• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Tracking Your Mileage?

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kept a log on my dodge dakota. The new owner told me i must be streching the truth. They are getting a lot less milage. I told them with their driving habits they would never get my milage numbers.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I keep the data as it lets me see what effect small changes have on mileage... Number 1 or 2 diesel? No change in mileage... Change of tire brand? No change in mileage. 50,000 miles on the ODO? No change in mileage. You'd think there's no point but doing this has identified issues in the past that didn't show up as codes. As others have said, it's the definitive way to know if tire selection, fuel selection, or even dragging brakes is affecting your mileage. I asked a coworker what kind of mileage her Mini got and she said something like 250 miles a tank. I asked how many miles per gallon that was and she gave me a blank stare like "Why does that matter?". I said "I get 450 miles a tank. I guess my F-350 is more economical than your Mini." "No it isn't. My Mini gets a lot better mileage than that big truck." So, I said, in perfect playground language "How would you know?"

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep the data as it lets me see what effect small changes have on mileage... Number 1 or 2 diesel? No change in mileage... Change of tire brand? No change in mileage. 50,000 miles on the ODO? No change in mileage. You'd think there's no point but doing this has identified issues in the past that didn't show up as codes. As others have said, it's the definitive way to know if tire selection, fuel selection, or even dragging brakes is affecting your mileage. I asked a coworker what kind of mileage her Mini got and she said something like 250 miles a tank. I asked how many miles per gallon that was and she gave me a blank stare like "Why does that matter?". I said "I get 450 miles a tank. I guess my F-350 is more economical than your Mini." "No it isn't. My Mini gets a lot better mileage than that big truck." So, I said, in perfect playground language "How would you know?"
You'll have to ask her if she has the 5gal. or the 8gal tank.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you have excluded, and didn't account for-
atmospheric pressure
humidity
jet stream
elevation change
slipstreaming/drafting
roadway composition
the load(s) (aside from yourself)
window positions
HVAC hours
number of miles in reverse
( go easy... me smiling)

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question .....

Why do you do this?

I'm guessing you mean why do I track the data (fueling, maintenance, repairs) in general, as opposed to specifically why I use spreadsheets, or why I now also enter info at Fuelly, but feel free to clarify if my response doesn't answer your question.

Some reasons to track the data:

As encouragement to drive in a fuel efficient manner. Doing so reduces wasted fuel and therefore wasted money, and money is definitely a limited resource for my family (my wife is a stay-at-home Mom, we have two kids). My commute is about 80 miles round trip so fuel efficiency is not an insignificant thing for me.

To track past repairs and maintenance, and to indicate when future maintenance should be done based on miles traveled or on time elapsed.

As an indicator of potential vehicle problems that don't exhibit other obvious symptoms. Examples from our experience include a brake caliper that wasn't fully retracting, and (more than once) a thermostat that was no longer functioning optimally.

To see influence of vehicle changes (tires, maintenance & repairs, fuel brand, etc.) on fuel usage.

Why not? It takes very little time to note mileage on the receipt when filling up a vehicle, and then updating a spreadsheet with fueling and basic maintenance/repair data.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you have excluded, and didn't account for-
atmospheric pressure
humidity
jet stream
elevation change
slipstreaming/drafting
roadway composition
the load(s) (aside from yourself)
window positions
HVAC hours
number of miles in reverse
( go easy... me smiling)

Sun spot density
Gravametric distortion quotient
Earth tilt
Density altitude

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The trip to Madison WI and back to Campo Ca is history. (see page 4)
Hybridfest 2017 is over and the LRR, (Turboed 1liter 3cyl) logged 4744 miles at the speed limit or greater. AC ON most of the way so the MPG is not great, but good. Averaged out to 62.5 MPG for the trip.
Highest elevation east was 8100 ft, and west was 7275 ft.. (Different routes.)
Had a great time, but 7392 miles traveled within 30 days is getting harder and harder to do. (Old age ain't FUN).
Waiting for the ELIO..........still.
Willie

Top Bottom