• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Copycats??

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, IF the big 3 wanted in .... I'm sure Paul would sell :rolleyes:
Money does have a way of getting your attention. I'm really not 100% sure Paul would sell. He has put himself out there with the Elio and if he sold he would go down in history as JUST ONE OF THE SAME OLD POS'S as some of the others. I think he wants to make a statement and be respected for it. Selling won't get either one.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Money does have a way of getting your attention. I'm really not 100% sure Paul would sell. He has put himself out there with the Elio and if he sold he would go down in history as JUST ONE OF THE SAME OLD POS'S as some of the others. I think he wants to make a statement and be respected for it. Selling won't get either one.
I agree with Wayne!!! Circle the day in RED!!

and the there was much rejoicing...

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any would-be competitor is going to be far behind at this point, but that doesn't mean the Chinese won't bring out a cheap competitor.

If a Chinese trike appears, it would probably follow the model of those scooters that seem to be based on the Dixie Cup concept - use it once, throw it away,

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The part NOT to overlook with chinese manufacturing is that companies from North America and Europe and Japan are sending their entire production processes to China by the ship-load. With that goes their advanced equipment, technologies, experts, experience, and ALL control over security. The Chinese are producing better quality every day in so far as it suits the bottom line, so don't underestimate. Japan produced complete CRAP for decades after the war, and now we see them as the gold standard for quality and innovation. Korea is in the midst of the same transformation with Hyundai, Kia, Samsung, LG and many other top companies that represent EXELLENT quality on par with most anything else on the market. And that's nothing that China can't do too. All the companies that only want to use China as a source of cheap labor are going to be shocked when they find out they've created their own giant competition with a homeland market of 1.35 billion customers to build capitol from.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The part NOT to overlook with chinese manufacturing is that companies from North America and Europe and Japan are sending their entire production processes to China by the ship-load. With that goes their advanced equipment, technologies, experts, experience, and ALL control over security. The Chinese are producing better quality every day in so far as it suits the bottom line, so don't underestimate. Japan produced complete CRAP for decades after the war, and now we see them as the gold standard for quality and innovation. Korea is in the midst of the same transformation with Hyundai, Kia, Samsung, LG and many other top companies that represent EXELLENT quality on par with most anything else on the market. And that's nothing that China can't do too. All the companies that only want to use China as a source of cheap labor are going to be shocked when they find out they've created their own giant competition with a homeland market of 1.35 billion customers to build capitol from.
Funny you mention LG. They called themselves Goldstar under the LG umbrella in the 80's, if you're old enough to remember that(which most of us are.:(). Wasn't really known for high quality back then. More like, low quality, huge boom boxes with lots of lights. They have become an electronics leader these days, so your point is well taken.:cool:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That reminds me of the China scooters that have been (trying to) compete with the ultra-reliable Japanese brands. They grab the uneducated, "price is the only thing" folks. I used to be one of them. When I was looking to buy a scooter, I admit to being enticed by the lure of "brand new AND cheap. Then I started watching "craigslist" and noticing how many Japanese scooters, with 10K miles (or more) and still running...compared with, China brands...1 year old, 2K miles & NOT running! It didn't take long to "see a pattern". I ended up buying a 15 year old Honda Helix with 18K miles. Enjoyed it for 2 "trouble-free" years, put 12K miles on it AND sold it for more than I paid for it!
EM is working sooo hard to establish themselves as a Quality product. Looking at the "long term" goals...They will do fine :).
Chinese scooters are undoubtedly of inferior quality to Hondas, and Vespas, BUT those guys have priced themselves WAY out of the market for what they are selling. Sure there are some nostalgia buyers out there, and some older folks loaded with cash and looking for a fun way to zip over to the corner store, but for the most part a scooter buyer is going to be 15-20 and looking for basic transport to school and the part-time crap-paying job. They need a 50cc motor to dodge license and insurance requirements, and they need something CHEAP. That demographic can't AFFORD a $3000 scooter. That's the most I've ever paid for a used CAR! I can't even imagine how anyone thinks ANY 50cc scooter is worth that kind of money. Are these things gold-plated and garanteed to run FOREVER? No! Sure the chinese disposables have some distance to go in the quality department, but they're not ALL bad either. I bought my son one for $600 new in the box, and he rode it for a couple summers with NO problems, then sold it for $500. I didn't think it a bad deal. If I put $3000 into it he'd have to ride till he's thirty to make it worth it. AND lots of people are buying them just BECAUSE they're cheap. For under a grand they can scoot around town and have some 100 mpg fun with it. But would those same people EVER consider sinking the money in on a Vespa? 'Course not! They'd just get in the car.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny you mention LG. They called themselves Goldstar under the LG umbrella in the 80's, if you're old enough to remember that(which most of us are.:(). Wasn't really known for high quality back then. More like, low quality, huge boom boxes with lots of lights. They have become an electronics leader these days, so your point is well taken.:cool:
Funny enough, even Goldstar had their gems. I set up a store display once with 4 of Goldstar's cheapest VCR's and they ran playing the same tape over and over, (auto replay). I th9ught they wouldn't last over a couple weeks. A year and a half later they were finally killed by a power surge, having never failed one time or even chewed a tape. All 4 of them. ya never can tell.

Top Bottom