• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Tracking Your Mileage?

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I let my Ford fiesta do the work anything above 40 mpg is good .The driver needs to reprogram his /her driving habits to obtain max fuel mileage .I've found drafting behind a greyhound bus really adds a huge amount to mpg reading .Before getting excited it's not like NASCAR drafting as you don't need to get that close to the bus to pick up a draft . (my best was 69mpg)
You may not have to but it sure makes it more fun ;)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use FuelLog to track my truck and Bike's mileage and the costs. I've been tracking mileage for about 30 years. It used to be true that one of the first things to tip you off to engine trouble is a drop in mileage. That is not necessarily the case any more but I like the app because I can go back and see what kind of mileage I was getting at any point.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 65 mile commute (130 round trip) and only one card lock gas station on the way, with no completion they don't even post their prices, you have to buy it there. My home and cars are paid for so the single largest monthly bill is may gas bill. I drive an '07 PT cruiser with 280,000 miles on the clock, it gets right at 24 mpg. I figured it out once that if I had bought an elio instead, I would have saved over $40,000 in gas alone plus every time I buy new tires I get a 25% discount as I only need three. Pretty good deal for a $7,000 investment. It'll pay for itself in no time. Just wish I had it now!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 65 mile commute (130 round trip) and only one card lock gas station on the way, with no completion they don't even post their prices, you have to buy it there. My home and cars are paid for so the single largest monthly bill is may gas bill. I drive an '07 PT cruiser with 280,000 miles on the clock, it gets right at 24 mpg. I figured it out once that if I had bought an elio instead, I would have saved over $40,000 in gas alone plus every time I buy new tires I get a 25% discount as I only need three. Pretty good deal for a $7,000 investment. It'll pay for itself in no time. Just wish I had it now!
I think this could have been written any time over the last 4 years. I've only been waiting since the end of February, but many have been waiting for much longer. But it's much easier to wait when you have a good primary vehicle than when you are replacing an aging one which might be on it's last legs.

Oops. I just noticed who I'm responding to. I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use FuelLog to track my truck and Bike's mileage and the costs. I've been tracking mileage for about 30 years. It used to be true that one of the first things to tip you off to engine trouble is a drop in mileage. That is not necessarily the case any more but I like the app because I can go back and see what kind of mileage I was getting at any point.
I use the same app. I even track the fuel I run thru the mower... $127 last year, should just buy a dang goat.

I can look and tell right away when the "winter blend" gas comes and goes, 2mpg gone.

My car's in dash readout is about 1 mpg high, the truck is within a tenth suprisingly.

NorCalPhil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I am purchasing an Elio is exactly because I starting tracking mileage and gas consumption in the first brand new car I purchased, 2001 Audi TT. At the time I could care less about the economics. I was still in college, working full time and put down a deposit for a car that wouldn't be delivered for nearly 2 years (sound familiar?).

My commute has changed fairly drastically over the years, ranging from 3 miles to 35, but in about a years time it will be jumping up to 60 miles one way. Working from home occasionally will be key, but having something economical with more than 2 wheels was important.

I'm still driving the TT and am looking forward to taking it out of the commute and into a pleasure trip only. until I get the Elio, but over 16 years of ownership are interesting. I've recorded every fill-up since I bought the car with 15 miles on it:
  • 249,041 miles
  • 1058 stops at a gas station, the great majority of them for a full tank
  • 21.5 MPG
  • $45,536.75 in gas (Thanks California premium gas). I paid $42k for the car! I'm not disclosing the amount I spent on modifications & maintenance...
Assuming the Elio could last for a quarter million miles, total expenditures would look slightly different. At least that's my hope. I'll then dump that money into restoring my 67 Mustang.

(How is this for a first post on the forums?)

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been doing it since I bought my Tacoma in 2004. It's been averaging 19.7mpg this year. It is only down a half mpg since I bought it. All my milage is around town.

Top Bottom