• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As Rick and Mark pointed out, fuel consumption is only a fraction of what a particular vehicle costs to drive.
Figure the cost of the vehicles over the life of the vehicles.
Figure in the differences in insurance and registration.
Figure in the costs of parts and labor over the life of the vehicles etc.
Then figure in the costs of fuel.

Case in point:

I thought I got a great deal on a 2001 AWD Safari Cargo Van for $3700 four years ago.
I've only driven it an average of 1500 miles a year, but it's cost me about $500 a year in maintainence.
Add in $500 a year for registration and insurance.
And add depreciation of about $2800 (I'm selling it for $900).

Now factor in a gas mileage of 12mpg ($1500 in gas over 4 years) and that vehicle cost me about $1.38 a mile to drive.

I can't believe that I allowed that to go on for four years.

I've bought a used trailer and am buying a hitch for my car.
The trailer cost $180 plus $135 for registration, fees and taxes.
Figure in another $80 for the new tires and rims I bought.
Trailer registration is only $6 per year here.

The complete class III hidden hitch system should come in @ around $200.

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you add in the cost of the next vehicle you buy (minus the cost of replacing the battery pack on an EV you buy now), then the cost case for an affordable EV looks quite good.
Why would you add in the cost of the next whole vehicle for an Elio against just the battery pack replacement for an EV? Will an EV like the Arcimoto SRK (other than the battery itself) be good for double the miles and/or years?

By the way, I do understand TCO is more than just fuel cost. It's just that I tend to drive vehicles for their entire useful life, so that simplifies the comparison quite a bit as purchase price and fuel cost tend to dominate the equation in that case:
  • I assume that they will last the same length of time/miles (15 yrs, 150k miles)
  • Include fuel cost for the gas vehicle and only half of the electricity cost (to offset the added maintenance of gas engines)
  • write-off the entire purchase price for both vehicles at the end of 15yrs as depreciation
  • Tie goes to lower purchase price (i.e. lower opportunity cost)
I think that's a fair comparison, is it not? The specific numbers I used come out very similar between the two (<5% difference), but the lower purchase price of the Elio along with standard fully enclosed cabin and A/C makes it more attractive to me.

Mark Frohnmayer

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Why would you add in the cost of the next whole vehicle for an Elio against just the battery pack replacement for an EV? Will an EV like the Arcimoto SRK (other than the battery itself) be good for double the miles and/or years?

We expect the Arcimoto SRK to have many fewer wear items than ICE vehicles, and to last substantially longer. I don't think a 300,000 mile vehicle is unreasonable, but over time we'll aim much higher.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Sorry that thing screams I'm a Soy Latte Skim Milk drinking Vegetarian eating White Hipster all over it."

Please. Hemp milk mochas only.

In all seriousness, we at Arcimoto have nothing but respect for the effort Elio and others are undertaking to redefine the unreasonable patterns of today's transportation paradigm. We think that both the SRK and the Elio will find enthusiastic customers and significant market penetration. Which solution is right for you will depend on your vehicle usage patterns and needs. Generation 8 will actually be a further differentiation within this broad category, and we look forward to sharing it with everyone who hungers for a simple, reasonable and awesome way of getting around. Stay tuned ;-).
Mark, welcome to the forum and thanks for bringing in another perspective. The more who are involved in this transportation revolution the better.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Mark...I was wondering just how tough the body is on your car.

In my avatar you see a silver dent. That is what my hand did to my trunk of my car. :D

Curious to know of your vehicle has stronger body panels ;)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This old high mileage body has wear and is being held together by surgical stainless steel rods and screws. I need an enclosed three wheeler sweet ride if only somebody will get one to production. How long it lasts is a non-issue, it will outlast me regardless.

A new slogan: Just Do It! Wait a minute, is there a copyright on that one?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Mark...I was wondering just how tough the body is on your car.

In my avatar you see a silver dent. That is what my hand did to my trunk of my car. :D

Curious to know of your vehicle has stronger body panels ;)
I do know the carbon fiber body of the Solo EV will be stronger. How's your hand?

All of these narrow cabin three wheelers should be carbon fiber or Kevlar monocoque construction for added structural safety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom