• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Know How Big Of Tire We Can Stuff Under The Back?

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Close enough?

a87f0b0b485a572859ec57943d90dece.jpg

PS You can get tweels on new JD zero turns now too.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see a particular problem driving without a spare. I've had a few punctures, usually from sheet-metal screws I've picked up while shooting exit ramps (moral: don't DO that!), or total internal failure of an overage tire. The latter can be prevented by replacing tires - even ones that look good - at four or five year intervals if you don't use the vehicle that much. I've had failures at 9,000 miles - and eight years . . . tire had completely rotted out.

Today's steel belted radials typically fail slowly - either by a slow leak, or a tread separation. You can limp for several miles on these if need be - if you're careful. Most people never check their spare for inflation, or for that matter, replace it when you buy new tires. In those cases, the spare will be nearly flat - or badly rotted just when you need it. I actually got about two blocks after changing my step-mom's right rear tire . . . at which point the ancient mini-spare I'd just put on blew out.

I'm not a fan of run-flats either. I had a Lexus SC for a few months that was so equipped from the factory - it handled miserably and rode worse than anything deserving of the CircleL has a right to. A change to Michelins and an Auto Club card fixed all my misgivings. For me, I think I'll not worry about the spare and just take my chances with a good set of tires and regular inspections.

Top Bottom