the system consists of a single headlamp, it must be mounted on the vertical centerline of the motorcycle.

S10.17.1.1.2 If the headlamp contains more than one light source, each light source must be mounted on the vertical centerline with the upper beam no higher than the lower beam, or horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline and mounted at the same height.

S10.17.1.1.3 If the light sources are horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline, the distance between the closest edges of the effective projected luminous lens area in front of the light sources must not be greater than 200 mm.

S10.17.1.2 Two headlamps with both beams.

S10.17.1.2.1 If the system consists of two headlamps, each of which provides both an upper and lower beam, the headlamps must be mounted either at the same height and symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline or mounted on the vertical centerline.

S10.17.1.2.2 If the headlamps are horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline, the distance between the closest edges of their effective projected luminous lens areas must not be greater than 200 mm.

S10.17.1.3 Two headlamps, upper beam and lower beam.

S10.17.1.3.1 If the system consists of two headlamps, one of which provides an upper beam and one of which provides the lower beam, the headlamps must be located on the vertical centerline with the upper beam no higher than the lower beam, or horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline and mounted at the same height.

S10.17.1.3.2 If the headlamps are horizontally disposed about the vertical centerline, the distance between the closest edges of their effective projected luminous lens areas must not be greater than 200 mm.

Evidence in favor: Polaris Slingshot, Can-Am Spyder

Evidence against: Campagne T-Rex (much older, may be grandfathered in)

Maybe Trump will live up to his word and loosen the regulations, but I hope Elio has a plan B that doesn't involve waiting on the CFR to be updated with the word 'autocycle' and all its exemptions.
Again... The Tanom Invader and Campagna T-Rex got a wink and a nod.
That information was given to me directly from a manufacturer's representative.
It was because both those vehicles have side-by-side seating and are ridiculously wide.

From my previous post...
Invader: 83.75"
T-Rex: 78"

The Elio track is 66.8" wide center rim to center rim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campagna_T-Rex
http://www.tanommotors.com/tc-3-coupe/
:

Last edited:
Top Bottom