• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Commuters

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
..........On another note, I am closing out 41 years and 8 renewals of my engineers license tonight, I go home tomorrow, and it's no more boats after that. Retirement has arrived.
Good for you, sounds like it is time for a well earned break.
It took me 2 of the 3 years of being retired to realized "Hey! I'm really retired!"

Paul DeCrans

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
When I reserved my Elio I was putting over 1,000+ miles a week on my car for work and all but 90 of those miles I was getting reimbursed by my employer to the tune of .55 per mile so I was hoping that an Elio was going to be a big money maker for me :(. I have since changed positions(got sick of Driving in ND winters) and am lucky to hit 100miles per week

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to commute from Petaluma in the North Bay to Alameda. When I was in the Coast Guard it was 56 miles each way. It was not too bad I was on a ship and was out to sea about 200 days a year.
I commuted for two years from Travis AFB to the Presidio of San Francisco. An hour on the best day and up to four hours on the worst day.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps interesting to see where we fall into the typical Commute Distance Chart. It seems as though EVs may meet the commuting needs of the vast majority of American commuters with an Elio or primary family ICE on standby as a range extender.

View attachment 12000
When I lived in Sacramento (12 years) my commute was 39 miles each way every day.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I lived in Sacramento (12 years) my commute was 39 miles each way every day.
I can't imagine a daily commute that distance for a long period of time. I would have to move closer to work. :)

Back in my college days, I did a 60 mile commute to a factory night shift job and 60 miles back for morning for classes. It's a wonder my GPA suffered. In retirement I'm lucky to get up and commute 2 miles to the Biker Club breakfast.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no option for zero distance. I telecommute.
What a lot of people don't realize is how hard working from home really is; it takes a very different mind set to keep focused that you may be at home, but your aren't; your at work. (if that is hard to understand on it's own).
When I first started working at home my wife called me for help with something; when I didn't respond in a time frame she thought was acceptable; she came into my office and started to read me the riot act; I listened; and when she was done I said "if I was down at the site, would you have called and said get home so I can help you?"
Her answer, "no, it wasn't that important".
Me: "then don't expect me just because I'm here; I'm working, and I'm busy and don't let the door knob hit you in the butt on the way out of my office"
She was PO'd but it did hit home with her a few minutes later; just because you're at home, you have to separate yourself from what goes on at home; otherwise you'll never get anything done.
The real down side is, you end up working more hours because you are at home, and there is no time to get out of the work frame of mind, and back into real life. (I worked IT so distance to client was never an issue for me).

Top Bottom