• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Child Seats And Dog Cages?

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope people realize that the Elio is NOT the answer to everyone's problems. It was designed as an affordable commuter vehicle that can also provide a new reliable vehicle that was previously unattainable for many. Accept the fact that it will not be all things for all people.

I have to totally agree. They were not meant to be station wagons. If my wife wants to take the dogs with her when she goes somewhere it will be in her Jimmy. I love the dogs but they are not riding on my bike or in my Elio. Heck I may not even let the wife in my Elio.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If those rear windows can be hinged, I wonder if they could be remote-controlled by the driver? One of our old vans used a cable to do this and it was simple and direct. I'm sure there are electric actuators that could do this too, but might be unnecessarily complex.

The idea is to be able to control airflow with the driver's and (well, the other driver's) windows down. In my Travelall and Suburbans you could play with the power tailgate window to select whether you wanted your hurricane from the side or rear. About an inch and a quarter opening of the tailgate window would achieve complete balance in the cabin, allowing you to run with the front windows wide open on a nice day without being buffeted by the breeze at highway speed. Always loved that hidden feature.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If those rear windows can be hinged, I wonder if they could be remote-controlled by the driver? One of our old vans used a cable to do this and it was simple and direct. I'm sure there are electric actuators that could do this too, but might be unnecessarily complex.

The idea is to be able to control airflow with the driver's and (well, the other driver's) windows down. In my Travelall and Suburbans you could play with the power tailgate window to select whether you wanted your hurricane from the side or rear. About an inch and a quarter opening of the tailgate window would achieve complete balance in the cabin, allowing you to run with the front windows wide open on a nice day without being buffeted by the breeze at highway speed. Always loved that hidden feature.
I'm all for your remote windows as long as you are the one that installed them.:rolleyes:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
and if they're not, I'll find out how to remove the "trunk" lid to allow for great thru wind. I'm hoping it's simple and quick so that I could rapidly reattach it in the event of rain.
Yeah, I'd previously thought about a "pull down" for the trunk lid like that rather feature of rather questionable utility on some luxury cars. If you could manually control that pull down actuator to vary the size of the trunk lid opening - maybe only an inch or two, it would work nicely. But if those windows open, much the better.

One thing about those swing-out windows though, my current beatervan has manually operated windows in the wayback, meaning that to adjust them (two-positions, open, closed) it's easier to get out, open the hatch, and operate them while standing outside. Which makes about as much sense in a rainstorm as the old British sportscars on which you had to assemble the top and sidecurtains while standing in a pouring rain.

Fortunately, like the sports cars of old, those windows don't funnel a whole lot of water inside - if you can maintain speed. Just look for an overpass with a broad shoulder. . . .

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd previously thought about a "pull down" for the trunk lid like that rather feature of rather questionable utility on some luxury cars. If you could manually control that pull down actuator to vary the size of the trunk lid opening - maybe only an inch or two, it would work nicely. But if those windows open, much the better.

One thing about those swing-out windows though, my current beatervan has manually operated windows in the wayback, meaning that to adjust them (two-positions, open, closed) it's easier to get out, open the hatch, and operate them while standing outside. Which makes about as much sense in a rainstorm as the old British sportscars on which you had to assemble the top and sidecurtains while standing in a pouring rain.

Fortunately, like the sports cars of old, those windows don't funnel a whole lot of water inside - if you can maintain speed. Just look for an overpass with a broad shoulder. . . .
Attach something like an inside child safety lock like the ones on kitchen cabinets.
It locks the hatch open about 2 inches letting air through but not letting the hatch bounce up and down.

Top Bottom