• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's the realistic range for a fully enclosed climate controlled unit at a 70-80 mph speed. Of course that's the morning commute. The afternoon commute would be varying speeds of 20-80 stop and go traffic. About 45 miles each way.
I love the idea of an EV but have yet seen one that I'd trust to get me to work and back home range wise and yet still meet safety, speed, and price expectations. So far the only one I've seen that comes close but is further away from production is the LitMotors C-1 unit. I too am a motorcyclist but would rather have a steering wheel in the sitting configuration.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's the realistic range for a fully enclosed climate controlled unit at a 70-80 mph speed. Of course that's the morning commute. The afternoon commute would be varying speeds of 20-80 stop and go traffic. About 45 miles each way.
I love the idea of an EV but have yet seen one that I'd trust to get me to work and back home range wise and yet still meet safety, speed, and price expectations. So far the only one I've seen that comes close but is further away from production is the LitMotors C-1 unit. I too am a motorcyclist but would rather have a steering wheel in the sitting configuration.
If determined the 70 mile range was inadequate there is a 130 mile option. I prefer the C-1 over the Elio or SRK but the gyro controlled drive is highly unlikely. Lack of a C-1 prototype travelling over 10 mph is why I got my reservation deposit refunded long ago.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not having AC when it's 115F outside reduces its practical range to precisely zero miles. I imagine the same is true for heat in colder climates.
I will drive my primary vehicle if or when the Elio or the SRK isn't functional for whatever the reason.

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never made it to the C-1 prototype deposit before I came across the Elio. The Elio eliminated the range issue entirely and seemed closer to production. The EV's would satisfy a shorter commute now. When their range/price median is better I'll give them more consideration.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why are we presuming that Team Arcimoto...
Has "no doubt studied very carefully their everyday electric demographic"?

I'm in that demographic, was in a business catering to the public for over twenty years...
And am proven to have a pretty good ability to view things from Joe Public's vantage point.

IMHO, the handlebars will alienate at least 20 potential customers to gain 5 forward thinkers.
I looked at the Teams credentials and they seem to have design, engineering, and marketing experience in the mix of brains.

When it comes to both Elio Motors and Arcimoto I have nothing to base fact on. I can only ass.u.me and or presume based on their marketing strategies, wild speculation, limited progress, and production schedule guesswork. I may buy one of each if either make it to production and I am somewhat doubtful having followed both for years.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question: is the Arcimoto highway safe ? Meaning could I put it on an interstate highway safely ?
Safety roll cage, front and rear crumple zones, 3 point safety harnesses, 0-60 in 7 seconds, top speed 85 mph.
No plans for airbags, that I'm aware of. Certainly safe as far as motorcycles go. Crash testing both the SRK and the E will be interesting and answer our question of safety.

I wouldn't feel particularly safe in either the SRK, the Elio, or any other motorcycle at highway speeds.

image.jpg

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The specs on the website list 75mph top speed. An increase of 10mph would certainly help make it safer on the highway. Have there been updates on that? Nevermind, I found the new 85mph value on the main page.

Safety on these will fall somewhere between a traditional motorcycle and a compact car. Probably closer to the compact car end of that spectrum, too. Seatbelts, full roll cage protecting the passenger compartment, crumple zones and airbags all help safety substantially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom