• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So no driver? And your on your own to figure things out?
What if you pick that option because your familiar with how to use the Solo, but know nothing about the town?
And you think it's like a regular town (Portland isn't) I wonder if there is a desk there or someone to help.
Uber has drivers and the SRK has 2 seats. However, the Arcimoto SRK's specifications include autonomous driving software for future driverless applications. That is a flexible plus for when I get too old to drive myself. I can only hope I know where I'm going. :)

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Uber has drivers and the SRK has 2 seats. However, the Arcimoto SRK's specifications include autonomous driving software for future driverless applications. That is a flexible plus for when I get too old to drive myself. I can only hope I know where I'm going. :)
Yeah, but would you want to ride passenger in one of those? They are pretty tight, especially if you have luggage.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but would you want to ride passenger in one of those? They are pretty tight, especially if you have luggage.
Yes on riding as a backseat passenger if traveling alone. It wouldn't be a surprise when the SRK pulls up because the Uber customer will have requested the SRK as their funride choice. There is a luggage compartment at the rear of the vehicle. Seems roomy enough. My old bones would find the no doors or optional enclosed 4 door SRK's rear seat ingress/egress very accessible.
IMG_6896.PNG

Last edited:

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doesnt make sense with Uber's current platform. When a customer requests an UberX (Uber's basic service) the driver is required to provide room for at least 4 passengers, and Uber's XL service is required to provide seating for 6. A customer pays for a fare to carry up to those number of people (regardless of how many people actually ride along). Having a vehicle that only has room (and barely at that) for one passenger with no luggage compartment, this wouldn't fit the design for good ridesharing.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doesnt make sense with Uber's current platform. When a customer requests an UberX (Uber's basic service) the driver is required to provide room for at least 4 passengers, and Uber's XL service is required to provide seating for 6. A customer pays for a fare to carry up to those number of people (regardless of how many people actually ride along). Having a vehicle that only has room (and barely at that) for one passenger with no luggage compartment, this wouldn't fit the design for good ridesharing.
Perhaps Uber or Lyft can provide a lower cost ride ("UberS" for "solo") when you only need a ride by yourself? Maybe partner with Mothers Against Drunk Driving or similar don't-drink-and-drive campaigns? A benefit for the rideshare is the potential for using an HOV Lane if needed, which might not be possible with a standard single person's fare in a four-passenger Uber/Lyft vehicle.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps Uber or Lyft can provide a lower cost ride ("UberS" for "solo") when you only need a ride by yourself? Maybe partner with Mothers Against Drunk Driving or similar don't-drink-and-drive campaigns? A benefit for the rideshare is the potential for using an HOV Lane if needed, which might not be possible with a standard single person's fare in a four-passenger Uber/Lyft vehicle.
The only issue is that it severely limits your options/categories. Lets say that they did create this "UberS" category, the problem is that it would be too limited for both drivers and customers.

Think about it. First off, people more often go out to drink together with friends/co-workers/etc, and in my personal experience for driving for Uber, they normally go out/come back in groups. Think about the number of vehicles compared to the number of people requesting the "UberS" rides. If there was a serious interest in this category, Uber would need to have enough Solo/Elio/Arcimoto vehicles on the road in order to provide the demand. Also, from the drivers perspective, they need a constant flow of customers requesting the "UberS" type rides. Regular Uber drivers can accept rides that have 1-4 people with cargo, compared to an "UberS" which can carry only 1 with no cargo.

With these two problems, the customer would be waiting forever to have a close-by free UberS driver to be available to come pick them up...or the drivers of this category would be sitting around forever waiting for a fare to come up (which loses them money).

It comes down to the lack of flexibility of these vehicles towards passenger/cargo capabilities. Don't get me wrong, still wanting mine badly, but that's because I know all the advantages that come with the vehicle. I just don't see them being flexible enough for a ride sharing program.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No sense speculating on how it won't work because according to the news article Arcimoto is on board and plugged into Uber's EV Program........details to follow. Photo compliments of Kepesk from the SRKOwners Forum:

IMG_7192.JPG

Last edited:

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another model they can explore is "first-mile/last-mile" service, where a fleet of Solos (or eventually Elios) would provide rides for residents of underserved communities to get them to main transit hubs or backbones from their communities. Many residents in these communities have difficulty reaching mass transit lines because those lines don't provide shuttles to the communities, but dedicated Solos and Elios can fill in that transit gap. Local communities could perhaps apply for grants and subsidies and partner with the manufacturers to get these vehicles to community organizers, who can run this service with local drivers.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another model they can explore is "first-mile/last-mile" service, where a fleet of Solos (or eventually Elios) would provide rides for residents of underserved communities to get them to main transit hubs or backbones from their communities. Many residents in these communities have difficulty reaching mass transit lines because those lines don't provide shuttles to the communities, but dedicated Solos and Elios can fill in that transit gap. Local communities could perhaps apply for grants and subsidies and partner with the manufacturers to get these vehicles to community organizers, who can run this service with local drivers.
Excellent idea! However, don't count on the previously available grants and subsidies that may help the average worker's commute based on the current Administration's policy roll backs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom