• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any One Else See This......?

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice. Put a little 3M money and mojo behind that and they just might have something there. A year ago I would have said the price point would kill and it will never happen but there are too many butt ugly slingshots running around to say that now.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not about to get excited on "another project" when the one we've all got excited about 7 years ago has not come to fruition as of yet!:D:(

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People can build personal vehicles that have four wheels, it is certainly doable. But they build three wheeled vehicles because being a motorcycle, they have much more leeway. Motorcycles are not as tightly regulated as cars.

Will the autocycle classification Paul Elio has introduced in congress (via Senator Vitter) stop the freedom enjoyed by individuals who build their own three wheeled vehicles? Standards are set such as having airbags. Does that mean this man in post 1 will have to have airbags in the personal vehicle he has built? There are plenty of other standards also. Do they have to be met? Would it spell the doom of the individual's freedom?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will the autocycle classification Paul Elio has introduced in congress (via Senator Vitter) stop the freedom enjoyed by individuals who build their own three wheeled vehicles?

Well, cars can be classified as "kit built" and/or "home built", which greatly reduces the requirements vis-a-vis safety. Homebuilt cars are required to be licensed, have the proper number and position of lights/reflectors, and fit into certain ground clearance rules, but otherwise don't require airbags or much else.

So when it comes to homebuilt motorcycles, I don't think the Autocycle classification will have much impact on personal freedoms. If anything, PE's crusade in this regard has made it easier to build helmet-free custom cars/autocycles :)

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It also will depend on the exact legislation passed in your state. In AZ, the definition is this:
AZ Revised Statutes said:
"Autocycle" means a three‑wheeled motorcycle on which the driver and passengers ride in a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with a roll cage, safety belts for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.
So it would need to follow the same rules as a normal motorcycle plus these specific features to qualify for the license exemption. Although if you're building your own kit vehicle, I imagine you're likely not going to balk at needing to get a motorcycle endorsement to drive/ride it, anyway.

Top Bottom