• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone In Iowa Getting An Elio?

Johnny

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I live in Des Moines and im all the way in to get one or maybe two i really want to get a manual due to loving to drive them but then i also want an auto so everyone i know can drive one of these and check it out them self (most people i know dont know how to drive manual)

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I forget her name, the CEO of smart USA was the former CEO of Saturn. (Note: smart - the "s" is not capitalized.) She said that on average 5%-8% of a car's retail price is attributed to advertising. In 2008, Penske Auto finalized the process of importing smarts to the U.S. and started selling. The first 3 to 4 years there was no TV or print advertising. Un-paid advertising from articles/stories about this new freakishly small car provided un-paid advertising.

I assume Elio can and should follow the same approach for a while. The first couple of years, virtually every where I parted or stopped to get gas, people would ask me about it. The most common question when I was putting on gas was, "is that electric?"

If Elio's are built and if we drive them, we can hopefully save the addition of $400-$500 in advertising. I hope I can buy a couple of them before advertising costs are added by "pushing" them via TV commercials.

If the Elio attains a 5-star crash rating we should be urged to spead the word. I love smarts, but my only complaint is that Mercedes-Benz (owner/builder) has not provided safety information for smart drivers to hand out when asked. I am assuming the Elio may receive the, "that's a death trap" comment all smart drivers hear...a lot. Though smarts are safer than many small cars, essentially a roll cage on wheels, I think the not-safe-perception of smarts has damaged sales to grow.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I signed up just to talk with you guys. I commute 50 miles per day so the Elio would fit well in my life. I've been bitten before with Kickstarter projects that just don't pan out so I'm having a hard time getting in line. I'd appreciate any comments. Dan in Coralville.
Dan, I don't normally gamble the only reason that I put down 1K on the Elio is because I think that is a sure thing.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I forget her name, the CEO of smart USA was the former CEO of Saturn. (Note: smart - the "s" is not capitalized.) She said that on average 5%-8% of a car's retail price is attributed to advertising. In 2008, Penske Auto finalized the process of importing smarts to the U.S. and started selling. The first 3 to 4 years there was no TV or print advertising. Un-paid advertising from articles/stories about this new freakishly small car provided un-paid advertising.

I assume Elio can and should follow the same approach for a while. The first couple of years, virtually every where I parted or stopped to get gas, people would ask me about it. The most common question when I was putting on gas was, "is that electric?"

If Elio's are built and if we drive them, we can hopefully save the addition of $400-$500 in advertising. I hope I can buy a couple of them before advertising costs are added by "pushing" them via TV commercials.

If the Elio attains a 5-star crash rating we should be urged to spead the word. I love smarts, but my only complaint is that Mercedes-Benz (owner/builder) has not provided safety information for smart drivers to hand out when asked. I am assuming the Elio may receive the, "that's a death trap" comment all smart drivers hear...a lot. Though smarts are safer than many small cars, essentially a roll cage on wheels, I think the not-safe-perception of smarts has damaged sales to grow.
One of the reasons MB has not provided literature for owners to hand out regarding the safety of smart cars is because it would leave them wide open to litigation if someone were to get hurt. Accidents are all relative and anything but controlled in the real world.
If more people drove smarts, Yaris, small Scions etc. and so forth, smarts would always be extremely safe. But unfortunately we don't live in that euro-type world. We live here in America where very large Semi tractor trailers and SUV's roam the land (I'm not placing blame, it is what it is). Any car is not particularly safe in a highway speed type accident with an Escalade.

I don't bring this up to bash the smart car. I bring it up to point out that even if the elio achieves a 5 star crash test rating it stands no chance in a head-on at 55mph with a Suburban. A Navigator does, a smart car does not. Regardless of how well they test, if we all get our elios we had better remind ourselves every day that it is classified as a motorcycle, and to other drivers we are essentially a motorcycle. Large Truck and SUV drivers will not be looking for us, and they won't be seeing us in many cases (That is indeed the biggest problem which I'm sure you've experienced with your smart; people do not see small profile vehicles). If they meet us, it won't be pretty in most cases. Defensive driving had better be the rule of the day. I consider my Bike to be very safe; My motorcycle won't kill me. It is some other driver who may. I believe the same goes for Elio.

And that my biggest concern with the Elio. It may be safe as a product, but it will be somewhat less safe just because of what it is. People should not be complacent just because it has car like attributes.
Be careful out there folks. Just because the car is safe it does not guarantee you'll be 'safe' in it. Any Cycle rider will be able to tell you, there is a whole lot of stupid out there.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the reasons MB has not provided literature for owners to hand out regarding the safety of smart cars is because it would leave them wide open to litigation if someone were to get hurt. Accidents are all relative and anything but controlled in the real world.
If more people drove smarts, Yaris, small Scions etc. and so forth, smarts would always be extremely safe. But unfortunately we don't live in that euro-type world. We live here in America where very large Semi tractor trailers and SUV's roam the land (I'm not placing blame, it is what it is). Any car is not particularly safe in a highway speed type accident with an Escalade.

I don't bring this up to bash the smart car. I bring it up to point out that even if the elio achieves a 5 star crash test rating it stands no chance in a head-on at 55mph with a Suburban. A Navigator does, a smart car does not. Regardless of how well they test, if we all get our elios we had better remind ourselves every day that it is classified as a motorcycle, and to other drivers we are essentially a motorcycle. Large Truck and SUV drivers will not be looking for us, and they won't be seeing us in many cases (That is indeed the biggest problem which I'm sure you've experienced with your smart; people do not see small profile vehicles). If they meet us, it won't be pretty in most cases. Defensive driving had better be the rule of the day. I consider my Bike to be very safe; My motorcycle won't kill me. It is some other driver who may. I believe the same goes for Elio.

And that my biggest concern with the Elio. It may be safe as a product, but it will be somewhat less safe just because of what it is. People should not be complacent just because it has car like attributes.
Be careful out there folks. Just because the car is safe it does not guarantee you'll be 'safe' in it. Any Cycle rider will be able to tell you, there is a whole lot of stupid out there.
You make a good point, the crash test rating will not change my decision on purchasing and driving an Elio. I have accepted the risk when I drive down the road. I drive defensively hopefully everyone else does too.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an EMT who has extricated hundred's of people from wrecked cars, safety of the occupants heavily depends on: 1) integrity of the car structure - unlike most cars, a smart is essentially a roll-cage on wheels, 2) passenger containment to hold occupants in a safe position - a smart's air bags seals occupants in a rigid Tridion frame, 3) degree to which structure entraps occupants - compared to other car structures, I assume the smart's Tridion cell structure would be less likely to require the Jaws-of-Life for extrication.

I would be tickled if the Elio surpasses the smart fortwo's crash test ratings.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in Des Moines and im all the way in to get one or maybe two i really want to get a manual due to loving to drive them but then i also want an auto so everyone i know can drive one of these and check it out them self (most people i know dont know how to drive manual)
Getting more future owners from Iowa, that's great. Maybe we will have enough to have a race at the Iowa Speedway. It would be cool if they could bring an Elio to one of the races for display or better yet for the pace car.

Top Bottom