• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Cafe Credits / Standards

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can someone in the know, explain these to us? Not only what the standards are and how they relate to the Elio, but also how Elio makes money off of them and what they have to do with financing.

pault

Elio Fan
Reaction score
CAFE standards do not apply to motorcycles, so currently the Elio is not covered under it and would be unable to sell credits. Would take action in washington to change the rules for elio to get any benefit from being able to sell credits, which given washingtons state of disfunction I find unlikely.

This article from car and driver has a good explanation of how the standards work.
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-of-the-new-fuel-economy-regulations-feature

Information on credit trading.
http://www.theicct.org/credit-trading-us-cafe-standard

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just found this:

Mr. Elio further talked about CAFÉ Credits and Greenhouse Gas Credits. He stated that
TESLA breaks even on their cars and makes a profit on these credits. Mr. Elio then decided to run a
simulation of how much revenue these credits would generate. Elio Motors would generate $600 million
annually in sellable credits. The only issue is that the Elio does not qualify because by definition, it is
considered a motorcycle and not a car. Mr. Elio stated that they are currently working on changing the law
to define the Elio as a car, not a motorcycle to qualify for these credits. They are anticipating to have this
completed by the end of this year. He also stated that companies out there that are willing to pre-buy Elio
Motors’ CAFE Credits if the law is changed.

pault

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I worry this strategy could back fire. If they get it classified as car, then in comes all the regulations involved with such and out goes 1200 pounds and $6800. They really would need an "autocycle" category that lets them not have the added car safety regulations but be eligible for CAFE.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I worry this strategy could back fire. If they get it classified as car, then in comes all the regulations involved with such and out goes 1200 pounds and $6800. They really would need an "autocycle" category that lets them not have the added car safety regulations but be eligible for CAFE.
I agree. Classified as a motorcycle or an auto cycle, but marketed as a 'car replacement'. The point of the CAFE credits is to encourage manufacturers to put high mileage vehicles on the road and to take low mileage ones off. The Elio can do that in spades.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I agree with this assessment. Elio is able to exist partially because it falls in the cracks of government regulation. Get the government involved and you screw up everything. There goes the weight, the price and we have nothing to show for it except for a heavier, more expensive vehicle.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I know it's difficult for me, and sounds like most everyone is the same, to wrap our brain around the idea that Elio Motors can get all these laws changed to benefit EM. Yes, laws have been changed for helmets in some states and for needing a mc endorsement in a few states. But as has been stated in this thread, it's a slippery slope: we all kinda doubt that this vehicle can be considered a car for CAFE credits and a motorcycle for licensing and an autocycle for helmets and .... etc.

So yes, with a magic wand in my hand, I'd make a new classification called an autocycle, it's eligible for CAFE credits, you don't need a helmet, you don't need an mc endorsement, you can ride in the HOV lane, it's inexpensive to insure, you get season tickets to your favorite sports team, AND four free meals per month for a year at your favorite high-end restaurant. :D

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it's difficult for me, and sounds like most everyone is the same, to wrap our brain around the idea that Elio Motors can get all these laws changed to benefit EM. Yes, laws have been changed for helmets in some states and for needing a mc endorsement in a few states. But as has been stated in this thread, it's a slippery slope: we all kinda doubt that this vehicle can be considered a car for CAFE credits and a motorcycle for licensing and an autocycle for helmets and .... etc.

So yes, with a magic wand in my hand, I'd make a new classification called an autocycle, it's eligible for CAFE credits, you don't need a helmet, you don't need an mc endorsement, you can ride in the HOV lane, it's inexpensive to insure, you get season tickets to your favorite sports team, AND four free meals per month for a year at your favorite high-end restaurant. :D

Can I borrow your wand when you're done with it? I like the way it works.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with this assessment. Elio is able to exist partially because it falls in the cracks of government regulation. Get the government involved and you screw up everything. There goes the weight, the price and we have nothing to show for it except for a heavier, more expensive vehicle.
The government screws everything up? Good Local, State, and Federal government doing what it's supposed to do is the only reason you will see an Elio on the Highway. Hell, government is the only reason you have a highway!
Replace the freakin obstructionist politicians! and stop making general statements about how crappy government is but rather help to improve and make it work for the average guy........not the 1% of the wealthiest prople in this country.

Top Bottom