• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The specs on the website list 75mph top speed. An increase of 10mph would certainly help make it safer on the highway. Have there been updates on that? Nevermind, I found the new 85mph value on the main page.

Safety on these will fall somewhere between a traditional motorcycle and a compact car. Probably closer to the compact car end of that spectrum, too. Seatbelts, full roll cage protecting the passenger compartment, crumple zones and airbags all help safety substantially.
I agree. My main concern is side impact in a narrow cabin vehicle.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but only worse in the sense that all side impacts are on the driver's side.

With the increased top speed and delivery enclosure option, it's getting closer to being a practical daily driver. As long as that doesn't add much to the cost, those details will help close the gap with the Elio (the remaining one being AC). One other downside is that with handlebars it doesn't qualify as an autocycle in AZ, so I'd need to get a motorcycle license to drive (ride?) it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
on the topic of side impact, an interesting point was made a good while back .... with its single rear wheel and light body weight, trikes like an Elio tend to give when hit from the side .... giving with the force can lessen the force of the impact .... certainly not any end-all but it is a point worth considering

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, assuming that it hits the front wheel. A collision with a vehicle coming from the right when making a left turn is probably the worst protected. In that scenario, the front left of the car would impact the cross bar beside the driver of the tadpole trike.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3 point safety harness: Marketing jargon for "seat belt".

Doesn't really look like it has much room for a crumple zone. That front end is *short*!
It's all Elio Motor's and Arcimoto's safety jargon until both vehicles are crash tested. The safety roll cage of the SRK looks as well engineered as the Elio's, but only crash testing will verify the marketing safety jargon. We certainly can't eyeball it.

I prefer not to crash in either regardless of the official crashed tested safety ratings.

image.jpg

Mark Frohnmayer

Elio Fan
Reaction score
But does the general public really want "a motorcycle like driving experience"?
You and I do part of the time, but that's what I've got a couple of motorcycles for.
I'm a biker and low and behold, it's not what I would want on this vehicle.

IMO, the handlebars are a HUGE marketing mistake.

A lot of good discussion here (will get to most of it eventually), but I want to address straight up the questions around switching controls to handlebars.

First - it's not a "motorcycle like driving experience." Two-wheeled motorcycles lean and counter-steer. This is much more like a very refined quad or snowmobile like driving experience. As we've dialed in the steering, we're landing on a system that's both easy to maneuver for tight turns (urban driving/parking) and very stable at speed. We're going to continue to polish the experience to take it from good to great as we iterate through the alpha, beta and pilot units.

Second - Arcimoto doesn't use a marketing-driven design process. You just don't get to an awesome vehicle product by asking people to hypothesize about what they've never seen before.

Third - handlebar steering is a fundamental part of the last iteration that resulted in massive design benefits for the product: lighter weight, much better urban footprint, easier egress for the back seat, and a much more dynamic, engaging ride experience.

Finally, we simply invite you to try it, before you make up your mind about how it's going to be. So far our experience with the design has been very positive, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of good discussion here (will get to most of it eventually), but I want to address straight up the questions around switching controls to handlebars.

First - it's not a "motorcycle like driving experience." Two-wheeled motorcycles lean and counter-steer. This is much more like a very refined quad or snowmobile like driving experience. As we've dialed in the steering, we're landing on a system that's both easy to maneuver for tight turns (urban driving/parking) and very stable at speed. We're going to continue to polish the experience to take it from good to great as we iterate through the alpha, beta and pilot units.

Second - Arcimoto doesn't use a marketing-driven design process. You just don't get to an awesome vehicle product by asking people to hypothesize about what they've never seen before.

Third - handlebar steering is a fundamental part of the last iteration that resulted in massive design benefits for the product: lighter weight, much better urban footprint, easier egress for the back seat, and a much more dynamic, engaging ride experience.

Finally, we simply invite you to try it, before you make up your mind about how it's going to be. So far our experience with the design has been very positive, but as always, your mileage may vary.
Mark, Sadly you lose me as a future customer if I have to MC test (classroom and riding) to meet the MC endorsement and helmet requirements. I was involved in getting the autocycle legislation sponsored, the Bill written, and passed in the State of Idaho which at the time covered both the Elio and the SRK. I don't think politicians will welcome changes to or feel the need to amend the newly passed legislation anytime soon.

Note: I prefer the idea of the handlebar steering experience, but not the licensing requirements.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is much more like a very refined quad or snowmobile like driving experience. As we've dialed in the steering, we're landing on a system that's both easy to maneuver for tight turns (urban driving/parking) and very stable at speed. We're going to continue to polish the experience to take it from good to great as we iterate through the alpha, beta and pilot units.

(SNIP)

Well... quad steering and snowmobile steering are exactly what I don't like.
But, I appreciate the invitation and will take you up on it with an open mind.

Wow. I think Rick may have a huge point.
If one of the requirements of autocycle designation in some states is a steering wheel...

By the by, as you cover the other questions, could you give us the curb weight of the GEN 8?

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A Company developing a product should be somewhat market driven or product designers may end up with an awesome product design that only a few buy and you can't bank awesomeness. With that said I have no formal marketing background.

Top Bottom