• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perfect Pizza delivery vehicle
Domino's already uses the Deliverator:
fuv dominos.JPG

Plus, Whalburger uses them too:
whalburgerfuv.JPG

Now with the MUV, I can see Pizza Hut and Papa Johns buying them up.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was taking a closer look at the FUV today, for my own uses.
1691768932292.png

I would consider it if,
1) The Mongrel doesn't become available, or I find I could use both, (now or after I retire)
2) (for now while I work) If I can drive it to work
3) The fuel savings would pay for it, or it's just too useful after I retire.

So it's top speed is 75. And at 75mph it has a range of 32 miles. At 55 it gets 66miles of range.
My work takes 45min, and is 27miles each way. Very-very few people drive 75, super less at 65, most are 78 to 82mph. (the speed limit IS 65mph)
I'm spending about $350/mo in gas at 32mpg, in my Corolla. (not at rush hours, ave people are going 74 to 79mph)

I would have to recharge both at work, and at home. No big diversions enroute would be possible, unless I go to the few charging stations around and sit for xx minutes. With no windows and no AC, I wouldn't drive it in Arizona between July 1st and September 1st. The other 10 months would be super OK.

So it would be just marginal for my commute if I run on the freeways. But if I use surface streets, these max out at 50mph or so, so I would get 66miles in range and can charge just at home when I have no side trips. It just costs me an added 10 minutes each way.

So the commute is very marginally covered. The cost of this vehicle with doors, is 22,400, add $1500 for Tax etc, so the damage is about $24k.
So at around 7% interest, at the cost of money loans, with a payoff in 4 years, I would have to pay $620 per month. So if electricity cost me
$50/mo, I'm still paying out $320 so I can drive this.

It only makes sense for me to consider it if I'm also replacing my current ride.
So retired or not, just based on money, it would have to wait until I replace my Corolla. (or want a backup)
After I retire, I definitely want a backup, since the Corolla will be 6 to 7 years old.

In the case of the Mongrel, I won't wait for retirement. It ticks all my boxes. (as does the Elio)

If I did get one, with-in a few years I'd have to see if I could do a bit of a hack on it. It would end up a Solo, probably get the range up by 40%. The Electra Mechannica only had RWD, so I'ld like this better.
1691777166980.png

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 26685
I would consider it if,
1) The Mongrel doesn't become available, or I find I could use both, (now or after I retire)

So it's top speed is 75. And at 75mph it has a range of 32 miles. At 55 it gets 66miles of range.
My work takes 45min, and is 27miles each way. Very-very few people drive 75, super less at 65, most are 78 to 82mph. (the speed limit IS 65mph)
I'm spending about $350/mo in gas at 32mpg, in my Corolla. (not at rush hours, ave people are going 74 to 79mph)

I would have to recharge both at work, and at home. No big diversions enroute would be possible, unless I go to the few charging stations around and sit for xx minutes. With no windows and no AC, I wouldn't drive it in Arizona between July 1st and September 1st. The other 10 months would be super OK.

So it would be just marginal for my commute if I run on the freeways. But if I use surface streets, these max out at 50mph or so, so I would get 66miles in range and can charge just at home when I have no side trips. It just costs me an added 10 minutes each way.

So the commute is very marginally covered. The cost of this vehicle with doors, is 22,400, add $1500 for Tax etc, so the damage is about $24k.
So at around 7% interest, at the cost of money loans, with a payoff in 4 years, I would have to pay $620 per month. So if electricity cost me

It only makes sense for me to consider it if I'm also replacing my current ride.
So retired or not, just based on money, it would have to wait until I replace my Corolla. (or want a backup)
After I retire, I definitely want a backup, since the Corolla will be 6 to 7 years old.

In the case of the Mongrel, I won't wait for retirement. It ticks all my boxes. (as does the Elio)

If I did get one, with-in a few years I'd have to see if I could do a bit of a hack on it. It would end up a Solo, probably get the range up by 40%. The Electra Mechannica only had RWD, so I'ld like this better.
View attachment 26687
Arcimoto will likely provide longer range and fast charge capability in the near future as battery tech improves. The FUV is currently an urban commuter with the advantage of highway speeds for those that have short highway runs as part of their shorter daily commute. Regarding the design hack, in a few years your worn older body parts may appreciate the added seat height, driver comfort, and visibly (see and Be seen) of the current design that is comparable to a SUV. What may sell you is a test drive if/when available in your area.

1691786095347.jpeg

Last edited:

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 26685
I would consider it if,

View attachment 26687
Where did the battery go?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually like the rendered styling, renderings are easy, but form follows function. One can have both, but I prefer driver comfort, performance and handling over styling. The FUV can look pretty bad ass or playful given the right color combinations. My FUV test drive was a blast and driver comfort (ingress/egress and sitting position) was similar to my SUV. I’d buy a FUV in a heartbeat if was fully enclosed and had available sales and service. Full enclosure for my application, only because I’d have to store it 3-4 months in my harsh winter weather climate. Also, a 2 seater like the FUV or future BEX, is far more appealing to the mass market.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I did get one, with-in a few years Ild have to see if I could do a bit of a hack on it. Probably get the range up by 40%.
Yes, the black blobs are boxes behind the front wheels. In my imagination the batteries have been split and put in there, left and right. And maybe some still behind the driver. And yep, this would be a major restucture, for the most part using the Arcim as a donor.

But I agree, most people are not as dedicated to loosing access and comfort in exchange for efficency. I am admittedly OCD about that.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good news, Arcimoto sales are up. In this period for last year (first 6 months), they sold 65 but this year 102 (57% increase) . Plus, they have the plant and other properties up for sale, so they can raise more money and then use a Lease buyback program. They are not losing as much money either.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More good news. They only lost $20M in the first 6 months as opposed to $30M last year. Revenue is up too. It shows that shutting down the plant and eliminating 2/3 of your workforce is a good thing. As of now, they need to sell 7100 units in 2025 to be cash positive. That's much better than the 50K Mark wanted. They should be able to do that.

On the other hand, they only had 8 units that customers were waiting for. You need to do a non refundable deposit before they start production. From what I heard, they can make 6 per day but what they are doing is only working enough to fulfill orders. I'm guessing that means, you shut down when you catch up or reduce the hours you work per day or reduce people. The other issue is the accumulated debt has ballooned. This was expected as they are mortgaging and doing promissory notes and borrowing to keep the company going. They need sales to go up by a pretty good amount because at their current pace, if they can hit 250 by the end of 2023, that will be a stretch. Plus, the sales numbers they have (which are well hidden) include used models too.

There you go. Hopefully they can turn the sales numbers around as they have cut costs to the bone. I do wonder what Mark is doing as he seems to be MIA for a while.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I probably should not bother anyone with this observation about AC, since no one is likely to take advantage of this.
Skip this post if you don't want some technical/experimental details around AC.

The Arcimoto has no AC, which seems like a big deal here in AZ. But all the sunshine is very compatible with the vehicle, even so.

But for me, I want AC. Having said that, I discovered something, because well, I just do shit to see what happens. (if it only risks embarrassment or my time)

I had a car with broken AC in the summer 25 years ago in Phoenix. So at one point I just put on a flannel shirt and an arm out the window on top of the mirror so that air poured down the sleave. I figured I could channel the air that way over my whole body.

So, oddly, I found that sweat at my arms cooled that air very well, and the shirt kept that cool air for the rest of my body. It perfectly self regulated such that I actually did not percieve any wetness on anything, (except where I sat against the seat) and the air felt like a 68 degree ocean light breeze. Certainly I had to wash that arm after any length of travel. The issues seems to be, that once you cool moving air with your body sweat, you should keep it as long as it stays cool. It's an extremely efficient, self regulated, swamp cooler.

So for the next unexpected test;
My step son and I desided to take a Saturday exercizing bike ride around Camelback mountain at the edge of Phoenix. It was mid-summer at 115 degrees (at noon, no clouds at all). Plenty hot even for Phoenix. He opted for tank-top and shorts. I had shorts, and an oversized, hooded, long sleave beach shirt, made of thin white 100% cotten. Say what? At 115 degrees you want long sleaves?, in a hoodie? I also had my hood up, pinned under a sun visor, but with the sides open like a scoop for air to enter. The sleaves were also open to scoop air. So here was a perfect side-by-side comparison test.

I looked pretty interesting to people on the sidewalks. It appeared I was dressed as if going out for a cross country swiss military skiing trek,... but on a mountain bike? Sagging and floppy hoodie and shorts? 115 degrees? Confusing!

First, you have to understand that wet cotten cools 2.5times better than wet skin. YOU get taught that in military survival training. So too hot or too cold you need to consider that fact anytime excess moisture is present.

Second, I had already had my arm-out-the-sleave-while-driving adventure. So I was optimistic.

Third, if it didn't work, I could always take it off, and put up with the sun-burn if need-be.

Well, the ride was about 30 minutes, with some parts waiting at traffic lights for the city part of the ride. At the end, I felt like I'd been sitting in front of a 65 degree AC, drinking margarittas. And I was totally dry. Even cold. My step son was wet and pretty darn warm. When we stopped, we couldn't for long because he would become buring up and flash red hot.

While being wet was good for him when ridding, the wind would take all that cool air away. So when he stops, your body has to depend on the wet continuing to evaporate, but the wind is no longer helping. So that is a big change to keep up with. And the noon sun is on him.

But for me, my body regulated the wet perfectly, keeping that cool air in the shirt which stayed dry. Or if it did get some wet, it dryed very quickly. When I stopped the cotten was not wet so it insulated plently well for the minute or so while we waited for a traffic light. I was more comfortible than people simply out walking short distances into stores, or what ever they were up to. And the sun was not touching me under that white hoodie.
If when we stopped and my sweat did start getting the shirt wet, well, it cools 2.5 times better than naked skin!

I did offered for him to try the shirt. He refused, which is pretty likely what most people would do. Us humans are wierd right?

When we got home, he had to drink a lot more water than I did. I needed a warm cup-o-soup!

So on an Arcimoto, I could likely plum an air vent (screen filtered) to a couple fabric hoses attached to a custom hoody at my arm pits. I will be better off than people with regular AC. I won't care what I look like at that point. Just need a shower before bed. Although, total count, I will have sweated less than some other people.

But admittedly, maybe I don't want to look that wierd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom