• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Cafe Credits / Standards

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I worry this strategy could back fire. If they get it classified as car, then in comes all the regulations involved with such and out goes 1200 pounds and $6800. They really would need an "autocycle" category that lets them not have the added car safety regulations but be eligible for CAFE.

The Elio is designed to pass car safety standards and has "an expected 5-star" crash-test safety rating, so why would it being classified as a car "backfire"? It already complies with those regulations if Paul is telling us the truth.

pault

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The Elio is designed to pass car safety standards and has "an expected 5-star" crash-test safety rating, so why would it being classified as a car "backfire"? It already complies with those regulations if Paul is telling us the truth.
Theres more to complying with car standards than just the safety rating. One example NHTSA recently issued a ruling requiring all cars to have backup cameras by 2018. Another all cars are required since 2007 to have tire pressure monitoring systems. Another, all trunks are required to have an interior release latch. Ferrari recently had to recall the 458 because the trunk interior release latch didnt work correctly.

Heres a listing, all 500+ of them http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. What would need to be added that isn't already included in the package as is? Therefore no increase in weight. As far as increase in price, anything and everything can affect that so I won't even go there. :-) Z

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Theres more to complying with car standards than just the safety rating. One example NHTSA recently issued a ruling requiring all cars to have backup cameras by 2018. Another all cars are required since 2007 to have tire pressure monitoring systems. Another, all trunks are required to have an interior release latch. Ferrari recently had to recall the 458 because the trunk interior release latch didnt work correctly.

Heres a listing, all 500+ of them http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/

I think EM has said that it is "trying to get the laws changed." We might assume that they are trying to classify the Elio as a "car" to get the "cafe credits". What "may" be closer to the truth, Is that EM is trying to get the "autocycle" designation "approved to be eligible" for cafe credits.
But EM is not relying on these credits, as their target is $2K profit on each one sold. my 2 cents

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those are all safety regulations. Why shouldn't the Elio already comply with those standards? I like a windshield wiper that works and lights that can be seen clearly by following vehicles.

I bet the Elio would only fail compliance on a tiny subset of those regulations based mostly on the narrow body and lack of one wheel if Paul is telling us the truth about safety. I think he is. I think that subset of regulations is what he wants to change.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio concept would have stopped in it's tracks if it had to meet MANDATORY Federal Auto Safety Standards. A very costly and time consuming process. Much easier to bring to production a motorcycle and voluntarily design and crash test to meet ANTICIPATED 5 star safety ratings. Irregardless, Elio will be the safest motorcycle or autocyle on the road.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In addition to all the 'made-up' environmental standards that are mandatory for cars but not MC's.
You may not be old enough to remember the thick smog that smothered many major cities in the 60's and 70's. That was mostly from vehicle emissions.

New motorcycles have mandatory "environmental" standards. They have had emissions limits since 1978.

The Elio will fall under Class III, Tier 2 emission standards, meaning the amount of raw hydrocarbons, nitrous oxides (NOx), and carbon monoxide (CO) will be limited. It also means that emissions components must be warranted for 5 years/30,000 miles. Paul Elio has already stated the Elio will incorporate a catalytic converter.
http://www.epa.gov/oms/standards/light-duty/motorcycles.htm

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You may not be old enough to remember the thick smog that smothered many major cities in the 60's and 70's. That was mostly from vehicle emissions.

New motorcycles have mandatory "environmental" standards. They have had emissions limits since 1978.

The Elio will fall under Class III, Tier 2 emission standards, meaning the amount of raw hydrocarbons, nitrous oxides (NOx), and carbon monoxide (CO) will be limited. It also means that emissions components must be warranted for 5 years/30,000 miles. Paul Elio has already stated the Elio will incorporate a catalytic converter.
http://www.epa.gov/oms/standards/light-duty/motorcycles.htm

Granted. And understood. But I also believe that vehicles are currently over regulated.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Granted. And understood. But I also believe that vehicles are currently over regulated.
Having spent my pre-teen and teen years in the 1950s in Los Angeles, I feel there is no such thing as over regulation of air quality. At almost 73 I am paying for that lousy air quality to this day. It is like I was a life time smoker and I have never smoked in my life. Well, I tried it once and realized it was highly over rated and hurt my lungs literally. I'm not into living with pain. I did that enough growing up and I was a musician who played the flute and bassoon. Breathing was painful - especially deep breathing. :-) Z

Top Bottom