• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Child Seats And Dog Cages?

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my forester I have a cage/divider panel in the back cargo area so that when Frank (my 92lb. GSD) needs a ride, he hops in and away we go!

Putting a child seat in is also pretty easy.

But I'm wondering how those would work in the Elio? Any ideas on putting a divider in so I don't have ass-breath, drool, and claws coming my way while driving? With how small the area is, I'd probably want to build a small platform with two legs up front to give him a larger/longer level surface he can sit/lay down on.

Also, will there be child seat anchors in the back and/or enough room (leg/body) to put the child and the booster seats back there?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there are standard attachments for a child seat in the back, and it should accept any popular car seat. There probably isn't a "cage" on the market just now, but when the Elio goes into full production, it won't be long before one of the "pet fence" manufacturers cuts one of his standard products into thirds to fit our vehicles. Too bad the back windows don't open, as sharing an open front window with a snorting and drooling Shepherd wouldn't be fun. :(

There are fabric panels available that attach to the headrest of the front seat and extend through the rear seat to keep claws and pet hair from your upholstery. Of course they are only made for standard cars like your Forester, but a little work with a tentmaker or sailmaker's shop has produced some nice results for a couple of my custom projects.

Fortunately, our current furball hates to ride in the car. She doesn't fetch either . . . I'm not sure she's a dog. o_O
FurballParty2sm.jpg

Last edited:

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my forester I have a cage/divider panel in the back cargo area so that when Frank (my 92lb. GSD) needs a ride, he hops in and away we go!

Putting a child seat in is also pretty easy.

But I'm wondering how those would work in the Elio? Any ideas on putting a divider in so I don't have ass-breath, drool, and claws coming my way while driving? With how small the area is, I'd probably want to build a small platform with two legs up front to give him a larger/longer level surface he can sit/lay down on.

Also, will there be child seat anchors in the back and/or enough room (leg/body) to put the child and the booster seats back there?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
I have seen somewhere it will have the Latch System hooks in the rear seat for car seats. Also a three point seatbelt when your child goes to a booster seat. As for driving a large dog around, you could lay down the rear seat. It would be a basically flat surface from the trunk space all the way to the back of the drivers seat.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thats a good point I didn't consider. As for the trunk space...for a GSD that would likely be a tail condom.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Found Latch verification in a Tech Talk from March. Copied and pasted:

The $6,800 base price of the Elio will feature a high-level of standard design features found in the interior of more expensive vehicles:
  • Air conditioning
  • Power windows and lock
  • AM/FM mp3 stereo with USB connection
  • Steering wheel mounted airbag, side curtain airbags
  • Console mounted shifter and park brake
  • Rear mounted LATCH system for securing in a child seat
  • 3-point safety belts for driver and passenger

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put Fido in a towable kennel trailer......taking care of breath, drool, and interior scratching claws and still have room for groceries and a kid.
View attachment 1048

Holy hell!! Frank would be claustrophobic with that and probably puke from the turbulence! Thanks for the pic though. Definitely and interesting concept!!

Also, I'm not a fan of towing any trailers with the Elio.

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found Latch verification in a Tech Talk from March. Copied and pasted:

The $6,800 base price of the Elio will feature a high-level of standard design features found in the interior of more expensive vehicles:

• Air conditioning
    • Power windows and lock
    • AM/FM mp3 stereo with USB connection
    • Steering wheel mounted airbag, side curtain airbags
    • Console mounted shifter and park brake
    • Rear mounted LATCH system for securing in a child seat
    • 3-point safety belts for driver and passenger

Cool, thanks!

What about the room/space though? My 3-year old's booster seat is pretty big. Just wondering what we have to work with in regard to his head/legs and maneuverability back there booster up 6" or so and pushed forward 4-6"?

Thanks

-Emt1581

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cool, thanks!

What about the room/space though? My 3-year old's booster seat is pretty big. Just wondering what we have to work with in regard to his head/legs and maneuverability back there booster up 6" or so and pushed forward 4-6"?

Thanks

-Emt1581
I knew I'd seen that info. before too. Keep in mind, the key word here is "prototype". All this could change. Copied and pasted from Elio's website:

Interior measurements are as follows:
Headroom: Driver 39.8 Passenger 36.4 in
Seat width: Driver 20.6 Passenger 25.3 in
Interior Shoulder Width: 26.8 in
Front seat Legroom: 42.7 in
Rear seat Legroom: 33.1 in

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew I'd seen that info. before too. Keep in mind, the key word here is "prototype". All this could change. Copied and pasted from Elio's website:

Interior measurements are as follows:
Headroom: Driver 39.8 Passenger 36.4 in
Seat width: Driver 20.6 Passenger 25.3 in
Interior Shoulder Width: 26.8 in
Front seat Legroom: 42.7 in
Rear seat Legroom: 33.1 in

I appreciate that info!!

That doesn't seem bad. Even putting a booster seat in there, it seems like there would be plenty of room for the head/legs and moving all appendages.

I'll definitely be taking my son and his seat with me when test driving though. It's not that a single passenger vehicle would be a problem. But I've already got a bike for that and if it won't hold my son and dog (one at a time)...it's pointless to spend the $8K (for the base model).

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Top Bottom