• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Closer Look At The E1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sigh, with all the revelry of losing some of the uniqueness of the elio, I hope people don't continue the trend and ultimately make this a 4 wheel behemoth with billions of gadgets that costs $60,000.

Said another way, I loved the quirkiness of the Elio and with every bit of quirkiness shaved off the Elio becomes closer and closer to the boring jellybeans that flood the market today. The 3 wheel and tandem seating config are the only things left to differentiate.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sigh, with all the revelry of losing some of the uniqueness of the elio, I hope people don't continue the trend and ultimately make this a 4 wheel behemoth with billions of gadgets that costs $60,000.

Said another way, I loved the quirkiness of the Elio and with every bit of quirkiness shaved off the Elio becomes closer and closer to the boring jellybeans that flood the market today. The 3 wheel and tandem seating config are the only things left to differentiate.
Like what kind of quirkiness? How is it getting bland?

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For years they have consistently said that it will the door lock remote.
It changes if you get the Skyz (maybe) to being able to open it with your smartphone; but if not it will either be on the key like Chrysler keys, or on a key chain FOB like all of the other cars on the market today.

I would still like to know if the door and trunk locks are power operated not just manual on the base car.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If quirkiness for it's own sake is what you want you can customize your Elio with square wheels.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score

IMG_7765.JPG

Joeker88

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well done Joe!
A few things that impressed me:
1: (Sounds like) the front wheel covers will be ONE PIECE, instead of having the flat black rear sections "removable"...So, 2 bolts will remove the entire shroud. This should simplify production & lower cost.
2) (Looks like) the windshield wiper assembly has been finished...looks good.
3) Good looking grill! I couldn't tell if it's "honeycomb" or "large holes", but looks professional.
4) The right side "insert" (red piece) looks to be more than just a flat piece of red plastic. It appears to be "contoured" and more "finished."
5) Seeing the Roush designed front suspension! (Roush doesn't waste their time on "loosers")
6) The front tires are the actual Conti's to be used for the production Elios. I can't remember the last time Continental designed and produced tires for a "SCAM." :boink: ( a little "jab" at the trolls)

Lots of good changes! a few steps closer. :clap2: :clap2:
So true

Joeker88

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that Joeker put him up to saying that just to get us to go crazy.
The filler has always been on the right through all the different changes and if I recall, we were always told it was an engineer design, and that it could only go on the right side. Same thing with the exhaust bulge, there wasn't enough clearance under the car to do it.

As for gas running down the side on to the exhaust, we had a long conversation on that already; the reality was, it's not a safety issue.
I totally did not put him up to say about the gas filler placement. What do I gain for having him say that?! He actually brought it up as you see from the video I was going to talk about something else then he brought it up. Guys I'm transparent. I don't put up videos to stir stuff up. I'm not employed by Elio to spread rumors. I just report things as I see it. If you watch different videos on my channel I just love cars, my hobbies, motorcycles. So that's what I was told that's what I showed. If any of you have contact with other employees from Elio please let me know. Happy Thanksgiving every one. Thanks for your support.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally did not put him up to say about the gas filler placement. What do I gain for having him say that?! He actually brought it up as you see from the video I was going to talk about something else then he brought it up. Guys I'm transparent. I don't put up videos to stir stuff up. I'm not employed by Elio to spread rumors. I just report things as I see it. If you watch different videos on my channel I just love cars, my hobbies, motorcycles. So that's what I was told that's what I showed. If any of you have contact with other employees from Elio please let me know. Happy Thanksgiving every one. Thanks for your support.
Chill Joeker it was not said to discredit you or Jermain; If you noticed what I said after "....just to drive us crazy.."
Which side of the vehicle has been a topic for discussion since the day this board started and has gotten to the point that any talk about it is in fun, just like the color we do not discuss because y (the color that rhymes with mellow) has been gone over so many times.
Ok?

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like what kind of quirkiness? How is it getting bland?

The elgin dash was definitely quirky and I think befitting of such a unique vehicle. The bulge was a unique artifact of having to meet engineering issues and to me reflects the true beauty that lies in balancing form and function. Luckily the elio still has the unique 3 wheels and tandem seating but as attractive as those are to me they are things that much of the buying public has not yet fully embraced.

Some very vocal people have voiced their displeasure with these quirky issues and that is fine; the reality is that engineering issues changed so that the bulge can disappear and likely costs have caused the elgin to go the way of the dodo. When we look at the E1C what we see is a "normal" instrument cluster and normalized outside; in essence, the elio is moving more mainstream.

What I fear is that as the elio moves more mainstream that people will continue to compare it to vehicles that cost 3x or more than the elio. As the elio normalizes, price, followed by milage remain the most significant differentiators. So what does that mean in the long run?

Well, we know that EM sucked it up and put cruise control in as a standard option but that is also likely part of why the price went up. Watch the comments of frackbook, and even here, and you will see many comments about how the elio MUST HAVE feature XYZ but dang it don't you dare increase the price or delay delivery.

So the reality is that as a quirky vehicle the elio has less direct competition. As the elio loses its quirkiness and becomes more mainstream it starts to have more head on competition. If in order to compete EM has to add additional standard features, or simply make features available as options, the elio will eventually cost what it's 4 wheel competitors cost. The elio still edges out the competition mileage wise but gas continues to be cheap and for not too little additional gas costs the owner can seat more people than they would in the elio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom