• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Commuters

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My commute is about 25 miles each way, but any other trips are usually in the 60-150 mile-each-way catergory. As many of you know I'm kind of EV obsessed, and will probably buy a second one for my work commute next year (wife drives the Leaf most of the time). But for all the driving that is beyond the range of EVs, we need a gas car that is cheap to run. For the mean time that will be our 2002 PT Cruiser; which, at 22mpg is not cheap to operate, but I bought it at a steal so the purchase price factors in. But it will eventually break down beyond repair, and the Elio will be cheaper to insure anyways, so when the Elio arrives we'll sell off the PT Cruiser while it still retains some resale value.

Thus, the Elio will be an "and" car :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps interesting to see where we fall into the typical Commute Distance Chart. It seems as though EVs may meet the commuting needs of the vast majority of American commuters with an Elio or primary family ICE on standby as a range extender.

IMG_1432.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to think LA was the worst traffic in the US. Just spent 9 weeks in Houston, TX. As far as I'm concerned Houston now hold that title. It took me 63 minutes to go 6.3 miles during rush hour and that was without any accidents
I used to say that "bumper to bumper was a tight as you could pack em' and the name of the city did not matter. However, that was before I tried to drive in Bangkok. Bangkok they do it bumper to bumper and handle bar to handle bar. Just before the light changes, everyone in front and behind and side to side moves forward. You have to find an intersection with a patrolman to facilitate a lane change or turn. Then while you are totally stressed, you have to remember to turn into the left lane. I hired a driver on the first day. Dallas and LA were a country drive after Bangkok.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chaz, which ship? A good friend's son was on the Storis...
I was on The CGC Sherman, we ended up circumnavigating the world in 2001. We went on a WestPac and kept going west. We left in January and got back in July. That year I think I ended up with about 250 days underway. Most of the time we went to the Bering Sea and lovely Dutch Harbour. Our normal patrol was about 90 days and then 2 or 3 months in port and then back out again.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Phew! That's a damn long voyage! How badly were people getting on each other's nerves by the end??

My friend's son mustered out at Dutch Harbor, and hung out for a couple of weeks before heading home to Texas. Randy was half terrified that Seth would take a job on a crab boat, but that didn’t come to pass. He eventually started climbing the license ladder, and is now master on a NOAA research vessel. I'm pretty sure that your time frame would have overlapped with Seth's time on board.

On another note, I am closing out 41 years and 8 renewals of my engineers license tonight, I go home tomorrow, and it's no more boats after that. Retirement has arrived.

Last edited:
Top Bottom