• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Cafe Credits / Standards

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify this point. On Facebook Joel Sheltrown, Elios VP of Government Affairs, clarified the CAFE credit question by writing that this change in legal status would only apply to the CAFE standards and not to the vehicles NHTSA classification. It will still be a motorcycle to the NHTSA however auto-cycle type vehicles may be counted for CAFE credits. He said that there is a precedence for this as congress changed the rules for the ATVM loan program to allow three wheeled vehicles to qualify as 'Ultra Efficient Vehicles' even if they are not cars according to the NHTSA definition.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify this point. On Facebook Joel Sheltrown, Elios VP of Government Affairs, clarified the CAFE credit question by writing that this change in legal status would only apply to the CAFE standards and not to the vehicles NHTSA classification. It will still be a motorcycle to the NHTSA however auto-cycle type vehicles may be counted for CAFE credits. He said that there is a precedence for this as congress changed the rules for the ATVM loan program to allow three wheeled vehicles to qualify as 'Ultra Efficient Vehicles' even if they are not cars according to the NHTSA definition.
So, Goofy, are you saying that the three wheelers already qualify for CAFE?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having spent my pre-teen and teen years in the 1950s in Los Angeles, I feel there is no such thing as over regulation of air quality. At almost 73 I am paying for that lousy air quality to this day. It is like I was a life time smoker and I have never smoked in my life. Well, I tried it once and realized it was highly over rated and hurt my lungs literally. I'm not into living with pain. I did that enough growing up and I was a musician who played the flute and bassoon. Breathing was painful - especially deep breathing. :) Z
I get you Z. I do. But I still feel that the market ie people, will force their wishes on the industry, not the gov't forcing their wishes on the industry. But maybe that's naive.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
So, Goofy, are you saying that the three wheelers already qualify for CAFE?

Not yet, that is only what they intend to do. From what I understand they have found support but nothing will happen until the new congress is sworn in next year due to the current election cycle.

Elio Motors does actually expect to be able to get this passed for two reasons. The first reason is that this is a small change that will be tacked onto a larger bill and the bigger reason is that they expect to receive lobbying support from the major automaker who wishes to buy these credits.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not yet, that is only what they intend to do. From what I understand they have found support but nothing will happen until the new congress is sworn in next year due to the current election cycle.

Elio Motors does actually expect to be able to get this passed for two reasons. The first reason is that this is a small change that will be tacked onto a larger bill and the bigger reason is that they expect to receive lobbying support from the major automaker who wishes to buy these credits.

Goofyone - you have the incentives exactly right. The next round of CAFE cuts is coming soon and carmakers of all kinds are falling all over themselves to try to comply. The luxury brands may have the steepest uphill climb because their clientele likes power and power gains vary inversely to efficiency. Ergo worthless beasts like the BMW 328d which gets darn good mileage but is the Hyudai Accent of the BMW fleet. I seriously doubt the lux brands will perceive the Elio as stealing their market share - completely different buyers - but they'd dearly love cheap CAFE credits with which to cream their CAFE lattes. The only problem for Elio is that Congress is not terribly functional at the moment and so this isn't likely to happen super soon.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But if it's classified a car, what this topic is all about, to get the credits.
Per Goofyone's post above (#21)

:-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goofyone - you have the incentives exactly right. The next round of CAFE cuts is coming soon and carmakers of all kinds are falling all over themselves to try to comply. The luxury brands may have the steepest uphill climb because their clientele likes power and power gains vary inversely to efficiency. Ergo worthless beasts like the BMW 328d which gets darn good mileage but is the Hyudai Accent of the BMW fleet. I seriously doubt the lux brands will perceive the Elio as stealing their market share - completely different buyers - but they'd dearly love cheap CAFE credits with which to cream their CAFE lattes. The only problem for Elio is that Congress is not terribly functional at the moment and so this isn't likely to happen super soon.
I could force myself to drive the crappy BMW i8 with it's 76 MPGe rating............close enough to Elio's 84 MPG.
image.jpg

Top Bottom