• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Child Seats And Dog Cages?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope people realize that the Elio is NOT the answer to everyone's problems. It was designed as an affordable commuter vehicle that can also provide a new reliable vehicle that was previously unattainable for many. Accept the fact that it will not be all things for all people.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope people realize that the Elio is NOT the answer to everyone's problems. It was designed as an affordable commuter vehicle that can also provide a new reliable vehicle that was previously unattainable for many. Accept the fact that it will not be all things for all people.

I agree. Hopefully people don't get carried away and try to bolt side-cars and nitrous on it.

However, I need versatility in my vehicles so that I can maximize their utility. Just part of the homework process to determine if/when I buy one. And I don't think carrying a dog or a child is unreasonable, especially since it comes with a fold down seat and child seat anchors.

-Emt1581

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see that a lot (not from the OP) but in a lot of other threads. They suggest adding all sorts of things including a 4th tire? The Elio is what it is and has very specific goals. And you are correct, it's not reasonable or feasable for everyone.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. Hopefully people don't get carried away and try to bolt side-cars and nitrous on it.

However, I need versatility in my vehicles so that I can maximize their utility. Just part of the homework process to determine if/when I buy one. And I don't think carrying a dog or a child is unreasonable, especially since it comes with a fold down seat and child seat anchors.

-Emt1581
Agree with your comments and appreciate that you are doing your "due diligence".

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that a lot (not from the OP) but in a lot of other threads. They suggest adding all sorts of things including a 4th tire? The Elio is what it is and has very specific goals. And you are correct, it's not reasonable or feasable for everyone.

I think it's a natural desire to adapt/customize anything new on the market to suit our needs. But with some things, like the Elio, there is a specific limit that is present to where the adaptations defeat the purpose of the vehicle.

Personally, I think the key is to look at it for commuting and then branch out to what else it can come in handy for without doing too much to it.

-Emt1581

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's a natural desire to adapt/customize anything new on the market to suit our needs. But with some things, like the Elio, there is a specific limit that is present to where the adaptations defeat the purpose of the vehicle.

Personally, I think the key is to look at it for commuting and then branch out to what else it can come in handy for without doing too much to it.

-Emt1581

Exactly right. Don't make it more than it is.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROFLMAO!!!
Perhaps the trunk lid could be removed and a mesh cage that could be bolted on. Or you could take the Romney family solution, strap the dog to the top of the car.

Frank would probably love that. Until my Sunfire did cartwheels down the highway last year he used to stand on the armrest and ride with his head out of the sunroof.

-Emt1581

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My dog has a harness that we use. It just runs through the factory seat belt that we buckle when we take him if we don't just let him lay down on the seat. In the Elio, I think it's ok to let your pet go usecured in the backseat as they can't put their head out the window, fly into the windshield if you stop short, or crawl on the floor where they can be near the pedals. Just my 0.2

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Too bad the back windows don't open,

FWIW: When I talked to the Elio folks they indicated that while the back windows don't open on the P4, they were going to be openable (is that a word) on the production car. Mind you, not in a "roll up/down" manner, but more like in the crack open/closed manner common in the back windows for mini vans.

Top Bottom