• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Completely Happy With The Design Of Elio?

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'04 Mustang.
I've never noticed a problem with it being on the passenger side.
Other than McBrew's observation, I'm just not getting this discussion what-so-ever. :confused:

In fact, those who have a filler cap on the drivers side: Convince me that you've never...
Pulled up too close to the pump and either bumped the driver's door on the steel guard post...
Or... had difficulty squeezing out the driver's door because you couldn't open it completely.
:violin::violin::violin::violin::lalala::lalala::lalala::drum:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
JEBar said on his wife's new Camaro the gas door is on the passenger side; his daughter has one a year older (2015) and it's on the passenger side also.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most if not all the GM products I have owned over the years had the gas door on the Passengers side (i have owned 5)

Toyota gas doors on driver's side ( I have owned 4)

Datsuns on Driver's side (have owned 2)

2 Chryslers... do not recall location

Also owed a 59 Thunderbird. Cannot recall location of gas cap.

As I stated before I prefer the gas fill up door on the Driver's but can get used to vehicles with gas doors on either side

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me as a female, it would be a safety concern for the fuel filler to be on the passenger's side. Currently I leave my purse in and lock all doors but the driver's door when I fuel up. This is a MAJOR concern for me!
I have filled left and filled right and even filled rear, but I have never filled scared. I hope you can find peaceful well lit fueling stations, regardless of vehicle fill location.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Texting is far from being new; it's been around since 1992 (24 years) but wasn't really started being popular till 1995 (21 years)

The first text message was sent in 1992 from Neil Papworth, a former developer at Sema Group Telecoms. Mobile phones didn't have keyboards at the time, so Papworth had to type the message on a PC. Papworth's text — "Merry Christmas" — was successfully sent to Richard Jarvis at Vodafone.

Nokia was the first handset manufacturer whose total GSM phone line in 1993 supported user-sending of SMS text messages. In 1997, it became the first manufacturer to produce a mobile phone with a full keyboard: the Nokia 9000i Communicator.

Like any new technology, initial growth for SMS was slow. The average American user sent 0.4 texts per month in 1995. Gradually, phones and networks adapted to better accommodate SMS. In 1999, texts could finally be exchanged between different networks, which increased its usefulness. By 2000, the average number of text messages sent in the U.S. increased to 35 a month per person.

The IBM Simon had the first touchscreen in 1992 — it's also referred as the first "smartphone," though the term was not yet coined. The phone was 15 years ahead of its time. Smartphones advanced, and in 2007, Apple introduced the iPhone, notable for its multi-touch interface and virtual keyboard.

That year, 2007, also happened to mark the first year that Americans sent and received more text messages per month than phone calls. Social media sites like Twitter adopted the short character format, which has likely helped the text message phenomenon — we've learned to be more concise and character-conscious.

Today, SMS is the most widely-used data application in the world, with 81% of mobile phone subscribers using it. And SMS has become more than just a way to text with friends — it also lets us receive updates and alerts, keep track of our finances, send email, and much more.

The section above was taken from Mashable on "The brief history of texting"

http://mashable.com/2012/09/21/text-messaging-history/#Nkt4yIye9aqI

NOTICE*** this is Geek, and it can be moved if need be. But I won't continue Geek here after this quote.

I true wish my texting was hands free. My car will pipe this text-to-speech at me, but will not take my dictation. Anybody have that right now? My only option is by voice command "Return Call". I'd rather dictate back. I'm sure someday that will be universal.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My take on the gas cap,
I just want it where my other cars have it. I always seem to forget which side is used on which car. Admittedly, after 5 years of ownership I'll probably get it right for the right car.
Having said that, it will be easier to go-over the back on the Elio than anything else with a cabin and more than two wheels.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My take on the gas cap,
I just want it where my other cars have it. I always seem to forget which side is used on which car. Admittedly, after 5 years of ownership I'll probably get it right for the right car.
Having said that, it will be easier to go-over the back on the Elio than anything else with a cabin and more than two wheels.
Plus with the gas cap on the right, you won't have to worry about getting to close to the pumps to get out, or hit the door in the island protector.
Just write yourself a note on the dash that says "Gas cap on other side Dummy!" so you don't look bad pulling up to the pump. :becky:

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plus with the gas cap on the right, you won't have to worry about getting to close to the pumps to get out, or hit the door in the island protector.
Just write yourself a note on the dash that says "Gas cap on other side Dummy!" so you don't look bad pulling up to the pump. :becky:
You do know most fuel gauges have an arrow indicating which side the filler door is on right. No notes needed, the car companies already know you're a dummy. :D

Top Bottom