• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Arcimoto Generation 8 SRK reveal! I like the refinements made to the Arcimoto everyday SRK electric. Easy access rear seat with the flip up opening door. The open cabin and 2 closed cabin options make it versatile. Base $11,900, 240 MPGe. No gas to buy, ever!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I loved the pulse styling.
However, I can understand trading style for weight, performance and practical application.
Gen 8 could grow on me, especially if it proves to be a blast to drive.

A couple of questions.
Is that a handlebar set-up instead of a steering wheel? :(
The "body" and framing look a bit flimsy.
Will 'A' be crash testing this version?

And finally, Rick or Mark, where do I find these pics?

Edit:

OK, I found the pics and more at the link you provided in your post.
Minus points for the handlebar set-up rather than a steering wheel.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I loved the pulse styling.
However, I can understand trading style for weight, performance and practical application.
Gen 8 could grow on me, especially if it proves to be a blast to drive.

A couple of questions.
Is that a handlebar set-up instead of a steering wheel?
The "body" and framing look a bit flimsy.
Will A be crash testing this version?

And finally, Rick or Mark, where do I find these pics?
The handle bar steering provides for a motorcycle like driving experience. It looks like a hoot to drive in this video.

https://www.facebook.com/Arcimoto/videos/vb.254707685073/10156188582960074/?type=2&theater

The link to the specs and photos: http://www.arcimoto.com

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Front and rear crumple zones, 3 point safety harness, and roll cage is mentioned. Side impact in the SRK or the Elio is something I would want to avoid. Both are safer than a traditional motorcycle.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The handle bar steering provides for a motorcycle like driving experience. It looks like a hoot to drive in this video.

https://www.facebook.com/Arcimoto/videos/vb.254707685073/10156188582960074/?type=2&theater

The link to the specs and photos: http://www.arcimoto.com
Yeah.

Saw the video already.
But does the general public really want "a motorcycle like driving experience"?
You and I do part of the time, but that's what I've got a couple of motorcycles for.
I'm a biker and low and behold, it's not what I would want on this vehicle.

As I've said before about this company, it's easy to get caught up in what the designers personally like...
and loose sight of designing something that's going to appeal to the widest audience/market...
and therefore not insure the best chance for the product's, and the company's, success.

And this is more than just an Elgin issue.

I'm thinking of biker and non-biker (most of the population), young and old, male and female.
IMO, the handlebars are a HUGE marketing mistake.

* In the video, they're going dead straight down the highway.

This vehicle does not lean, but turns like a car. The handlebars look like they're on a fixed immobile shaft.
In my cars, the steering wheel goes around a couple of times before the wheels reach their turning limit.
That provides a great deal (more range per degree of turn) of control.

I'm sure that we're not going to have to "flip" the handlebars 720 degrees to navigate a sharp turn.
IMO, it'll either have an oversensitive steering control (too little handlebar turn for too much wheel turn)...
Or making a sharp turn is going to require an awkward (to the GP) "motorcycle" arm/body maneuver.
After all, you're not going to be able to go "hand over hand" on handlebars.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah.

Saw the video already.
But does the general public really want "a motorcycle like driving experience"?
You and I do part of the time, but that's what I've got a couple of motorcycles for.
I'm a biker and low and behold, it's not what I would want on this vehicle.

As I've said before about this company, it's easy to get caught up in what the designers personally like...
and loose sight of designing something that's going to appeal to the widest audience/market...
and therefore not insure the best chance for the product's, and the company's, success.

And this is more than just an Elgin issue.

I'm thinking of biker and non-biker (most of the population), young and old, male and female.
IMO, the handlebars are a HUGE marketing mistake.

* In the video, they're going dead straight down the highway.

This vehicle does not lean, but turns like a car. The handlebars look like they're on a fixed immobile shaft.
In my cars, the steering wheel goes around a couple of times before the wheels reach their turning limit.
That provides a great deal (more range per degree of turn) of control.

I'm sure that we're not going to have to "flip" the handlebars 720 degrees to navigate a sharp turn.
IMO, it'll either have an oversensitive steering control (too little handlebar turn for too much wheel turn)...
Or making a sharp turn is going to require an awkward (to the GP) "motorcycle" arm/body maneuver.
After all, you're not going to be able to go "hand over hand" on handlebars.
I hear and understand what you are saying about the Handlebar Steering, but Arcimoto is making reference to the SRK classified motorcycle as a motorcycle. Elio is making reference to their classified motorcycle as a car (autocycle). I'm not a biker, but do find the SRK an interesting commuter option.

Team Arcimoto has smart design, engineering and marketing talents on board guiding the design and development process through 8 prototypes with signifcant improvements made on each along the way as a result of testing. They no doubt have studied very carefully their everyday electric demographic. I think their market will be as diverse as EM's with some potential customers having range anxiety issues and some just anti EV. The base 70 mile range works fine for my daily driving needs.

There are questions I have about the development, production, performance, handling, and ride of both the Elio and the SRK which a test drive will answer. Both have anticipated 2016 production schedules and I'll end up buying the one that wins the race.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why are we presuming that Team Arcimoto...
Has "no doubt studied very carefully their everyday electric demographic"?

I'm in that demographic, was in a business catering to the public for over twenty years...
And am proven to have a pretty good ability to view things from Joe Public's vantage point.

IMHO, the handlebars will alienate at least 20 potential customers to gain 5 forward thinkers.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I couldn't find is whether there's a plan to have a fully enclosed (i.e. fully weather proof) and climate controlled cabin (A/C & heat). Electric vs gas is irrelevant to me if I can't use the thing comfortably for half of the year.
I hear ya, but keep in mind AC and Heat on an EV seriously reduce range.
I agree that if this type of vehicle is not comfortable...
In at least moderate temperature fluctuations and inclement weather...
it's not a utilitarian vehicle, it's ultimately another novelty toy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom