• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Coronavirus Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbacksfan81

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Also in the news "BRAZIL STOPS COUNTING, DEATHS NEAR 400K!".

Your quote is a bit misleading.

Global fatal cases hit 399,785, up 4,552. Deaths are now 6% of the world’s confirmed case total. At the current rate, global deaths will reach 400,000 in a day.

As Brazil Causes Soar, Government Stops Counting

Brazil has become the hardest-hit nation in the world behind the U.S. Confirmed cases have reached 676,494. Active cases hit 338,366, up 16,059. Deaths rose 997 to 36,044. That is a higher increase in deaths than the U.S. count.

Many believe that Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro has “managed” COVID-19 case counts to protect himself from public criticism. This, in turn, has led experts to believe the figures from Brazil are too low. Bolsonaro said on Twitter, “The cumulative data ... does not reflect the moment the country is in.” At the same time, the nation said it would suspend public reporting of COVID-19 numbers, according to Reuters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...ing-deaths-near-400000/ar-BB159Ja3?li=BBnb7Kz

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I lived in Recife, (Pernambuco) Brasil for about two years. A friend’s housekeeper took me around the favela she lived. There is no such thing as privacy or separation. I am going out in a limb here, (and there is a study I am familiar with regarding Hispanics of Mexican heritage) that says ‘hand washing is culturally lacking’). I can attest that same cultural shortcoming exists in Brasil, as well. Please don’t get all ‘up in arms’ on my apparent insensitivity to Hispanic/Latino heritage as to the differences between Spanish and Portuguese.... I am pretty well versed in both cultures, histories, and languages: there are huge differences and there are also huge similarities. I would never associate a Brasilian with a ‘North’ (proper) or Central American.
My observation regarding Pre-COVID hand washing is that many ‘Proper’ Americans don’t practice hand washing after using a public restroom. I imagine that same group isn’t following the COVID hand washing/hand sanitizer recommendations along with their similar infringement regards for other medically sound policies that limit COVID exposure in the USA.

Many countries and cultures that are ahead of us in the spread and control of the virus feel sorry for our culture.

Last edited:

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
“My observation regarding Pre-COVID hand washing is that many ‘Proper’ Americans don’t practice hand washing after using a public restroom. I imagine that same group isn’t following the COVID hand washing/hand sanitizer recommendations along with their similar infringement regards for other medically sound policies that limit COVID exposure in the USA.

Many countries and cultures that are ahead of us in the spread and control of the virus feel sorry for our culture.”

——————————————
Yes, we have pockets of the same bad habits here. That’s for sure! Just one example is the $ 25million fine the Chipotle franchises had to recently pay. The inner city is rampant, generally. Here in DC, we joke that one way you can tell you’re in a bad neighborhood is by how much chewing gum is on the sidewalk. That’s a nasty litter habit, not much different than not washing one’s hands: it’s all about being considerate and tidy.

I, tho, do not feel guilty about our culture. I think it’s pretty great, that’s why so many people come here to complain. FYI

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Key takaways:

While both the flu and COVID-19 may be transmitted in similar ways (see the Similarities section above), there is also a possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher than that of most strains of the flu.

Current information suggests that the mortality rate for COVID is at least 2x that of the flu. There are several other important differences, such as known treatments and vaccine availability for the flu.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t dig real deep but can’t find any worldwide flu death totals except estimations that it could go as high as 650,000.

Regardless, at this stage of the CV, considering all the early and even recent projections, a death rate even at twice ** that of the flu is pretty underwhelming. We sure committed a lot of resources, money, and time.

** Even 2X may well be a ‘Forward Looking Statement.’ We know how those pan out.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t dig real deep but can’t find any worldwide flu death totals except estimations that it could go as high as 650,000.

Regardless, at this stage of the CV, considering all the early and even recent projections, a death rate even at twice ** that of the flu is pretty underwhelming. We sure committed a lot of resources, money, and time.

** Even 2X may well be a ‘Forward Looking Statement.’ We know how those pan out.
Let's put it this way. SO FAR... Worldwide there have been 408,734 deaths and 3,536,154 recoveries.
So that's a total of 3,904,888 resolved cases. 408,734 deaths divided by 3,904,888 total resolved cases give you a death rate of 10.46%.
WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO START DOING THE MATH CORRECTLY? When are the ostriches going to take their heads out of the sand?
This death rate has not changed much during the entire pandemic and we have no reason to believe it will change anytime soon.
This thing is massively deadly. My theory is: Like Jack says, "You can't handle the truth"
The ugly truth is that of the people that either died or recovered, MORE THAN ONE IN TEN DIED.

BTW, I don't think you'll ever find a flu in history that reached anywhere near 10% using deaths per resolved cases. If you do, show me..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom