• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anti-tipping Device

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've owned a smart car for nearly 8 years, and in that time I've seen smart car tipping come and go like 1970's fashions. Tonight, I had the terrible thought of high school/college pranksters seeing the Elio as the new smart car for tipping purposes. But instead of tipping it over one side, I'm thinking the single rear wheel and front-end weight bias lends itself to tipping back-over-front, like a catapult. I hope I'm wrong and this doesn't happen to us, but the world is full of idiots.

Basically, the reverse of this:

image.png

I'm thinking of maybe running a locked cable through the rear wheel or adding an attachment point to the back part of the undercarriage/frame and anchoring the Elio with that cable to a post or pole, like a bike. I know I sound paranoid and this seems silly, but better safe than sorry.

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the basic geometry of the Elio will prevent tipping. The nose will hit the ground before the rear end is a foot or two off the ground. I'm more worried about the morons picking up the rear end and swinging it onto the sidewalk. Explain that parking job to the cop writing the ticket...

Top Bottom