• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Commuters

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I commuted for two years from Travis AFB to the Presidio of San Francisco. An hour on the best day and up to four hours on the worst day.
Drove once a week from Beale AFB past Travis to Walnut Creek for school in the evenings. Was always a decent cruise (1.5-2hrs), but watching the traffic going the opposite way always made my head hurt.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good for you, sounds like it is time for a well earned break.
It took me 2 of the 3 years of being retired to realized "Hey! I'm really retired!"

Coss, I don't think it will take that long. I worked either a 28 on 28 off or a 21 on 21 off work cycle for decades, so I'm pretty sure that when January Fourth rolls around and I'm not on the road to that floating scrap heap, the realization will be like getting a ton of bricks dropped on you. Might need a little help from Mr. Evan Williams to get past that! :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What a lot of people don't realize is how hard working from home really is; it takes a very different mind set to keep focused that you may be at home, but your aren't; your at work. (if that is hard to understand on it's own).
When I first started working at home my wife called me for help with something; when I didn't respond in a time frame she thought was acceptable; she came into my office and started to read me the riot act; I listened; and when she was done I said "if I was down at the site, would you have called and said get home so I can help you?"
Her answer, "no, it wasn't that important".
Me: "then don't expect me just because I'm here; I'm working, and I'm busy and don't let the door knob hit you in the butt on the way out of my office"
She was PO'd but it did hit home with her a few minutes later; just because you're at home, you have to separate yourself from what goes on at home; otherwise you'll never get anything done.
The real down side is, you end up working more hours because you are at home, and there is no time to get out of the work frame of mind, and back into real life. (I worked IT so distance to client was never an issue for me).
I'll bet it would be hard to separate work from home. I don't think I'd be very good at that.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll bet it would be hard to separate work from home. I don't think I'd be very good at that.
I've read lots of stories from various people who have developed tricks to making it work. People use things like a dedicated room and computer that are only used for work, and even leaving the house to walk around the block to "go to work" and then walking the block the other direction to "go home". For the few weeks that I have worked full days at home, I used a separate desk and computer in the basement. My wife made sure that she and the kids did not interrupt me at all, except for lunch.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until three weeks ago, my commute was 331 feet...from our place to my dad's where I was his primary caregiver for the last 10 months. I did that several times a day. I was also his chauffeur and financial fiduciary w my wife doing the books and serving as the personal chef. 100 hour weeks w hired or family substitute caregivers twice a week for 9 hours each, and a week or so off each quarter. It had it's stresses since I had no background in such but glad I could do this. (Previously VP, Compliance at small, local financial institution. Prior, was head of safety and security at a Wisconsin-based airline. Pretty different gigs.) He passed away a month ago.
Early in my airline career (1980-3), I commuted from Redlands CA to LAX, I-10, 82.5 mi each way, weekdays. Ugly. Took a real toal. And went thru cars like drinking water. CHP didn't have radar so got real good at watching the onramps where they'd try to merge into your blind spot while clocking you. Winter was trickier darkness. Got good at learning the front lighting configuration on CHP cars. The only ticket was when one had a park light out. I was sure it wasn't a CHP ...and told him so! He agreed it was out as he sent me to traffic school! I started to realize I was spending more time watching the rear view mirror than looking forward and the commute was killing me, albeit slowly. I was blessed to have that airline go belly up and i moved to Alaska. After that, commutes were usually <10 mi. Now I expect to mostly work from home base: Drone pilot, FI compliance audits, chaplain, legal researcher, training event management, senior care consultation/ coordination, voice over audio recording, small business/ nonprofit org mgmt.
We love our '08 Mazda 5. Owned some minivans: AWD Aerostar, Kia Sedona. Have a string bass so need enough space. The 5 is perfect...three rows...can seat 4 w bass. But Mazda quit making 'em. Wanna quit putting miles on it at 95k. The Elio will be a great And. And moving up from 25mpg to 50-75!

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until three weeks ago, my commute was 331 feet...from our place to my dad's where I was his primary caregiver for the last 10 months. I did that several times a day. I was also his chauffeur and financial fiduciary w my wife doing the books and serving as the personal chef. 100 hour weeks w hired or family substitute caregivers twice a week for 9 hours each, and a week or so off each quarter. It had it's stresses since I had no background in such but glad I could do this. (Previously VP, Compliance at small, local financial institution. Prior, was head of safety and security at a Wisconsin-based airline. Pretty different gigs.) He passed away a month ago.
Early in my airline career (1980-3), I commuted from Redlands CA to LAX, I-10, 82.5 mi each way, weekdays. Ugly. Took a real toal. And went thru cars like drinking water. CHP didn't have radar so got real good at watching the onramps where they'd try to merge into your blind spot while clocking you. Winter was trickier darkness. Got good at learning the front lighting configuration on CHP cars. The only ticket was when one had a park light out. I was sure it wasn't a CHP ...and told him so! He agreed it was out as he sent me to traffic school! I started to realize I was spending more time watching the rear view mirror than looking forward and the commute was killing me, albeit slowly. I was blessed to have that airline go belly up and i moved to Alaska. After that, commutes were usually <10 mi. Now I expect to mostly work from home base: Drone pilot, FI compliance audits, chaplain, legal researcher, training event management, senior care consultation/ coordination, voice over audio recording, small business/ nonprofit org mgmt.
We love our '08 Mazda 5. Owned some minivans: AWD Aerostar, Kia Sedona. Have a string bass so need enough space. The 5 is perfect...three rows...can seat 4 w bass. But Mazda quit making 'em. Wanna quit putting miles on it at 95k. The Elio will be a great And. And moving up from 25mpg to 50-75!

We had a Mazda5 until my wife totaled it. I'm 6'2" and couldn't sit comfortably in any seat. Keep in mind, this is from somebody who drives a Fiat 500 daily. The Mazda did have a nice sporty drive, though.

The wife now has a new Kia Sedona... really nice minivan so far -- apparently light years away from the first and second generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss, I don't think it will take that long. I worked either a 28 on 28 off or a 21 on 21 off work cycle for decades, so I'm pretty sure that when January Fourth rolls around and I'm not on the road to that floating scrap heap, the realization will be like getting a ton of bricks dropped on you. Might need a little help from Mr. Evan Williams to get past that! :D

Bilgerat - "I was just out riding my bike minding my own business and realized it was January 4th!"

TonofBricks.jpg

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wife's grandma (that we now live with) is 84 years old. The day after thanksgiving she fractured her ankle. She relies on us to go to the restroom and help her with daily activities. I take care of her when I am at home and my wife takes over while I'm at work. it is a very stressful situation. My hat is off to you sir. I am sure your father was very appreciative, and you definitely have my respect for taking on the task. I am sorry to hear of your loss. You are a special breed of person in my book.

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

Condolences on your loss.

I empathize with the stresses of such a situation, as both of my parents moved in with us early this year. Dad is a WWII vet with some dementia (he usually knows who we are and where he is) and thankfully he can still get around the house slowly using a cane. Mom is blind and bed-bound with a progressive neurological disease similar to Parkinson's; she's on hospice. There is some help through hospice and we have a paid caregiver usually twice a week so my wife can have some time out of the house, run errands, etc.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Condolences on your loss.

I empathize with the stresses of such a situation, as both of my parents moved in with us early this year. Dad is a WWII vet with some dementia (he usually knows who we are and where he is) and thankfully he can still get around the house slowly using a cane. Mom is blind and bed-bound with a progressive neurological disease similar to Parkinson's; she's on hospice. There is some help through hospice and we have a paid caregiver usually twice a week so my wife can have some time out of the house, run errands, etc.

I am married to a Thai woman. Although Thailand has National Health Care, the care of the elderly in Thailand is performed by the family. This is the norm that the US can expect as Medicaid gets more expensive and Medicare provides less coverage and benefits. I believe that you and your wife are part of the first wave of such caregivers and changes. I have no doubt that my wife will care for me as I age and this will enable me to preserve my assets for my family as opposed to selling off assets to qualify for Medicare, Hospice, long-term care, etc. Asset protection is an important point in my present planning.

All of us in the forum can empathize with your situation. Our age group is predominately 60+. That is why I am suggesting that we can all benefit from supporting you and learning from your experiences. I will be reading your posts to help me anticipate what may be coming to each of us.
Thoughts and Prayers,
Frim

Top Bottom