• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aptera

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just $50M and they are set. They ut it in print on the internet, thus true. That's how it works.

As for mileage, well, they made those numbers up and thus need to be true.

Physics and engineering is overrated. As a Mechanical Engineer, I really don't know a thing. As for a salesperson and websites, they know it all. Why I get paid like I do to do engineering is beyond me. Social media and the internet has all of the answers. All for free.
One R&D concept developer says they need $50M and the other says he can accomplish the same results with $5M. Both set to go “put in print on the internet, thus true, and that‘s how it works”. However, after 13+ years of following enclosed three wheeler concepts, most concepts along with their high risk investor funding turns to vapor. The exception to that is the few new vehicle startups like Vanderhall and Arcimoto that successfully crossed the production finish line and are currently building and delivering production model three wheelers. Arcimoto and Vanderhall both continue operations as a result of their recent successful funding rounds.

I’m skeptical about Aptera’s stated target specs, unproven performance statements, production model MSRP, and market demand.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aptera announces the launch edition. My takeaways:

- Need $50M more to get to production (have raised $85M so far)
- No idea as to when production will finally happen (maybe 12 months)
- Sandy Munro has been working with them (just like he did with Arcimoto)
- A Pre-IPO (so a way for you to get in on the action)
- 400 miles on a charge (extra 40 miles from the solar panels)
- Chassis made where they make Ferraris (Modena Italy)
- Only one model to get things going (thanks Sandy)

Another three wheeler is confirmed to be on the road. Look for one near you soon.
You gotta go back at their website. Correction: it's not 400 miles on a charge, they're claiming 1,000 miles per charge! Now unless they can achieve/prove that in real world driving or there's no Aptera anytime soon.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You gotta go back at their website. Correction: it's not 400 miles on a charge, they're claiming 1,000 miles per charge! Now unless they can achieve/prove that in real world driving or there's no Aptera anytime soon.
the key part of that claim is .... "Travel up to 1,000 miles on a single charge"

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the key part of that claim is .... "Travel up to 1,000 miles on a single charge"
Remember there are two ranges here. The base battery pack is 400mi, and the expensive pack is rated for 1000mi. I'm not all that sure they are taking into account the extra weight of the pack for that longer range. It cost efficency to cart a heavier pack around.

Frankly, the aerodynamic drag used to be 50% of the HP required at 55mph, back in the 1980's. Under 55mph, the weight has the higher affect.
In the Aptera, the drag is a lot less, at 1/2 or 1/3 of a 1980's car with an ICE drive. So at low speeds this is where the Aptera composite chassis has a higher contribution to effciency.

They state thier weight at 1800 to 2200 pounds. (817-998kg). While less than a ICE driven(the Fiesta is 2600lbs), that's not a lot less than current small cars.(70%) But that compares more favorably to other electrics. The BMW i3 is 3000lbs. So 60% of that.

The slow speed advantage of a electric is that it's effciency is kept up while at partial throttle settings, where that isn't true for ICE drive.

So yea. the 1000mi pack will suffer lower effciency at low speed compared to the 400mi pack, but will not suffer compared to ICE drive vehicles with partial throttle 'pumping' loses.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"400 miles" is with the 42kwh battery pack, 1 of 4 battery pack choices, and I estimate that will be the most popular choice.

My daily EV actually has a 42kwh battery pack, it's range is claimed at 300 kms/185 miles.

I can get that range at a steady 55 mph on the freeway in warm weather, but around the city in Winter, I struggle to get 50% of that, which is very annoying. Getting 50 to 60% of claimed range in Winter, is quite common for a lot of EV owners, of different makes and models, the things they don't tell you.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suggest you read my post again. I said, "launch edition" and thus the 400 mile range for that model. The launch edition is what they will launch with, so that's the mileage you'll get. 1000 mile version is later. Just like the DC fast charging.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suggest you read my post again. I said, "launch edition" and thus the 400 mile range for that model. The launch edition is what they will launch with, so that's the mileage you'll get. 1000 mile version is later. Just like the DC fast charging.
LOL. Nothing really matters until Aptera can prove/achieve in real world driving range "UP TO" 400 miles let alone 1,000 miles. Right now, Don't tell me, show me.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember there are two ranges here. The base battery pack is 400mi, and the expensive pack is rated for 1000mi. I'm not all that sure they are taking into account the extra weight of the pack for that longer range. It cost efficency to cart a heavier pack around.

Frankly, the aerodynamic drag used to be 50% of the HP required at 55mph, back in the 1980's. Under 55mph, the weight has the higher affect.
In the Aptera, the drag is a lot less, at 1/2 or 1/3 of a 1980's car with an ICE drive. So at low speeds this is where the Aptera composite chassis has a higher contribution to effciency.

They state thier weight at 1800 to 2200 pounds. (817-998kg). While less than a ICE driven(the Fiesta is 2600lbs), that's not a lot less than current small cars.(70%) But that compares more favorably to other electrics. The BMW i3 is 3000lbs. So 60% of that.

The slow speed advantage of a electric is that it's effciency is kept up while at partial throttle settings, where that isn't true for ICE drive.

So yea. the 1000mi pack will suffer lower effciency at low speed compared to the 400mi pack, but will not suffer compared to ICE drive vehicles with partial throttle 'pumping' loses.
I agree. Test it in the salt flats of Utah at a steady speed and in ideal calm weather conditions. How fast you think should it go to achieve 1,000 mph?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"How fast you think it should go to achieve 1,000 mph?" 1,000 MPH,......... trick question?
LOL, yes. Humor. The answer littleraly is 1000mph. (unless he's refering to acceleration) I always find it interesting about the meaning of meaning.
Fast is a general term and both acceleration and speed are more specific. And it's common to be loose concerning when those are used.

Half of the fights people have online in the world are lost in the difference between specific and general use of words or even ideas. And some of our political con men are purposely saying two things at once, targeting one audiance while not wanting to get legal trouble by what they 'meant'.
(need I name them/him? nope!)

The other fun thing is when people are not clear if they are joking, or are they serious.? And just who is the target of the joke!?

The problem with writing is there is no voice, cadence or body language to give other clues used to expose the intention of the writer.

If you think I'm funny here (nope!) you should experience me in person! :doh:

Top Bottom