• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Know How Big Of Tire We Can Stuff Under The Back?

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One may be able to mount wide rubber on the Elio but keep in mind it is designed for maximize mileage and aerodynamics. Fat rubber is counter to that approach. I was wondering what rubber is available to maximize that mileage over a standard tire, using low rolling resistance tires but have not looked into it yet.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger that Jeff. I totally understand the point of the car and why the tires should be skinny and fully covered. It's just that along with MPG I also measure a cars efficiency in horse power per ton and smiles per mile. I would gladly give up 5 mpg to have open front fenders and a big fat tire on the back to make the car so cool I have to look back at it as I walk away just to admire it. And yeah that smiles per mile thing I'd give up another 10 mpg for 110 HP with no regrets at all! :)
10qdow2.jpg

Last edited:

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd never lift it but I could see lowering it for better handling. If it's stable enough I'm going to race mine autocrossing for sure. I think it would be a huge advantage on corner exits with only 3 wheels.

If you don't know what autocross is and want to see here is a great video that explains it. Warning it is highly addictive!

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One may be able to mount wide rubber on the Elio but keep in mind it is designed for maximize mileage and aerodynamics. Fat rubber is counter to that approach. I was wondering what rubber is available to maximize that mileage over a standard tire, using low rolling resistance tires but have not looked into it yet.

Well of you're not doing low friction tires might as well just jump in the pig pen and take the Elio off road. Something like this
T021_MED.jpg

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... I also measure a cars efficiency in horse power per ton and smiles per mile.

I hear you man, one gearhead to another. At 55hp, I cannot imagine this will be the canyon carver out of the box that it has the potential to be...but that can and will change...and I am sure there will be a community of devotees that will explore those possibilities to the fullest extent possible ;)

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother fitting a potentially troublesome over-sized rear tire on a front wheel drive car. Having gone through a whole number of cars with progressively wide and expensive tires (and different sized front to rear), I'm now firmly in favour of keeping the rubber standard, at least on a car designed for practicality, rather than just looks.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt seriously if there's enough room for much size change front or back. With the suspension design there will be a lot of room for tuning and tweeking there, if you're so inclined.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I totally understand what you are saying guys and very much appreciate your thoughts on the matter. No question wider tires is counter productive to the MPG cause and any rational person would agree with you and not want to do such a thing. I also know if I was a rational person life would be very dull!

I had several Miata experts tell me it was impossible to fit 17x10 wheels in a car designed for 15 x 6 and even if I did it would look like a monster truck. Since I knew nothing about it I very much appreciated their knowledge and experience of the cars and considered it carefully. Then did it anyway...:)
dewv9i.jpg

334rsi0.jpg

It very well may not be possible to put bigger wheels and tires on an Elio. But I doubt it.... ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom