• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Be Careful What You Wish For.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People wishing for more standard options, are like people on the other side imposing unwanted taxes on the people who can’t afford them. I just purchased a new 2013 Chevy Sonic, Chevy taxed me $2,000.00 for a $250.00 part. All I wanted was a basic form of transportation to go back and forth to work. The drive is all most an hour. In order for me to get cruse control, a $250.00 part, I had to pay for the next package up and get a bunch of crap I did not need or want even though all the cruse requirements were pre wired into package 1 except for the turn signal setup.

I hope at a minimum, they pre wire in some options so you can add on after you purchase the basic package and not force someone else to buy it.

I for one can’t do without curise, however I’m more than willing to add this on after I get it home. We may get all these options and changes at first, just to appease everyone. I’m 100% sure they are eating more of their profit margin now than they want to. This only means the price will go up for the ones behind us. Our kids. Their mission should be to design a highly upgradeable, extremely basic form of transportation at a fair price to company and customer both. JMO.

Last edited:

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I absolutely agree! I think it would be a refreshing change from the normal;horrible car buying experience. I absolutely hate the limited trim level options available on new cars that are currently sold in the market. Most everyone would like to add one or two options that fit there personal needs, but like you have to upgrade to the next trim level which gives you six more options that you don't want. Prewiring the car for the additional add ons would be great, then letting us add each additional option as we see fit. If they allowed this flexibility with the purchasing experience I think this would attract a whole other group of buyers to their product.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I absolutely agree! I think it would be a refreshing change from the normal;horrible car buying experience. I absolutely hate the limited trim level options available on new cars that are currently sold in the market. Most everyone would like to add one or two options that fit there personal needs, but like you have to upgrade to the next trim level which gives you six more options that you don't want. Prewiring the car for the additional add ons would be great, then letting us add each additional option as we see fit. If they allowed this flexibility with the purchasing experience I think this would attract a whole other group of buyers to their product.

It looks to me like a majority of the people ordering the Elio on this site are boomers. This generation has been around the block and know when they are being taken for a ride and will just tune out if they think they are. On the other hand, they are more capable than most of seeing the potential of a new product and are more likely to take advantage.

Birth class of 56.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks to me like a majority of the people ordering the Elio on this site are boomers. This generation has been around the block and know when they are being taken for a ride and will just tune out if they think they are. On the other hand, they are more capable than most of seeing the potential of a new product and are more likely to take advantage.

Birth class of 56.
It's unfortunate that you have to experience that cruise control install for $2,000. Almost all dealership charges more for any kind of service and car owners are generally afraid that they will void the warranty even if the job can be done more reasonably outside of the dealer so they will pay the price. The Elio Motor's way of upgrading should be a more pleasant experience (I hope) for the owner because it's a pick and choose your options so you only pay what you want.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Boomers? Is that like ""millenniums""---I would hate to taylor my purchase experience and option selection to that class of purchaser!! There are some informed buyers out here that would like certain optional equipment on board but still do want to pay for wiring for every gimmick desired by these folks!

barry

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
People wishing for more standard options, are like people on the other side imposing unwanted taxes on the people who can’t afford them. I just purchased a new 2013 Chevy Sonic, Chevy taxed me $2,000.00 for a $250.00 part. All I wanted was a basic form of transportation to go back and forth to work. The drive is all most an hour. In order for me to get cruse control, a $250.00 part, I had to pay for the next package up and get a bunch of crap I did not need or want even though all the cruse requirements were pre wired into package 1 except for the turn signal setup.

I hope at a minimum, they pre wire in some options so you can add on after you purchase the basic package and not force someone else to buy it.

I for one can’t do without curise, however I’m more than willing to add this on after I get it home. We may get all these options and changes at first, just to appease everyone. I’m 100% sure they are eating more of their profit margin now than they want to. This only means the price will go up for the ones behind us. Our kids. Their mission should be to design a highly upgradeable, extremely basic form of transportation at a fair price to company and customer both. JMO.

barry

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
People wishis what makes the ELng for more standard options, are like people on the other side imposing unwanted taxes on the people who can’t afford them. I just purchased a new 2013 Chevy Sonic, Chevy taxed me $2,000.00 for a $250.00 part. All I wanted was a basic form of transportation to go back and forth to work. The drive is all most an hour. In order for me to get cruse control, a $250.00 part, I had to pay for the next package up and get a bunch of crap I did not need or want even though all the cruse requirements were pre wired into package 1 except for the turn signal setup.

You are exactly right, simplicity and a retro feel along with a manual transmission is the attraction for me!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Birth class of 56.
Too old to be a Boomer.

Top Bottom