• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Continental Kit For The Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How much does a spare add to the cost? Plus the mounting hdw? I believe I would prefer a can of Fix-a-flat and drive to the next tire repair facility, which I would need anyway. Let's don't overthink this for the base model.:yo:
fix a flat is wonderful... unless the flat occurs while driving. I say that because if you are driving, it is highly likely that your tire will shred itself and thus your fix a flat won't do anything.

Now, a spare tire would cost not too much but there just isn't anywhere good to keep one... maybe your garage back home where you'd have to call for help. But, I digress.

Hey, in the interest of well, numbers, I've crunched them. The Elio front tires at 135/80 R15 and the rear tire at 175/65 R15 are almost the same diameter... almost.

Front: 135 millimeters wide changed to inches is 5.315 inches. The profile 80 means that the tire is 80% as tall as it is wide... 5.315" X .80 = 4.252" Now, that's the measurement from the road to the rim. The rim is 15"... So, 4.252" + 15" + 4.252 = 23.504" outside diameter . Now, the rear... I'll save the explanations. 17.5cm=6.88976" ... 6.88976" x .65 = 4.47835"... 4.478" + 4.478" + 15" = 23.956" = 24" outside diameter.

So, with a diameter that is off by 1/2 inch, if you have to carry a spare, make it one of the front ones. They are smaller, lighter, and it won't affect much putting one on the back long enough to be able to repair/replace the bad one.

I was going to figure out the percentage smaller so I'd know how off the speedometer would be till I realized that will run off the transmission and the front tires.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1/2" difference causes over a 1mph difference in reading ?
Maybe. It wouldn't on the Elio if you are talking about the rear tire because it isn't used for anything. It could be a 6" little tire and the Elio would still be dead on right. But, if you changed a front tire -- Well, all bets are off.

Lynn D

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please take a serious look at the post Quoted. I did a little research and this is a great tire. The inter-lay material is positioned and weighted so balance of the tire is not effected as the goo sealer that is injected into the stem. I have ask EM to place this on the options available list from the contracted supplier of the tires.
We don't need no stinkin fix-a-flat or spares, guess who ?
I read a little bit about run flat tires. Do not like some of the cons.
http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/extended-mobility-main/contiseal

I decided to ask ELIO about Contiseal. It's in the mail.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
fix a flat is wonderful... unless the flat occurs while driving. I say that because if you are driving, it is highly likely that your tire will shred itself and thus your fix a flat won't do anything.

Now, a spare tire would cost not too much but there just isn't anywhere good to keep one... maybe your garage back home where you'd have to call for help. But, I digress.

Hey, in the interest of well, numbers, I've crunched them. The Elio front tires at 135/80 R15 and the rear tire at 175/65 R15 are almost the same diameter... almost.

Front: 135 millimeters wide changed to inches is 5.315 inches. The profile 80 means that the tire is 80% as tall as it is wide... 5.315" X .80 = 4.252" Now, that's the measurement from the road to the rim. The rim is 15"... So, 4.252" + 15" + 4.252 = 23.504" outside diameter . Now, the rear... I'll save the explanations. 17.5cm=6.88976" ... 6.88976" x .65 = 4.47835"... 4.478" + 4.478" + 15" = 23.956" = 24" outside diameter.

So, with a diameter that is off by 1/2 inch, if you have to carry a spare, make it one of the front ones. They are smaller, lighter, and it won't affect much putting one on the back long enough to be able to repair/replace the bad one.

I was going to figure out the percentage smaller so I'd know how off the speedometer would be till I realized that will run off the transmission and the front tires.

Outstanding post!!

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll just carry this and the inflator as I do now in my smart :D

319ayvbiStL.jpg

And my credit card of course :p

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please take a serious look at the post Quoted. I did a little research and this is a great tire. The inter-lay material is positioned and weighted so balance of the tire is not effected as the goo sealer that is injected into the stem. I have ask EM to place this on the options available list from the contracted supplier of the tires.
I do not understand. Are you talking about Contiseal ?
I do not ask ELIO to do things. If I see something that might be doable and I think it worthwhile, I sometimes point out my interest to them. I figured since Continental is the tire supplier, they might find a Contiseal upgrade worth the cost, hopefully negotiated to be minimal, to make customers happier, safer, and potential buyers more interested.
I read a 2009 article that Continental charged $50 more for contiseal, yikes. If it was $5.00 a tire ELIO might make it standard equipment, If it was $20.00 a tire and offered, I would get it as an option.

Tyre seals when punctured- Car News | CarsGuide

Last edited:

nb2Mitch

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Here is my tire question, whille the rear tire seems to be a common size and allot of options, the front tire doesn't seem to have much choice and the one that is available is very expensive and is listed as a temporary tire.

Who is making the tire for Elio? I assume more options may become available after the car hits the road, but it would be nice if it used a more standard size tire.

Front:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=135/&ratio=80&diameter=15

Rear:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=175/&ratio=65&diameter=15

Top Bottom