• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Commitment Details

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes.
Commitment gives you a fixed price of $7,000
Your $1K deposit + $500 (50%) bonus is still in place
If you were an early adopter, there was an additional bonus they gave based on when you went All In.

Commitment does not change any previous bonuses you received.

Thank you for the clarification.

-sterling

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does Ohio have a "dealership association" complaining about direct sales and the fact that they will have no place in the food chain? That's what kept Tesla from selling in CT until recently.
Yes, and it's very unfortunate. In early summer, 2014 Tesla negotiated a deal with the OH state legislature: Tesla would be permitted to have 3 factory-owned display / sales centers in Ohio, but after a certain time (a matter of weeks), no other factory-owned direct distribution centers of any motor vehicle would be permitted in the state.

There is no "motor cycle loophole" because the state law, which I've read in its entirety, applies the no-factory-sales-outlets provision to all motor vehicles (excluding tractors, snowmobiles, and mopeds), specifically including motorcycles. There is as yet no autocycle law in Ohio.

This revised law may or may not be being enforced for motorcycles, but officially, it means no direct Elio sales unless federal auto cycle legislation comes to pass, trumping Ohio law, or until the Ohio legislators come to their senses (which they haven't done since about 1936). I plan on picking my Elio up in KY or Shreveport, and am leaning towards Shreveport.

PS -- If Elio puts a distribution center in lexington or Louisville, I'll skip the trip to Shreveport. Get the wife to drive me down, and I'll drive my new baby home from there. 2 hours to Louisville, 1.5 to Lexington for me.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, and it's very unfortunate. In early summer, 2014 Tesla negotiated a deal with the OH state legislature: Tesla would be permitted to have 3 factory-owned display / sales centers in Ohio, but after a certain time (a matter of weeks), no other factory-owned direct distribution centers of any motor vehicle would be permitted in the state.

There is no "motor cycle loophole" because the state law, which I've read in its entirety, applies the no-factory-sales-outlets provision to all motor vehicles (excluding tractors, snowmobiles, and mopeds), specifically including motorcycles. There is as yet no autocycle law in Ohio.

This revised law may or may not be being enforced for motorcycles, but officially, it means no direct Elio sales unless federal auto cycle legislation comes to pass, trumping Ohio law, or until the Ohio legislators come to their senses (which they haven't done since about 1936). I plan on picking my Elio up in KY or Shreveport, and am leaning towards Shreveport.

PS -- If Elio puts a distribution center in lexington or Louisville, I'll skip the trip to Shreveport. Get the wife to drive me down, and I'll drive my new baby home from there. 2 hours to Louisville, 1.5 to Lexington for me.
The argument is that the current four-tier system (Manufacturer, Distributor, Dealership, Customer) makes sure that service is available and protects consumers against "unscrupulous" sellers of low-quality vehicles. At least, that's what the state dealer association argued before the legislature -- and they bought this loaf of baloney. Hah!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So... Other than the extra cost...
What would be wrong with buying it online and having it delivered to your driveway in Ohio?
It will be very interesting to see how EM handles "group" deliveries in free states anyway...
Since they've already said that they will not have their outlets set up in time...
For the production and delivery of the 65,000 reservations.

Pep Boys? Or will they just pick a bunch of parking lots and hope that the owners don't mind?

Theories?
The chief problem will be titling the car. Cars aren't like cartons of toilet paper, which Amazon can ship to your door, collecting sales tax when you buy online. Right now, I can buy a car in KY (where there's no sales tax), then transfer the title to OH by paying the fee plus the sales tax. But since Elio will have no presence in the state, they can't provide a temporary title as dealers in KY now do. (I don't know about other bordering states, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia); but folks from Cinci buy cars in KY all the time. EM they will surely be able to issue titles in Shreveport -- I don't know how the sales tax issue is handled between AL and OH, but I'm sure that gets resolved. And they will be able to issue KY titles (temporary) via their distribution centers there. It's a murky area, and I'm sure they'll have it all squeaky clean when the time comes.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not fluent in Legalese, so please forgive. Can someone with more Literary Limbo verify the below?

Is the $300 on top of the "All In" Bonus (in my case $500)?. ...or are we signing this away to give Elio a "Commitment" and get $300?

Put another way... Do we still get the $500 "All In" Bonus if we sign the Commitment?

-sterling
Yes

Earl LaSitis

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I ask that question when I went all in. About picking the car up at the factory and getting a tour of them in production. The person representing Eilo said that was a possibility. Has any one else heard this? .

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The chief problem will be titling the car. Cars aren't like cartons of toilet paper, which Amazon can ship to your door, collecting sales tax when you buy online. Right now, I can buy a car in KY (where there's no sales tax), then transfer the title to OH by paying the fee plus the sales tax. But since Elio will have no presence in the state, they can't provide a temporary title as dealers in KY now do. (I don't know about other bordering states, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia); but folks from Cinci buy cars in KY all the time. EM they will surely be able to issue titles in Shreveport -- I don't know how the sales tax issue is handled between AL and OH, but I'm sure that gets resolved. And they will be able to issue KY titles (temporary) via their distribution centers there. It's a murky area, and I'm sure they'll have it all squeaky clean when the time comes.
I see.

I once bought a car from a private owner in Ohio.
I can't remember exactly, but either a notary or O-DOT made it so I had a temporary registration...
(might have been the notated existing OH title) and temporary plates to bring it into PA.
I had a limited amount of time to get to a PA notary to change it all over.
The catch was that the PA notary had to physically see the vehicle...
To match the VIN #s before they could register it in PA.
So I actually had to bring the vehicle to the AAA lot.

I seem to remember that I had to physically be there in Ohio to sign.
What do people do who buy a vehicle from someone clear across the country...
When they can't travel to that state but instead have the vehicle transported to them?

Online car auctions and Ebay for example.

After all, it's only illegal for EM to set up shop in Ohio and make the actual sales there.
It's not illegal for Buckeyes to buy or own a Elio.

I'm thinking that there's probably a way around this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom